Maillard 700 Compact Freewheel (6-speed)

Private Small Ads only. Dealers, traders or commercials will be deleted.
Stoneybatter

Maillard 700 Compact Freewheel (6-speed)

Post by Stoneybatter »

Tidying up my bike stuff, I came across a Maillard 700 Compact Super freewheel, which came to me with a Bob Jackson I acquired in rough condition and parted out. It was all Campag, so I assume the previous owner rated the freewheel as worthy of that company. It has a range of 14 to 24 teeth, over 6 cogs, and is in excellent condition for its age. The threading is the usual 24 tpi, and I've checked it screws on to a standard freewheel thread. The French not being noted for compatibility, I was surprised to find that my old Suntour 2-prong freewheel remover fits it perfectly. I'd like to swap it for something vintage or interesting. I can post a picture when my wife gets home with her phone.
Barrowman

Re: Maillard 700 Compact Freewheel (6-speed)

Post by Barrowman »

Might be interested in this.
Can you be more specific re your 'vintage' requirements?
Stoneybatter

Re: Maillard 700 Compact Freewheel (6-speed)

Post by Stoneybatter »

I only really work on old British bikes, so what I had in mind was some vintage component, preferably of English manufacture, which might come in handy one day. A brake mechanism, stem, pair of pedals etc. Anything considered really. I notice that Pedal Pedlar have a similar freewheel, used, on sale for £50, although it's a different range of cogs. They seemed to be available in many variations. Mine is a good general-purpose spread, I think. Claimed to be L'Eroica compliant, and apparently dates from the 1980s. I never used a block with more than 5 speeds. Sorry, forgot the photograph. I'll get that organised tonight.