Default 20mph for Wales

Jdsk

Re: Default 20mph for Wales

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, it would be much better if there were many more higher quality controlled trials.

But when there is insufficient evidence it's much better to say so than to make sweeping statements.

Jonathan
Albrecht

Post by Albrecht »

Pete Owens wrote: 5 Aug 2022, 12:50pm On one that would be sufficient to replace the 30 signs with 20 signs on all the boundary streets On the other ...
It's a no brainer, isn't it?

Even just removing all the lamppost and road marking clutter, indicating what applies where, would be a win on its own.

it's simple, one rule. "If it's in a built up area, and it's got street lights, it's 20 mph" (dual carriageways included). I'd support a nationwide roll out.

I guess now the Tories are going to avoid it and play pass the parcel onto the next Labour government, so they can blame them instead.

In London there's a more unique equation with Transport for London seemingly being a law unto itself above and beyond the local governments it crosses or effects but I drove along Marylebone Road recently and, from memory, most or all of it was 20mph. Sure, it's frustrating as hell.

Especially as the van gearing wasn't set up for it.
rodking

Post by rodking »

Its good to see all this discussion on 20mph limits for Wales.

We created a briefing on the actual 20mph Order at https://www.20splenty.org/wales_20mph_order

For those interested in casualty reduction when implemented then its typically 20-40% as evidenced in Edinburgh, Bath, Calderdale, Cheshire West and Chester. All done without physical calming, but lots of engagement.

Note that now there is little difference between zones and limits because a zone only requires a minimum of a single physical calming device which can be anywhere within the zone.

Much more is available at www.20splenty.org/briefings

Rod
rodking

Post by rodking »

For anyone who is interested, here is a video of a presentation made to Road Safety GB on why UK should set a national 20mph limit like Wales.

https://vimeo.com/653008691

Best wishes

Rod
Albrecht

Post by Albrecht »

rodking wrote: 6 Aug 2022, 12:08pm Its good to see all this discussion on 20mph limits for Wales.

We created a briefing on the actual 20mph Order at 20s Plenty
Are you a cyclist and part of 20s Plenty? If so, here's hoping it's a success and set a precedent for the rest of the nation.

A long time ago I tried to get a "2020" campaign off the ground to bring about the same at our borough level but it went down like a lead ballon. That was for a 20pmh limit for the year 2000!

As an automobile engineer, do you have any response to the comments regarding re-gearing motor vehicles to limit their performance and make lower speeds more comfortable? (I appreciate that it is a big ask to expect the Clarkson-like dominated industry to accept!).