Defective Sora LH shifters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Valbrona

Defective Sora LH shifters

Post by Valbrona »

So you move the FD to the outermost position ... only it doesn't stay in the outermost position but drifts inward by ~1/2mm, just enough to get chain rub on the outer cage. Actuate the lever again and the FD moves outward ~1/2mm, only to drift back inwards again.

Any comments folks?
I should coco.
rjb

Re: Defective Sora LH shifters

Post by rjb »

Possible issue is your cable is too taut and needs a bit more slack to fully engage the top stop. Back off the adjustment and try it. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

The LH shifters seem to go for a premium on eBay. I suspect they're a weak design.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Sounds like a cable issue where the cable will only take so much tension before it gives a bit.
Is your outer cable in perfect condition with well trimmed, blunt (not chisel pointed) ends, and good end caps ? You will need to remove those caps to check the strands of the casing. Also check the plastic outer sheath for longitudinal splits - not always easy to spot when the cable isn’t tensioned.
Also the inner cable may be frayed at the end within the shifter.

I have just had an motor-assist Giant brand bike in for servicing. It has 2x11 Shimano flat-bar gearing and it requires, in my opinion, excessive pressure on the shift lever to front shift even with a new, impeccably installed cable. This is not uncommon and unforgivable on a leisure bike likely to be ridden by less able and/or elderly users. I suspect the front mech is designed for drop bar shifters which have a longer lever. The action, feel and sound of that drop bar lever (I don’t remember which model, I’m afraid) made me suspect it was destined for a short life-span.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Eventually worked it out ...

If you unscrew the outer limit screw so far that there is no contact at its tip, then you get exactly the effect I describe.

(The cage on a Sora front mech is, I believe, too narrow for a 9 speed chain).
I should coco.