How to get a bike from Camden to Tunbridge Wells - THE CONCLUSION

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
danfoto

How to get a bike from Camden to Tunbridge Wells - THE CONCLUSION

Post by danfoto »

I live near Tunbridge Wells, and I do not own a car. I would like to buy a bike from a place in Camden, and that place is unwilling to arrange delivery. And at the age of 75 I really don't fancy walk-bus-train-walk to Camden then riding the new bike to Charing Cross, taking the train back, then 7 miles on a very busy commuter road home.

Suggestions for a way forward? Any recommendations for a courier firm who could be trusted with a brand new fully-built bike?
Last edited by danfoto on 11 Aug 2022, 6:03pm, edited 2 times in total.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
simonhill

Re: How to get a bike from Camden to Tunbridge Wells

Post by simonhill »

There are plenty of courier companies that will carry a boxed bike. Search by size on the web.

However, this will require bike shop to box it for you and then you to partly assemble.

Another much more expensive option would be to get a large taxi or small van to do the run, but be careful of emission zone charges.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

I would be happy with that but the shop won't sell the bike boxed - only fully assembled and "wrapped".

And to answer the obvious question, nowhere else has got the bike I want ...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I understand that you are reluctant to fetch it yourself, and not knowing all the details I wouldn’t have the temerity to attempt to dissuade you from that, but I will point out that there is actually a very easy, pleasant in fact, way with a bike from Camden into your area:

- cycle down to Kings Cross/St Pancras. You can go along the canal towpath if you don’t fancy the streets;

- Thameslink train to Three Bridges;

- cycle Worth and Forest Ways into your district.

The stations at both ends have good lifts, the trains have excellent bike accommodation, and the cycling is flat and easy.

I use this route to visit family in Crowborough, although the last few miles up to Crowborough definitely is neither flat nor easy!
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

I am obliged to you for that but for various reasons it's unfortunately not on.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Someone like City Sprint will probably be able to courier it for you - but the cost will depend on the bulk and weight. You'll probably also need to pay a bit extra for insurance if it's expensive.

Will the shop build it, then wrap it in bubble wrap?
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

st599_uk wrote: 4 Aug 2022, 9:14am ... Will the shop build it, then wrap it in bubble wrap?
Yes. But not remove pedals or rotate bars ... :(
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

They really are not helpful, are they!

No possibility of buying more locally, from someone who is helpful?
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Nearholmer wrote: 4 Aug 2022, 9:31am ... No possibility of buying more locally, from someone who is helpful?
As I stated in my second post, nobody else has the bike I want.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

danfoto wrote: 4 Aug 2022, 8:01am I live near Tunbridge Wells, and I do not own a car. I would like to buy a bike from a place in Camden, and that place is unwilling to arrange delivery. And at the age of 75 I really don't fancy walk-bus-train-walk to Camden then riding the new bike to Charing Cross, taking the train back, then 7 miles on a very busy commuter road home.

Suggestions for a way forward? Any recommendations for a courier firm who could be trusted with a brand new fully-built bike?
I would suggest you contact West Kent CTC member group if they have any member who works in London and lives in TW. You will need to make worth their while.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Can you take the bike on the tube? If it's an e-bike - no but as has been suggested there is an easy towpath cycling route to Kings Cross
My option:
Kings cross to Strood ( South Eastern) easy to take a bike
Strood (has Lift) to Tonbridge - change at Tonbridge for Tunbridge Wells.
There are other suggestions upthread.

You mention your age but there are plenty of us on this forum who are older than you (me inc) and unless you have some physical difficulty your age shouldn't be a problem - I'm assuming if you can ride a bike you don't have a mobility issue, although there may be many factors which provide you with a difficulty.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Thanks to one and all for the suggestions. I am delighted to report that a local(ish) dealer reckons he can get me the right bike in the right size (but the wrong colour) in a fortnight, so all of a sudden I've taken a liking to a very uninspiring shade of sort-of-green ...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Glad it's sorted.

Anyone reading the OPs previous posts will see he recently had a new knee. I hope it's going well and you get on with your new bike.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

The knee's doing very well indeed, thank you. I passed the 3 month point on Tuesday actually, and to all intents and purposes it's as good as new. 125 degree flexion, full extension and only the occasional twinge in the night if I lay on it funny. Even kneeling on it works: just feels peculiar :D
danfoto

Re: How to get a bike from Camden to Tunbridge Wells - UPDATED

Post by danfoto »

So here I am with a thrilling update. Having given up with the unhelpful shop in Camden, all hopes were pinned on the local-ish dealer who said he could get me the bike I want in the right size but an insipid colour in a fortnight. That was Thursday. Ever since, I have been waiting patiently for the promised invoice upon receipt of which I could pay 50% down and tie up the deal.

However, it is now Saturday evening, and despite multiple promises by email and by phone (after I rang them, not after they rang me) I still have no invoice and I am still no nearer to confirming anything in writing. The quoted fortnight has though turned into more like 4 weeks. I am therefore no longer interested in doing business with the shop even if they undertake to deliver the bike I want to my front door on Monday next without fail, in the size and colour I want, gift-wrapped, with free Ortlieb panniers, Marathon Plus Tours and a hundred quid off, together with a bunch of bananas, a large fruitcake and a bag of the finest weed hand-picked by dusky veiled maidens.

We now hit the pause button until Tuesday, when I hope to be able to report a happy ending to this lamentable tale.