Pump, compact, that actually works.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Nearholmer

Re: Pump, compact, that actually works.

Post by Nearholmer »

Perfick!

Quite why the search function didn’t find it, I don’t know.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Other thread read and inwardly digested, Topeak Road Morph G procured, and I have to say that I’m hugely impressed.

Many thanks for the help.
peterh11

Post by peterh11 »

Sounds like you have found your pump!

For anyone else reading this, I have a Lezyne micro floor drive HV, which is small enough to mount on a bracket next to the down tube bottle cage (if you are careful with arranging the hose), light, and easy to use on wider touring and gravel type tyres. Recommended from my experience with it pumping tyres with Presta type valves up to between roughly 2.5 and 4.5 bar, and carrying it on a long weekend tour recently.

My one criticism of it is that the pressure gauge is hard to read accurately as it seems to be the same as on the high pressure pumps, so if I had to replace it I might not bother with the version with pressure gauge.

Peter H
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

The other thread seemed to suggest that the Topeak and Lezyne ones are ‘neck and neck’, so I bought the one I could get in time for several days of cycling planned for next week.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

https://www.7hundred.co.uk/accessories/ ... qjEALw_wcB

I use this most of the time and it sits neatly inside my frame bag -- have 2 now cos I thought the first one I bought 4 years ago has passed the test of time. Pumps to 90psi --- I have the smaller giant one that goes to 120psi but I find it slow to pump 2" tyres ( it works well for up to 28mm tyres but because I learned that softer tyres mean I can sit on the thing longer means I can go further in a day I find the 90psi pump handier ) the 120 one doesn't have a T handle which is a bit of a footer but one plus is that it has a pop out screw on ( to tube valve ) rubber tube so it's easy to attach.

I like the 90psi one with T handle and more capacity so much I have one for the mtb with valve set to schrader and the other one set to presta for the road bike.
I am here. Where are you?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I like the Specialized Air Tool, but it’s quite big for a mini pump, about 10 inches long, does a good job of getting tyres up to 90-100psi. My wife has the Air Tool Mini which is half the size, looks nice, fits in your pocket, but it’s completely useless for pumping up tyres!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Yes, I think one of the two completely useless ones I have is the very same thing!

It’s a tad deflating in both senses when you go to add five or ten pounds of pressure to a tyre, and the pump manages to swiftly reduce pressure to ambient.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I bought a 'pump up the volume' from PlanetX a couple of years ago and it's very impressive (which I didn't necessarily expect as it was on a sale price of £4.99). It's a pump with a dual -section plunger tube if that makes sense, so it extends to give a much longer stroke. I've used it a few times on the road as well as at home.
CJ

Re: pumps for road bikes

Post by CJ »

ANTONISH wrote: 30 Oct 2017, 8:26am When I go on a club run there are many and various inflators available but my frame fit Zefal HPX pump is always in demand.
Likewise my Topeak Road Morph with gauge: easy pumping to a full and certain pressure. It fits instead of a bottle cage. Not sure if Topeak also do a below/beside-cage mount. As my carbon road/gravel/touring bike has three sets of bottle mounts, I don't need that.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I used to have (probably still got it somewhere) a Blackburn mini pump with a bracket which fitted directly to bottle cage mounts, but which could also be ziptied to a tube; it was designed with slots expressly for this. I used to have it under the top tube. It wasn't, however, a particularly good pump.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I have the topeak road morph and a Lezyne mini floor pump. They both work which is a step up on many mini pumps but there are pros and cons. I find the Lezyne easier to get to pressure and the longer hose useful. The screw fit is good but can result in disaster if the valves unscrew with it. The press on of the topeak is easier but a pain if you have bought tubes with short valves by mistake! In terms of storage, I use two Velcro straps on the horizontal wooden dowel inside the Carradice barley saddlebag which keeps the pump clean and out of the way.
freiston

Post by freiston »

peterh11 wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 7:39am Sounds like you have found your pump!

For anyone else reading this, I have a Lezyne micro floor drive HV, which is small enough to mount on a bracket next to the down tube bottle cage (if you are careful with arranging the hose), light, and easy to use on wider touring and gravel type tyres. Recommended from my experience with it pumping tyres with Presta type valves up to between roughly 2.5 and 4.5 bar, and carrying it on a long weekend tour recently.

My one criticism of it is that the pressure gauge is hard to read accurately as it seems to be the same as on the high pressure pumps, so if I had to replace it I might not bother with the version with pressure gauge.

Peter H
I have that pump too, also mounted to the side of the seat tube (I use a small shaped rubber block with velcro straps from ebay - originally marketed to strap a torch to a rifle barrel).

Re. the pressure gauge - I have put a piece of yellow insulation tape around it at the mark for the "maximum" pressure for my tyres. I can see the red indicator getting closer to it and I know that when it's on the tape, I should stop. I also find it easy to "gauge" pumping to a lower pressure by the distance to the tape.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

geocycle wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 5:52pm In terms of storage, I use two Velcro straps on the horizontal wooden dowel inside the Carradice barley saddlebag which keeps the pump clean and out of the way.
Neat storage idea.
andrew_s

Re: pumps for road bikes

Post by andrew_s »

CJ wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 4:34pm Likewise my Topeak Road Morph with gauge: easy pumping to a full and certain pressure. It fits instead of a bottle cage. Not sure if Topeak also do a below/beside-cage mount.
The Topeak Peak DX bracket fits the Road Morph, and holds it below/to the side of the bottle cage
Jamesh

Re: Recommendations for Travel Track pump

Post by Jamesh »

Sweep wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 7:27am
freiston wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 10:38pm
mumbojumbo wrote: 21 May 2022, 7:37pm I have puncture proof tyres . . .
mumbojumbo wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 9:19pm Available in all bike shops
Two very bold and astounding claims. At least tell us what the make/model is. My first thought was Tannus until you said available in all bike shops.
I think you'll find them next to the everlasting legs.
Next to the cycling wife obvs!!