Tap water tips

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Des49

Re: Tap water tips

Post by Des49 »

Mike Sales wrote:In France I generally used the camping municipal. Often free by the football pitch using the toilets there.

Yes, quite useful, often use them to stay overnight. But sometimes there are areas devoid of municipals.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Mike Sales wrote:In France I generally used the camping municipal. Often free by the football pitch using the toilets there.

Agreed, discovered that there are not so many 'campings' in Picardy.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Food store shuts for lunch, +1!

Could be quite dangerous in bad hot weather in la France profonde, one would have to try talking to people, ask for water. In French :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Food store shuts for lunch, +1!

Could be quite dangerous in bad hot weather in la France profonde, one would have to try talking to people, ask for water. In French :wink:

After a while in France I realised that my "De l'eau, s'il vous plait" sounded more like "De l'or…..
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
hamster

Post by hamster »

True, but it's a case of banging on lots of doors of totally shut-up houses. Of course it's possible. I've often had real generosity - for example a lady whose house overlooked a little park saw me setting up my stove at lunchtime. Two minutes later she came out with a kettle of boiling water, all unasked-for. :D Lovely!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

avez vous de l'eau si vous plait?

is that it?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I ws looking at an app on my windows phone called CYCLESTREETS. One of the features is POI and one is DRINKING WATER. when selected give a list using your gps locand distance and also plots them on a map with a pointer. It doesnt show them all eg the 2 at KingsX but does one at St Pancras. Cycle Sreets uses OpenstreetMap I think.

Maybe this app is also on Android?
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:I ws looking at an app on my windows phone called CYCLESTREETS. One of the features is POI and one is DRINKING WATER. when selected give a list using your gps locand distance and also plots them on a map with a pointer. It doesnt show them all eg the 2 at KingsX but does one at St Pancras. Cycle Sreets uses OpenstreetMap I think.

Maybe this app is also on Android?

I think so but it sounds like its search data is not kept up to date.

On Android, in the AAT app when viewing a map, tap the right quarter of the screen (to display the map menu), then v (to open the Point Of Interest search) and enter search term [amenity="drinking_water"]; (or use the menus to recreate it) then click v again to search the visible map area for it. It finds five in the KX/StP area - the ones discussed already except the restored corner one, plus one by Google and one by the Lighterman.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
farafield

Post by farafield »

This app may be useful when sourcing drinking water https://www.refill.org.uk/
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

elPedro666 wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 9:29am More for when you're away from dense civilisation but last year I picked up an MSR Trailshot water filter and absolutely love it - being able to drink from literally any source is very liberating! Under £40, small, very lightweight and filters seem to last for ages. Image

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my CLT-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.
Interesting.
Any update on how this has been performing?
On your point about the filters, I see the specs say that each filter is good for 20,000 litres.
Is there any other limit? - ie possibly a time limit after you initiate usage of a filter?
If not I could I think safely use this for the rest of my life and never need another filter - so a one-time purchase - 20,000 litres is a hell of a lot and a when out and about much of the time one would have easy access to more traditional sources.#
Sweep
Deodar

Post by Deodar »

Get the 'Water-map" app on your smartphone ;-)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Vorpal wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 11:55am
mattheus wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Drinking water is mapped on OpenStreetMap https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/51.54571/-0.17585

It sometimes takes a little work to find it in a search, but it's visible on the map.
Ooo! That could be useful ... <tries it> ... are there many in the UK??

Quick test only shows one in Oxfordshire:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?qu ... 98/-1.2237
As I said, it sometimes takes a little work to find them in search. I don't think that they are consistently categorized by county. Essex turns up nothing, for example, but if I put in a specific town, it usually turns some up.

Putting 'drinking water oxford' for example finds more than 'drinking water oxfordshire'
https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?qu ... 3/-1.26993

'drinking water Essex' gets no results, but 'drinking water East England' turns up results in Essex.

Also, anyone can add stuff to OpenStreetMap. So if you know of public drinking water in your area, you can add it.
OSMand, based of course on OSM, has a specific POI label for "drinking water" so you can find water points very easily.
all works offline.
Sweep
GideonReade

Post by GideonReade »

I just tried "drinking water" on Maps.me, and it showed a fair scattering near me, including the rather random standalone tap where the South Downs Way crosses the A24. So that seems to be another OSM app that can show it.