Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: Travelling with a touring bike on a train in the uk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 2:37pmAre there any t&cs when booking to confirm that weird rule/decision.
"Even if you have a reservation, bikes are always carried at the discretion of train staff":
https://tfw.wales/ways-to-travel/cycling/bikes-on-board

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Steve X wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 2:18pm We reserved our two bikes, reserved with Transport for Wales, from Llanfairfechan to Chester today, and boarded no problem. As we proceeded towards Chester several Bikes including a couple of folders were refused permission to board, as the train was busy.

When we got off, I asked the conductor what would have happened if there had been any bikes on the train when we boarded, would they have had to get off. He said no, he would not have let us on. The reservation is not a guarantee.

I would suggest that the only way the reservation will guarantee you a space with TfW, is if you get on at the terminal station.

I suspect there are some pretty unhappy cyclists along North Wales coast today.
Sounds awful - terrible - I'd send the train company a mail and ask them to account for themselves.
What if your ticket for transport of your good self had been an economy one for a specific train?
your ticket would then surely have been worthless?
Sweep
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

simonhill wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 2:37pm Steve, that's terrible. Are there any t&cs when booking to confirm that weird rule/decision.

I had something similar albeit in Spain, with better results. I booked and when train arrived I was directed away from bike to wheelchair area. No problem, bike stowed OK. When guard came I showed him my e- ticket. He then asked for bike ticket. He was obviously unaware I had booked a bike on that train. Really makes you wonder, as in your case, why bother to book.
I did think the booking, gives a false sense of security. Also I am used to using Northern Trains and their carriages seem to be older with a bit more space, so more flexible on fitting extra bikes on.

Usually it all works out, but I did feel sorry for those left behind today, as our reservation was the last available today, so suspect those cyclists will be struggling. :(
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 4:02pm What if your ticket for transport of your good self had been an economy one for a specific train?
No, if the guard won't let you on the booked train, your ticket can then be used on the next available one. I believe that's also the case if you have a ticket for a specific train and the bike space isn't bookable, though I haven't had cause to test that. I was once issued with an "Authority to travel any route" letter from the station manager, when a platform alteration wasn't announced in time for me to get my bike up and down two lifts, it meant using trains my cheap ticket hadn't permitted me on, which resulted in getting there an hour earlier.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PH wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 4:37pm
Sweep wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 4:02pm What if your ticket for transport of your good self had been an economy one for a specific train?
No, if the guard won't let you on the booked train, your ticket can then be used on the next available one. I believe that's also the case if you have a ticket for a specific train and the bike space isn't bookable, though I haven't had cause to test that. I was once issued with an "Authority to travel any route" letter from the station manager, when a platform alteration wasn't announced in time for me to get my bike up and down two lifts, it meant using trains my cheap ticket hadn't permitted me on, which resulted in getting there an hour earlier.
ah yes, ta, this rings a bell.
have never yet tested this though.
question - how do you prove that you couldn't get on/weren't allowed on the specific train and didn't just decide to turn up late for the next one or just missed your train?
Sweep
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I had this problem on TfW trains last year. I had an Advance ticket and a reservation for the bike, got on the correct train OK, train broke down on approach to Rhyl, after waiting for about an hour everybody were turfed out at Rhyl. I tried to get on the next train but the guard would not let me because it was busy. I got on the next one and the ticket inspector knew that there had been some disruption so allowed me to travel, no bother. I arrived several hours late but all my fare was refunded so not too bad really.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:27pmquestion - how do you prove that you couldn't get on/weren't allowed on the specific train and didn't just decide to turn up late for the next one or just missed your train?
I'd take photographs with the date and time and location.

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:43pm
Sweep wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:27pmquestion - how do you prove that you couldn't get on/weren't allowed on the specific train and didn't just decide to turn up late for the next one or just missed your train?

Jonathan
not sure i understand
surely you don't mean a selfie with accommodating guard of unavailable train wagging a finger at you and the bike with the station clock in the background?
Sweep
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:47pm
Jdsk wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:43pm
not sure i understand
surely you don't mean a selfie with accommodating guard of unavailable train wagging a finger at you and the bike with the station clock in the background?
I'd use my iPhone. It records the date and time and location of photographs.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:27pm ah yes, ta, this rings a bell.
have never yet tested this though.
question - how do you prove that you couldn't get on/weren't allowed on the specific train and didn't just decide to turn up late for the next one or just missed your train?
it's happened to me three times in 25 years, one last Easter:
Once at an unmanned intermediate stop on a train from London to Birmingham, possibly Stratford on Avon but I'm not sure, the guard marked my ticket, I think with his ID number.
Then a train out of Derby when the preceding one had been cancelled and mine was already rammed, no one told me I couldn't get on, it just wan't possible, had my ticket exchanged at the ticket office.
Then last Easter, my train Nottingham to Peterborough was packed and the platform staff said I'd be better of on the Skegness train and changing at Grantham, he spoke to the guard on that train, then arranged a bike reservation for the last leg, though worse case I could have ridden it.
I don't know what the official process is, my experience is the staff are nearly always helpful.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I don't think I've ever not got on a TfW (or Northern) train with a bike (solo or tandem). Most weeks, for the last 8 years - apart from a gap due to pandemic restrictions, I get a TfW train to Chester from either Newton-le-Willows (longer ride but only 1 train & considerably cheaper) or Warrington (shorter ride to Wigan but 2 trains) arriving just before 9am. More often than not there are 3 or 4 bikes in the 2 bike spaces & several people with additional bikes standing in the vestibule areas. I've never had trouble from the guard & I only recall one frustrated guy muttering about putting folk off because he was having trouble getting through the train. We've also done longer return trips out of Chester (Birmingham, Telford/Shrewsbury, Bangor, Rhyl), usually with the tandem, again with no problems on TfW.

In fact on one service earlier this year that could have been problematic the guard went out of his way to be helpful. We were travelling back to Chester with the tandem from a cycling weekend in Ironbridge & were getting the train from Shrewsbury. We were approached on the platform by the guard, who was taking over at Shrewsbury, to let us know that 2 of the 4 carriages had had to be taken out of service & the train would be busy with everyone in the remaining 2 (plus it would be picking up football fans at Wrexham travelling to Chester). He opened the bike section of the closed off part of the train to store the tandem & we then found seats in the other half. Because the train was indeed very busy, especially at the Chester end, by the time we got off the guard had already unloaded the tandem & was waiting on the platform with it to hand back to us.

I've never intentionally had a TfW bike reservation, only when I've been making a reservation for a connection & staff have done a TfW one as well automatically.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Keith Holyoake

Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Post by Keith Holyoake »

Hello,

New member here.

Considering cycle touring next year into northern France, Belgium and Germany - been to this area many times by car but exploring the options of a cycle tour from home (Lincolnshire) without car.

Least enjoyable part of the journey is from home to south-east (ferry or Eurotunnel) so considering using the train for this (with possibility of some train use with bike while in EU too).

Never done this before so hopefully someone will be able to offer advice.

I want to be able to travel with my bike but prefer to have it in view so I can ensure it is not going to get battered in transit - is this possible? Have looked at some of the rail websites and the rules seem well hidden and differ from provider to provider. My bike is not super expensive but has survived scratches and scrapes so far and I’d like to keep it that way!

Thanks in advance of any information.
Nearholmer

Re: Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Post by Nearholmer »

Have looked at some of the rail websites and the rules seem well hidden and differ from provider to provider.
Well summarised, and spot-on!

I think EM and LNE are “reserve ahead and put it in the bike rack” providers, while South of London it’s turn up, and go outside of peak times, and where you put your bike is in easy view.

Now, depending upon where you live in Lincolnshire, Peterborough might be a good “take off” point, because that it served by Thameslink, which is a very bike friendly provider, outside peak you walk-up and get on, and the bike spaces are good, you can sit next to your bike, and I’ve never found trouble bagging a space because each train has plenty. Their trains run straight under London and by changing between their trains (same platform) at St Pancras you can get to Ashford (change for Dover) or by changing at Three Bridges you can get to Newhaven. I like their services because they avoid the complications of central London.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

The two most useful threads are

"Travelling with a touring bike on a train in the uk":
viewtopic.php?t=151886

and

"Europe 2022":
viewtopic.php?t=149284

There's a vast amount of useful information and experiences in those. I'd encourage you to have a look at them both and ask in whichever seems more appropriate.

Jonathan
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

French regional trains (ter) are relatively easy to use- you don't normally have to book.
TGV's are problematic for assembled bikes but some have bookable bike spaces.
I haven't used Belgian trains for a few years but they used to be good.
From my limited experience of German and Austrian railways they are quite bike friendly.

I don't use Newhaven because it seems to take several changes of train to get to my nearest station (Rochester in Kent) although it's not that far from Newhaven.
We used thameslink and Southwestern to get to Portsmouth (for St Malo ) in September.
Southeastern is very easy to use - not much dedicated bike space but you can put your bike in the vestibule (make sure it's on the right side)- and no need to book - there are limitations for rush hours.