PedalCell dynamo for charging phone etc

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
DGG1941

PedalCell dynamo for charging phone etc

Post by DGG1941 »

I’ve read some excellent reviews of this product but am struggling to figure out if it can be fixed to my ICE Adventure. Anyone experience of fixing this to a trike?

https://pedalcell.com/

Ideally it would work off the 26” rear wheel to give higher output but the lower of the two horizontal chain stays does not have enough space above it and the one above it has a bracket inconveniently welded in place and there’s a mudguard support in the way. And I can’t make use of the luggage rack as I have rear suspension.
Attachments
51CD21A6-1F90-4F9F-92B2-B95E95F6817C.png
When I see an adult on a bicycle I do not despair for the human race, H G Wells.
Psamathe

Re: PedalCell dynamo for charging phone etc

Post by Psamathe »

No suggestions to question but it does look quite large. Have you considered https://www.velogical-engineering.com/d ... n/?lang=en. I've not checked power outputs, charging mechanisms, etc. but Velogical have a range of fitting options (and they mention recumbents). But it's (Velogical) less of a package and you'd need something else to get to the USB power outputs. Just a thought if you are having problems finding something that will fit.

If Velogical's offering was of interest you could contact them re what you'd need to e.g. charge a battery pack.

Using my solar panels which have 2x USB outputs they charge some stuff fine but would never charge my iPhone X - the phone screen kept switching on which meant screen drawing loads of power which limited charging a lot. How successful direct charging devices from a dynamo would be (where your speed varies and you stop at junctions) would depend on the buffering in the regulator circuits ... and I'm already talking beyond my technical experience/knowledge.

Edit: Just found a review of Velological's offering (not the device the OP was asking about - sorry) https://www.bikeradar.com/features/so-i ... k-anymore/ and for device charging the suggest using with Busch + Müller E-Werk + cache battery.

Ian
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

“Ideally it would work off the 26” rear wheel to give higher output ... ” .

I’m a bit puzzled by that comment, for Dynamos that work off of a rim or side wall the wheel size isn’t a factor that has much to do with performance. Road speed, tyre surface speed and rim surface speed are all closely linked and vary similar in value (measured in linear distance per unit of time). The Dynamo wheel rotates against those surfaces which are being driven along at pretty much road speed.

I like and use bottle Dynamos for lighting, but if I needed power during the day (daylight hours) for other stuff then I’d be using a hub Dynamo. Price wise rim Dynamos are darned expensive, to me they make hub Dynamos look like excellent value.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
DGG1941

Post by DGG1941 »

Thanks for the input about Velogical, a really neat piece of engineering, although I’m still leaning towards the PedalCell - if I can fit it as it is specifically aimed at charging devices directly.

“I’m a bit puzzled by that comment, for Dynamos that work off of a rim or side wall the wheel size isn’t a factor”

My simple maths suggests that a 26” wheel rim will travel 30% further per revolution than a 20” wheel, therefore providing 30% more input to the dynamo at low speeds; and low speeds is a given for this old cyclist (the clue is in my username!). However, it seems that I may have to resort to running it off the front wheel, which given there are no forks will be an interesting challenge.
When I see an adult on a bicycle I do not despair for the human race, H G Wells.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

DGG1941 wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 8:22pm“I’m a bit puzzled by that comment, for Dynamos that work off of a rim or side wall the wheel size isn’t a factor”

My simple maths suggests that a 26” wheel rim will travel 30% further per revolution than a 20” wheel, therefore providing 30% more input to the dynamo at low speeds; and low speeds is a given for this old cyclist (the clue is in my username!). However, it seems that I may have to resort to running it off the front wheel, which given there are no forks will be an interesting challenge.
What are you keeping constant in the comparisons?

If it's road speed then the wheel size doesn't matter. If it's number of rotations then it does.

Jonathan
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

DGG1941 wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 8:22pm Thanks for the input about Velogical, a really neat piece of engineering, although I’m still leaning towards the PedalCell - if I can fit it as it is specifically aimed at charging devices directly.

“I’m a bit puzzled by that comment, for Dynamos that work off of a rim or side wall the wheel size isn’t a factor”

I’m sorry that I somehow didn’t make this clear enough. For a rim Dynamo the wheel size is (effectively) irrelevant, for a hub Dynamo the wheel size is relevant. A rim Dynamo’s rotational speed is a function of linear road speed and Dynamo pulley diameter, a hub Dynamo’s rotational speed is a function of both wheel size and linear road speed.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
crossy

Post by crossy »

I’ve read somewhere that the the velo Dynamo has to be upright to prevent water getting in. On a trike on the rear chain stay the Dynamo will be on its side.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

DGG1941 wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 8:22pm My simple maths suggests that a 26” wheel rim will travel 30% further per revolution than a 20” wheel, therefore providing 30% more input to the dynamo at low speeds; and low speeds is a given for this old cyclist (the clue is in my username!).
The periphery of the dynamo pulley is always travelling at road speed regardless of the wheel size, because the rim is (near enough) at the periphery of the wheel. There is some small benefit to a larger wheel, because the distance from rim to periphery is a smaller fraction of the diameter of a large wheel than a small one, but it's only about 4%. (For a pulley that runs on the tyre rather than the rim, the difference is even smaller.)
Last edited by axel_knutt on 13 Mar 2022, 4:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
DGG1941

Post by DGG1941 »

You are quite right, in my rush to do the maths about wheel size and circumferences, I had forgotten that a smaller wheel has to turn faster than a larger.
Thanks for the lessons in geometry!
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

https://youtu.be/o7xfGuRaq94

Suggests it's badly designed and made :shock:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Are you on disc brakes?
The SON dynamo for trikes is fantastic... you you then need an e-werk or similar, but it's a very good setup.

I don't know if the SA stub axle hub brake/dynamo model ever materialised.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

I've looking at Pedalcell as well.

It seems hub dynamos are designed to output limited power due I believe German law you have this restriction and it's probably got to do with the engineering side of things which bottle dynamos don't fall under. I know the Pedalcell can output way more hence will charge up larger devices during the day.