Another seat post thread

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Gee

Another seat post thread

Post by Gee »

I’m getting a new steel bike soon. Aside from an old Raleigh my first one.

What is the best way to stop the seat post sticking. Should I use aluminium or carbon. There won’t be enough exposed to make much difference to comfort I shouldn’t imagine.

Presumably though carbon wouldn’t stick!
rotavator

Re: Another seat post thread

Post by rotavator »

Gee wrote: 6 Aug 2022, 11:35am Presumably though carbon wouldn’t stick!
I have a steel Cotic Roadrat frame awaiting its final journey to the council dump.....because it has a terminally stuck CF seatpost :( .
pwa

Post by pwa »

If you are lucky you will find that you can liberally grease the post to prevent seizing, whilst not having the thing slip when in use. If you can do that, periodically remove it for re-greasing and you won't have a problem. The difficulty comes when your greased post won't stay put no matter how tight you do it up, and you have to do some de-greasing to get enough friction.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

If using a carbon fibre seat post, do not use hydrocarbon based grease, it might cause the resin to swell up and jam the seat post.
I think silicon based grease won't cause the resin to swell, but to be sure wait until someone else confirms (or not) this.
Aluminium post in steel, grease or - better - copper slip, and redo every year or 2.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Carbon is easy to get out. Especially in a steel frame.
Just use a drill or a round file in an electric drill. Even a square file will bang away at the carbon. A wood chisel would work as well.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

A reamer would make short work of a seized CF post.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

If anyone is about to cut, drill, ream or otherwise attack carbon fibre reinforced plastic and isn't familiar with the appropriate safety precautions I strongly recommend checking first.

Jonathan