rohloff spoke tension

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PT1029

rohloff spoke tension

Post by PT1029 »

I'll be building a Rohloff wheel at some point. I have built other wheels in the past, and am aware that Rohloff website has a section on how to lace the spokes correctly on their flanges, what spoke elbow id needed and the need for flange rings..
Rohloff say the spokes need to be tensioned to 1000N minimum, see here: -
https://www.rohloff.de/en/experience/te ... -stability
However, near the bottom of the above link are 2 drawings, in the left drawing the single (not tandem) wheel shown has 2 tensions marked, 963N and (700N). Above the drawing it says "The comparison below shows the maximum spoke loads (the numbers in brackets are the pretensioned forces of spokes after lacing):" The number in brackets is the 700N number, so
Q1. What tension am I meant to built it too? 1000N or 700N?
Q2. Using a park tension meter, the guage readings are listed here: -
https://www.parktool.com/assets/doc/pro ... -table.pdf
It says the conversion numbers are listed as kgf (Kg force, 10kgf = 1N). Thus for 1000N, you need 100kgf on the chart.
Assuming 14/16g spokes, 2mm/1.6mm I think, looking at the 1.6mm round spoke: -
94kgf = 20 reading on the tension meter.
104kgf = 21 reading on the tension meter.
So for 1000N spoke tension I need a guage reading of 20.5 or more

So have I read all this correctly? If not, please put me right!
The reason I ask is a friend years ago had a Thorn Rohloff wheel spoke break, the spokes were from memory at 24 on the spoke tension meter, at that tension 1 broken spoke made the wheel unridable as it was so out of true. The rim was a Rohloff specific* ceramic rim (I forget the make, wasn't Mavic (*Spoke holes off set circumferencially - not sideways - to reduce spoke bending where they enter the rim).
NickJP

Re: rohloff spoke tension

Post by NickJP »

PT1029 wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 8:15pm I'll be building a Rohloff wheel at some point. I have built other wheels in the past, and am aware that Rohloff website has a section on how to lace the spokes correctly on their flanges, what spoke elbow id needed and the need for flange rings.
Between my wife and I we have three Rohloff wheels - two on single bikes and one on a tandem. None of them have flange rings, as those didn't exist at the time I built the wheels 20-25 years ago. I just laced the wheels x2 with the Sapim Race spokes I normally use (swaged 2.0/1.8/2.0), tensioned to ~100kgf, and have had zero problems with either hubs or spokes over the years.
531colin

Re: rohloff spoke tension

Post by 531colin »

I think the rim you are trying to remember is a Rigida Andra carbide.
Rohloff instructions are special, aren't they?
Maybe the original (german?) instructions are better, if anybody can translate?
I think the "maximum spoke load" business is some form of calculated maximum tension the spokes "should" experience during use.
They can't make up their mind between 100kgf and 70 kgf ...with tyre inflated.......
I simply built mine to 100kgf without the tyre.......70kgf is too low in my opinion, I build fronts to 100kgf.
I think 14/16/14 gauge spokes are 2mm and 1.8mm, I think 1.6 is a particular (DT?) spoke?
I wouldn't worry about half a division on the Park gauge....if you can get all the spoke tensions that close, you should be doing it for a living!
A year or two ago my hub came with flange rings already fitted, I expect they all do now.
i don't know if we have to worry about stress corrosion cracking with Rohloff flanges, but i keep mine nice ang greasy to prevent it....also it gives me a great excuse not to clean it!