Merida Speeder 400 - Bike frame sizing....?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Slothman

Merida Speeder 400 - Bike frame sizing....?

Post by Slothman »

I tried the Merida Speeder 400 (S/M) today (sat on not riden).
To be honest, I really liked the look and overall feel of build quality of the bike. If anything it looked and felt better quality than the Giant Fastroad SL1.
I'm being offered a good deal, with 10% off for Blue Light Card and a free change over from the Tektro M275 hydraulic brakes to Shimano MT200's. (Is this actually an upgrade or not)

Trouble is that there are a couple of things holding me back.

1/ The frame is a S/M (they don't do a S) and feels like is really good geometry for me, a little more relaxed and upright than the Giant Fastroad. However, the there is a small fly in the ointment, the top tube is a little too close to the old family jewels for my liking! Don't get me wrong, it's not painfull, but it is very obviously pressing a little. This is at the lowest part of the tube, with my bum in danger of being intimate with the front of the seat. Although the top tube angle doesn't rise much, it would be more noticable if I straddle the tube further forward. I can touch the ground with flat feet without pain, but I do notice some slight pressure on the nuts.
Based on common theory, there should be around an inch or so between the old undercarriage and the top tube. There isn't.
Otherwise, the bike is a great size. The overall size and reach etc. feel just right. Just the top tube is a little high.
How important is this? Am I right in being concerned about this?

2/ There are fittings for a front mudguard but only the type that goes under the forks and covers a large part of the tyre, the more 'traditional' mud guards if you will. These will (IMO) spoil the sporty look of the bike so I don't want them. I want the type that fits under the diagonal down tube, however there are no fixing points underneath the downtube to secure this, unlike my old MTB. I know this is a silly and fairly unimportant thing, but I do need guards but also want to maintain a nice, minimal and sleek look. I don't want to use cable ties to fit something on (that would look bodged and makeshift IMO) but perhaps there are guards that have an elastic type fitting that would look a little more professional and less of an improvisation?
Not a deal killer but an issue I'd appreciate advice on?
Slothman

Re: Merida Speeder 400 - Bike frame sizing....?

Post by Slothman »

Fair enough, not much interest here.
Anyway, it appears they do a S so that may be my better option. Problem is that there are none in the country, not in the 400 spec at least.
I’m trying the S/M again today but with thicker soles trainers as last time I was wearing fairly flat brogues!
MTB riding trainers (with the grippy sole for walking in) will probably be a fair bit thicker and may just give me enough extra stand-over clearance (as in some clearance as opposed to none).

If it still feels too tight and I can’t get a S in a reasonable timeframe then I have the Giant Fastroad SL1 option, which will be available in a week or so. The M in that has a much lower top bar and gives plenty of gonad clearance.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Slothman wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 4:34pm However, the there is a small fly in the ointment, the top tube is a little too close to the old family jewels for my liking! Don't get me wrong, it's not painfull, but it is very obviously pressing a little. This is at the lowest part of the tube, with my bum in danger of being intimate with the front of the seat. Although the top tube angle doesn't rise much, it would be more noticable if I straddle the tube further forward. I can touch the ground with flat feet without pain, but I do notice some slight pressure on the nuts.
Based on common theory, there should be around an inch or so between the old undercarriage and the top tube. There isn't.
Otherwise, the bike is a great size. The overall size and reach etc. feel just right. Just the top tube is a little high.
How important is this? Am I right in being concerned about this?
I think that you are. It's a problem that isn't going to get better over time. Despite the attraction of the rest of the bike it's bothering you enough to raise it here. Walk away.

Jonathan

PS: Are ointment in the fly jokes permissible?
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

We’ll, I tried it again and did walk away.
It would’ve been a Cinderella’s slipper scenario
Basically the frame is too tall for me, not by a huge amount but enough to put me off.
Back to the drawing board with several options but none available to buy anytime soon.
I’m a bit fed up with it all now.