Sandwiches on the ferry?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

Sandwiches on the ferry?

Post by nirakaro »

Ok, I know I can't take a salami sandwich into the EU any more (I assume this is true even though it's French salami, just going back home), but where, for this purpose, is the border, Calais or Dover? Can I take my picnic lunch aboard, if I eat it before disembarking?
simonineaston

Re: Sandwiches on the ferry?

Post by simonineaston »

Surely, a packet of sandwiches in a pocket is unlikely to draw much attention... ? If found, simply insist that it's vegan salami! :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

What's the wurst that could happen?

Jonathan
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

simonineaston wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:09pm Surely, a packet of sandwiches in a pocket is unlikely to draw much attention... ? If found, simply insist that it's vegan salami! :wink:
You're right of course. I just like knowing what the rules are, even (especially) if I'm breaking them.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

You'll go through all controls at Dover.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

We took sandwiches (peas pudding & ham stottie since you ask) on the Newcastle to Ijmuiden ferry a couple of months ago. No questions asked.
geomannie
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I think that the specific issue arises because the French border controls are at Dover... "juxtaposed".

I don't know where the rules apply... at the point of checking or at the point of entry or both.

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I think he is going from Portsmouth.

At airports the quarantine bin is usually just before Customs or any phytosanitary/foodstuff checking area. Didn't see one in St Malo, but I wasn't looking. I'd just say eat before you land.

Up to each how they treat quarantine. Is that French salami or a knock off copy from a back street slaughterer.We take salami, someone brings in foot and mouth. That's quarantine for you.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

vegan salami 🤣🤣🤣🤣
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Don't laugh... I experienced vegan camembert last week... it was somehow very like camembert, but there was just something slightly weird about it, we all agreed!
cheese made from plants
cheese made from plants
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’d be more interested in bringing cheese home. Looks like that is ok for personal consumption below £300 or so.

Article here - no idea on accuracy. https://www.connexionfrance.com/article ... -to-France

Very sad that the days of seeing how far we could push the car suspension with wine overload in trips back from France have now gone. More Brexit wins of the own goal variety.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

MrsHJ wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 9:01pm I’d be more interested in bringing cheese home. Looks like that is ok for personal consumption below £300 or so.

Article here - no idea on accuracy. https://www.connexionfrance.com/article ... -to-France

Very sad that the days of seeing how far we could push the car suspension with wine overload in trips back from France have now gone. More Brexit wins of the own goal variety.
On meats etc there were always restrictions pre brexit, so i trust this won't become another brexit thread.
Even the old rules could be barmy, for after all the dire warnings you could buy meat butties on the damn plane.
Sweep
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:11pm What's the wurst that could happen?

Jonathan
I don't know by why would anyone have them on their person? Just like marmite to me!! :lol: :lol:
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I think the checks are only going out. From memory, we (UK) have put our controls on hold for another few months while we get our act together.

Apparently the ports were talking about suing the Govt because they had spent millions getting the infrastructure that's not now needed in place.

But I may be wrong.