Help with Prime 38mm carbon black edition wheelset

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Redserpent

Help with Prime 38mm carbon black edition wheelset

Post by Redserpent »

Evening everyone newbie here after a bit of help.

I have a Boardman Road Team Carbon 2018 bike, I’m looking to upgrade the poor standard wheels for some carbon wheels for the weight saving and to run tubeless tyres to help prevent getting punctures too often.

Iv came across some of these Prime 38mm carbon black edition wheelset that gets good reviews and I’m on a bit of a budget. The main question is they are 27.5mm external width, will they fit my bike?

I will run 700x25c Michelin power road tubeless tyres.

Hope somebody can help as I don’t currently have the bike with me to measure it up. Thanks in advance for any help given 🙂👍🏻
tim-b

Re: Help with Prime 38mm carbon black edition wheelset

Post by tim-b »

Hi
There's nothing wrong with Prime wheels, I've got a set. I would ask if, as a "newbie", CF wheels are the thing to have, especially if you're on a budget. My Prime wheelset has aluminium rims and is more suited to the roads that I seem to find :)
The internal rim width affects tyre width so this is more important. Look up the ETRTO tyre/rim compatibility chart
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Redserpent

Post by Redserpent »

tim-b wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:31am Hi
There's nothing wrong with Prime wheels, I've got a set. I would ask if, as a "newbie", CF wheels are the thing to have, especially if you're on a budget. My Prime wheelset has aluminium rims and is more suited to the roads that I seem to find :)
The internal rim width affects tyre width so this is more important. Look up the ETRTO tyre/rim compatibility chart
Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I meant as a newbie to this forum, I’m a well seasoned roadie and have upgraded various bits on my bike and wheels are the last thing to do bar getting a new frame and swapping all of the parts over. I shall have a search for the chart 🙂
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Where abouts are you and what weight are you?

I wouldn't want carbon rims in Yorkshire and only weigh 70kg.

However on the fens maybe!!

How about some alu / carbon rim dura ace c50 wheels?

FWIW
Michelin tyres - pro4 at least are slightly larger than most others conti/Vittoria etc. Therefore with the wider rims will be a significantly bigger tyre rim combination so check clearances careful...
Redserpent

Post by Redserpent »

Jamesh wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:17pm Where abouts are you and what weight are you?

I wouldn't want carbon rims in Yorkshire and only weigh 70kg.

However on the fens maybe!!

How about some alu / carbon rim dura ace c50 wheels?

FWIW
Michelin tyres - pro4 at least are slightly larger than most others conti/Vittoria etc. Therefore with the wider rims will be a significantly bigger tyre rim combination so check clearances careful...
Ha ha I’m in the Midlands, from a place called Worcester and not very far away from the lovely Malvern Hills for some great climbing and descent speeds, I only weigh 65kg 😜

No worries, many thanks for that I think they will fit ok tbh if not iv got some Continental GP5000 I can put on that measure up smaller and not so much of a shoulder on the tyre. Thanks for your reply much appreciated. We as a family recently went to the Lake District and boy did I wish I took my road bike, what a place!! 🙂
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Go for it!

A bit like carbon and other things! unless you try it you don't know what it's like ..!

Just had a weekend in North York Moors.
Glad I didn't have the bike hills a really steep!