Extinguishing a Trangia

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Slowroad

Re: Extinguishing a Trangia

Post by Slowroad »

I've always used a small (empty!) baked bean tin - it keeps your fingers further away from the flame than the simmer ring or the cap.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Sweep wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:30pm I think a second cap for closing down/extinguishing is the answer - must hunt for something.
The lid of my simmer ring fell off after the rivet rusted away.
So I just cut the bottom off a tin can, at the right height, to make an extinguisher.
If you're careful with the cut, you won't get a finger slicing sharp edge.
Plus being a little wider than the simmer ring means it neatly sits over the top of it when packed away.

Luck ........... :D
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

horizon wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 8:49pm
jimlews wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 7:36pm Well, that is what I've done many, many times.
I've just checked my sealing ring and it's perfectly fine.
Thanks for that jim. I have checked the dropping of the screw top and indeed it does drop on, albeit so not completely as the simmer ring. Are you sure you haven't damaged the sealing ring? It may be of course that all these dire warnings are a bit over the top and the damage is possible but not inevitable.
My sealing ring is as smooth as a baby's bottom.

I've had my Trangia for about 25yrs.

Up thread, I suggested leaving the screw top on for 5 seconds.
Actually, thinking back, I think 2-3 secs is sufficient; if that.
My logic has always been that the seal contacts the holes only
when the lid is screwed tight. The small gap between the holes
and the seal allows insufficient space to sustain the flame.
Also, the flame as it comes out of the holes is cooler than it is
further away -ie.- just under the pan
Removing the lid smartly ensures that the seal isn't compromised
by conducted heat.
Of course, if one forgets to remove the lid...
horizon

Post by horizon »

Slowroad wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 8:56pm I've always used a small (empty!) baked bean tin - it keeps your fingers further away from the flame than the simmer ring or the cap.
I've been looking at baked bean tins this evening. Now just to emulate that top quality Swedish engineering...
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Pics of bean tin experiments please.
Am still wondering how you don't get sharp edges.

By the by, for keeping a trangia burner i find the plastic screw pots that nivea light cream comes in work perfectly.

(Nivea cream used to refill crazily expensive small face cream dispensers)
Sweep
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Sweep wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:30pm
SA_SA_SA wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 4:07pm If a tiny flame comes out the simmer ring pivot you can just snuff it by covering it.....
Also, to adjust simmer aperture when in use, its easier to use to metal things, eg a wire tent peg or short stainless spoke in addition to the gripper.
must admit I'm always suprised that Trangia hasn't finessed the simmer ring/tweaked it - manipulating it in use is tricky to say the least.

I think a second cap for closing down/extinguishing is the answer - must hunt for something.
... for a 27 I added a stainless adjuster to an old style pre80s hinged simmer ring, and used for 2 weeks this summer, and was good....
But as that's now an expensive and rare option, for the 25 I will be trying a stainless clone simmer ring with a side cut out so that it can live in beside burner and be slid fully over it when simmering required, simmer control will be by adjusting the stainless shutter as usual. The stainless shutter is needed because the paint on a standard trangia simmer ring will burn off if left beside the lit burner whilst cooking at full power.

The 27 adjustable flip up ring needs an additional snuffer (easy enough just an appropriate sized all-metal screwcap, perhaps with a knob), as the adjuster cannot close completely otherwise flipping the simmer ring down might extinguish the burner.... the 2nd idea may still benefit from a separate snuffer..

Simply upgrading to a stainless adjuster shutter would seem a simple improvement, long overdue, that Trangia could make fairly quickly?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Well after 2 failed attempts I managed to dremel something from an old bean tin that looks perfectish. Haven't actually used it to extinguish yet with it but no reason to think that it won't work.
Packs on top of the burner neatly enough and everything still fits in my screw nivea pot. (I always keep the burner separate from the stove/pan stack)
Thanks slowroad.
Sweep
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

simonineaston wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 5:02pm .... Attempting to blow out the flame is pointless in my experience....
Do you mean the tiny flame from the simmer control pivot set to snuffmode or
Blowing out the unrestricted burner ( full power)...
The latter risking a face of splashed burning meths..?
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Sweep wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 8:18pm Well after 2 failed attempts I managed to dremel something from an old bean tin that looks perfectish. Haven't actually used it to extinguish yet with it but no reason to think that it won't work.
Packs on top of the burner neatly enough and everything still fits in my screw nivea pot. (I always keep the burner separate from the stove/pan stack)
Thanks slowroad.
If you had a Trangia gel burner, you could use the base as a snuffer, and if bring some fireproof wadding such as carbon felt, then you have the bonus a simple backup burner that fits the trangia burner mount...
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Do you not measure your meths out precisely so very little left after boiling your water? I used to do that with another make of meths stoves. Even had a smaller meths bottle with graduations on it. One stove came with a small plastic cup like those used to measure out liquid medicines that need more than the usual 5ml spoon volume. I learnt to adjust volume of meths according to air and water temperature and rarely had a burner continue more than seconds after I needed it. Practice makes prefect though.
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

I remove the O ring and store it when in camp on the Sigg bottle.
Then I use the lid to extinguish the flame.
When breaking camp the O ring, which I don't have to scramble about finding, goes back in the lid.

However, if you are quick and determined, and place (not drop) the lid on the burner the flames will be extinguished instantly and there is no need to leave the lid on place, so you can do this with the O ring in place.

I sometimes do this if I have a brew at lunchtime because it is faster and more convenient than removing the O ring when using the stove for a one off .

I have the gas burner and multi fuel conversions and choose between the three fuel sources according to the time of year and nature of the trip. Summer biking I use meths, canoe camping probably gas, and full winter conditions in the mountains, petrol.

I got my first Trangia in 1978? when still at school....
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

A happy customer then :-) Me too. When I go to meet my maker and am presumably required to fill in the inevitable questionaire on the subject of customer satisfaction, I will definitely be mentioning the Trange. - as well as The Bike - as one of the more positive and reliable of experiences.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
horizon

Post by horizon »

tenbikes wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 9:00am I remove the O ring and store it when in camp on the Sigg bottle.
Then I use the lid to extinguish the flame.
The question for me is How? If it means throwing it on the burner then I don't see the difference between that and using the simmer ring.

I'm just back from a couple of days camping and I suppose now that we are having this discussion I was more aware than ever how awkward this is. I do get a high yellow flame at times so this might be an issue but nevertheless, it seems a cack-handed way of putting the flame out. Much better surely would be a lid-on-a-stick specifically designed and supplied to do the job.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonineaston wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 9:58am
A happy customer then :-) Me too. When I go to meet my maker and am presumably required to fill in the inevitable questionaire on the subject of customer satisfaction, I will definitely be mentioning the Trange. - as well as The Bike - as one of the more positive and reliable of experiences.
looking forward to your everlasting fuel in hell simon?
Sweep
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

^^^couple of posts up........don't throw it. This technique is naff. Be brave and quickly and positively place it.
You can use the lid this way even if the simmer ring is being used.