doesn't like driving...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

doesn't like driving...

Post by simonineaston »

‘I find it stressful’: Lewis Hamilton reveals he dislikes driving outside of F1
I'm with Lewis on this one.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Tiberius

Re: doesn't like driving...

Post by Tiberius »

+1.... :wink:

The last MOT to MOT on our car was 900 miles (NOT a typo). I used to drive 200 miles/day and it was easy enough, but today it's too much hassle. When this car is done so am I.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I used to love it, I'd drive just for the sake of it when I was 17.
Dunno now, I haven't done any for 18 years.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

It depends. One off journey to my sons, Taunton to Mold N Wales on Friday, 7 hours in total, utter nightmare, traffic jams every few miles, very stressful. Return journey avoiding the same sort of hell on Sunday was avoided by travelling late Saturday afternoon/evening...return journey time 3 hours 50 minutes. Not enjoyable but bearable.
Otherwise only local journeys, we avoid motorways and choose quiet routes often through nice West Country countryside which can be quite enjoyable.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

al_yrpal wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 7:47am It depends. One off journey to my sons, Taunton to Mold N Wales on Friday, 7 hours in total, utter nightmare, traffic jams every few miles, very stressful. Return journey avoiding the same sort of hell on Sunday was avoided by travelling late Saturday afternoon/evening...return journey time 3 hours 50 minutes. Not enjoyable but bearable.
Otherwise only local journeys, we avoid motorways and choose quiet routes often through nice West Country countryside which can be quite enjoyable.

Al
I now travel early or (more usually) late. I whistled past your gaff last Friday coming back from Penzance to Oxon - 280 or so miles in 5 1/2 hours with a couple of quick stops. As you say, it's still possible, but timing is all. Same (actually slightly shorter) journey has taken me over 9 hours on one occasion.

Holiday journeys aside, we have cut our driving mileage hugely (save necessary journeys by my wife to her ailing mother who refused to move closer) since lockdown simply changed our habits.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

I drive and ride just for the hell of it.I enjoy it.These days I will take the bike more often than not.I will be going for a longish ride later today,possibly to the coast,possible up to the Dales,possibly both :mrgreen:
I don't get the whole stress thing.If you find it stressful then you shouldn't be driving fullstop.People under stress make mistakes.I don't like traffic jams but they happen.It's not 'stressful' unless you let it get to you!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Well I'm blocked from driving by Her Majesties Government and their henchmen (NHS) . It's a nuisance.. Though I do find it more annoying being banned from doing sit-ups in the Public Sector Gym I'd used for 15 years, not being allowed to get on a bus before 09.30am, not being allowed to look at a book in a Public Sector Library, or work, or go for a swim :?

But the &$$%^*()) can't ban me from cycling, so 183 miles over the past three days. Nor can the ^$^&*() ban me from walking, or using a private gym or private library. Just need to find a decent private sector pool and I'd be sorted :wink:
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

gbnz wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 1:38pm Well I'm blocked from driving by Her Majesties Government and their henchmen (NHS) . It's a nuisance.. Though I do find it more annoying being banned from doing sit-ups in the Public Sector Gym I'd used for 15 years, not being allowed to get on a bus before 09.30am, not being allowed to look at a book in a Public Sector Library, or work, or go for a swim :?

But the &$$%^*()) can't ban me from cycling, so 183 miles over the past three days. Nor can the ^$^&*() ban me from walking, or using a private gym or private library. Just need to find a decent private sector pool and I'd be sorted :wink:
Never known anyone being banned from a library before - what is their reason ?
peetee

Post by peetee »

Driving here in West Cornwall is fairly stress-free if you avoid rush hour. There is however a noticeable drop in driving standards and courtesy during the school holiday periods. I imagine that’s down to outsiders bringing their cut & thrust habits with them.
I’m off to visit Hampshire in September. Not looking forward to it, to be honest. I shall leave at Stupid O’Clock in the Morning, get there for breakfast and do the same on the way back. I’m very much a stay in the slow lane and listen to an audible book kind of guy these days.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

peetee wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 4:08pm I’m off to visit Hampshire in September. Not looking forward to it, to be honest. I shall leave at Stupid O’Clock in the Morning, get there for breakfast and do the same on the way back. I’m very much a stay in the slow lane and listen to an audible book kind of guy these days.
I have friends who do this when they drive from Yorkshire to Devon/Cornwall.I don't get it.We set off around 08:30-09:00 on a Saturday morning and usually arrive in Woolacombe by 14:00-14:30 depending on stops.There's usually a bit of slow traffic around Bristol but other than that it's straight through.Maybe everyone is driving at stupid o'clock :lol:
The only time we set off late in when going to France.Leave here around 21:00 to get to Dover around midnight.That way we're well on our way in France by early morning and can be on the South Coast by late afternoon/Tea time 8)
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

I find driving usually quite relaxing.
In fact, back in our caravanning days, I looked forward to loading up the 'van and setting off. By the time I'd towed the caravan to where ever we were going (usually north Wales or north Cornwall/Devon) I was totally chilled and fully into "holiday" mode.
Not sure about the drivers behind though :lol:
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I'm another one who now doesn't like driving.

As for setting off at Oh-dark hundred, I do it.
I look at where the worst traffic will probably be during the morning/evening rush hours.
Then I try to plan to not be on that stretch of road at that time.
So heading north from Northampton to Hexham, I find a 4 AM start ideal.

Luck ............ :D
peetee

Post by peetee »

PedallingSquares wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 5:26pm
peetee wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 4:08pm I’m off to visit Hampshire in September. Not looking forward to it, to be honest. I shall leave at Stupid O’Clock in the Morning, get there for breakfast and do the same on the way back. I’m very much a stay in the slow lane and listen to an audible book kind of guy these days.
I have friends who do this when they drive from Yorkshire to Devon/Cornwall.I don't get it.We set off around 08:30-09:00 on a Saturday morning and usually arrive in Woolacombe by 14:00-14:30 depending on stops.There's usually a bit of slow traffic around Bristol but other than that it's straight through.Maybe everyone is driving at stupid o'clock :lol:
The only time we set off late in when going to France.Leave here around 21:00 to get to Dover around midnight.That way we're well on our way in France by early morning and can be on the South Coast by late afternoon/Tea time 8)
Add an hour and a half - on a good day - to get as far as us. The stretch after the Newquay exit of the A30 is particularly fraught at the moment. It’s still single carriageway with roadworks at the intersections and speed limits for the adjacent earthworks.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Driving is stressful, or at least mentally demanding, because a moment’s inattention is enough to cause mayhem, and on very busy roads, especially fast, busy roads that becomes doubly true.

And, it is mind-numbing tedious at the same time, which is really quite an achievement for any task!

I’ve always preferred riding on a train (very relaxing), or riding a bike, but unfortunately they aren’t practical options for every trip.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

It does rather depend on where you're driving. Luckily I live in France and nowhere near a city. There is a short rush 'hour' and you may have to wait 2 or 3 minutes to enter a roundabout if you travel at this time.
We don't need to do this so we drive outside of this time when the roads are relatively empty.
On visits to my daughter in west London I know I couldn't manage driving in the congestion and was happy to let her act as chauffeur.

You'd think I'd like driving but I don't. I drive when forced to but try to avoid it.
I think it's to do with advancing years as even on empty roads you still have to concentrate and this makes me feel tired.
It's odd because I don't feel the same if cycling. I do get tired but not the brain strain that I get from driving.