Foot sticking out after breaking leg; what issues to expect???

Jdsk

Re: Foot sticking out after breaking leg; what issues to expect???

Post by Jdsk »

531colin wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 6:04pm If right handedness is due to the left brain controlling speech, that just pushes the question back one step, to "why does the left brain control speech?"
There isn't a straight answer... yet.

The first step is to separate what we actually know about which functions are where from the vast amount of left brain/ right brain pseudoscience that's out there.

And the second is to look at how it works in other organisms. Here's a Scientific American article from 2009 which I think isn't paywalled:
"Evolutionary Origins of Your Right and Left Brain"
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... eft-brain/

Jonathan

PS: Those of an inquiring mind may be wondering at this point how coded genetic information can ever generate asymmetry. Either for the brain or for the heart and associated plumbing...
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Bsteel wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 7:00pm
531colin wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 6:13pm Do you know if you hold the bike upright as you ride?
.....clue....although I am left eye dominant, when I ride I see the right side of the front wheel.....in other words, the bike is leaning to the left; I also make a bigger bum bone dent on the right side of the saddle.
Nice to find out others suffer from being lopsided. I started by trying to work out why by the end of a ride my left shoulder seemed higher and I had more weight on that side of the bars. I think that was in part caused by my pelvis being rotated, once aware I've tried to straighten up which seems possible as long as I remember to check that I'm sitting square whilst riding. I'm hopeful it's just bad patterns that had been ingrained from past injuries,
I had a poor time a few years back; left cleat set for maximum "heel out", painful calf from holding the heel out against the spring in the pedal; pedal extender that side helped......then I decided to try to hold the bike upright! As long as I remember to check frequently that I have got it upright, everything works! Cleat at a sensible angle, ditched the extender, pain free. Its when I'm tired that I really have to work at it!
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

Jdsk wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 7:55pm [The first step is to separate what we actually know about which functions are where from the vast amount of left brain/ right brain pseudoscience that's out there.
What does seem truly amazing is the ability of the brain to restructure itself after something as dramatic as a hemispherectomy.
irc

Post by irc »

I naturally ride with my feet pointed slightly outwards. With one set of shoes I needed to modify the sole to avoid heel strike. Just cutting a 45 degree slice off the inner heel of the right shoe to end up with the edge sloping in for about a cm or two.

May not be enough in itself but worth considering along with other modifications.
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

I have modified boots etc for other reasons, so im very open to this idea.
It will be a while yet before I can ride.......
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

531colin wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 11:55am My daughter rides horses; she says most of the population tend to have their right foot "leading" (as in; in front of the left foot) when sat on a horse....this is a difficulty, as it tells the horse to turn.
Does anybody know why most of the population are right handed? Are we mostly right footed as well?
In general I don't think there is any great need or drive to be completely symmetrical?
I am almost ambidextrous; that is, most things I can do with either hand (or foot).

When I played football, I played on the left because everyone else on the team, except one were essentially right footed. Our lefty played left back & I played left midfield. We practised with both feet, of course, and even had some exercises that were intended to develop strength & accuracy with the left foot, but I was the only one who was equally good (or bad, as the case may be!) with both feet. Our lefty was the only one who was better with her left foot.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Vorpal wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 10:15amWhen I played football, I played on the left because everyone else on the team, except one were essentially right footed. Our lefty played left back & I played left midfield. We practised with both feet, of course, and even had some exercises that were intended to develop strength & accuracy with the left foot, but I was the only one who was equally good (or bad, as the case may be!) with both feet. Our lefty was the only one who was better with her left foot.
There are some wonderful examples of handedness in competitive sport.

There's the game theory analysis of why it's an advantage to be in the minority in tennis and boxing.

In snooker O'Sullivan put enormous effort into playing both ways because of the small advantage that it gave. But in contrast to tennis and boxing that was independent of the handedness of the opponent.

And in the game that I really care about both Wilkinson and Carter were noted for kicking with either foot. It's common to select teams so that there is both a left-footed and a right-footed three-quarter. And although everyone has to be able to pass the ball both ways very few have identical actions to left and right.

Jonathan