Foot Position on Flat Pedals

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
kncowans

Foot Position on Flat Pedals

Post by kncowans »

Hello all

I hope you are well.

I am just getting back into Cycling after 16 Years, I used to Bike to Work but when I had to leave Work in 2006 due to Poor Health I stopped Cycling.

I have just received my New Bike, a Trek Dual Sport 3 in Matte Black, Size XL and am trying to get out on it as much as I can, I only received it on Friday Last Week so I have only been out on it a few times so far and only for short Rides so I can try to get used to Cycling again.

One issue I seem to be having is that my Feet seem to be too Wide for the Pedals which are Shimano PD-EF202 Flat Pedals.

My Feet either rub on the Crank Arm or fall off the edge of the Pedals.

If I place a Shoe (Five Tens) on the Right Pedal at the Left Edge and measure under the Shoe to the Right Edge of the Pedal, the Gap is approximately 20mm.

Since it has been 16 Years since I was last on a Bike, can someone please remind me of the correct Foot Position on Flat Pedals?

Thanks in advance

Kevin
Jdsk

Re: Foot Position on Flat Pedals

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome

Please could you add a photo of the shoe on the pedal in the riding position.

Thanks

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PD-EF202:

Jonathan
kncowans

Post by kncowans »

Hello

Thanks for the Reply.

Maybe a stupid question, however, you asked for a Photo of the Shoe on the Pedal in the Riding Position, however, I am unsure of the correct Riding Position.

Could you please clarify?

Thanks in advance

Kevin
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Let's start with the ball of your foot over the spindle of the pedal.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

kncowans wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 8:56pm Since it has been 16 Years since I was last on a Bike, can someone please remind me of the correct Foot Position on Flat Pedals?
Kevin
Conventional wisdom has long been to have the ball of your foot over the pedal spindle and your foot as close to the crank as possible.
But really the correct position is whatever suits you. There's a recent trend for longer pedals and a mid foot position. Some have always maintained the advantage of flat pedals is to be able to move your foot around for different circumstances.
I don't know, I do know I prefer a wide pedal and the catchily named HT PA03A suit me more than any others I've tried.
kncowans

Post by kncowans »

Hello

Thanks for the Reply.

I will try to get a Photo Tomorrow.

I live alone so taking a Photo of my Foot on the Pedal should be fun 8)

Kevin
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 10:31pm
kncowans wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 8:56pm Since it has been 16 Years since I was last on a Bike, can someone please remind me of the correct Foot Position on Flat Pedals?
Kevin
Conventional wisdom has long been to have the ball of your foot over the pedal spindle and your foot as close to the crank as possible.
But really the correct position is whatever suits you. There's a recent trend for longer pedals and a mid foot position. Some have always maintained the advantage of flat pedals is to be able to move your foot around for different circumstances.
I don't know, I do know I prefer a wide pedal and the catchily named HT PA03A suit me more than any others I've tried.
Optimum position is an interesting topic, and I do see less dogma nowadays about the ball of the foot.

But we need to start somewhere to understand the OP's problem.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

kncowans wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 10:32pmI live alone so taking a Photo of my Foot on the Pedal should be fun
: - )

That would be best, but just the shoe on the pedal would help!

Jonathan
kncowans

Post by kncowans »

Hello

Thanks, that would be easier 😀

I will be back Tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

Kevin
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

Hi. My, wider, feet commiserate :-) I regularly find my right foot straying over the edge of my flat pedal on the Galaxy.

For the ideal position, I’d add one for the ball of the foot over the spindle, although mine tend to move about to relieve pressure on long rides. I suspect this is because of my soft soled shoes.

Have you tried pedals with toe clips? An ancient invention, but they keep my feet in the right spot on the Renown.
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

Where or why did using the balls of the feet to pedal originate. It seems to have always been the accepted wisdom?
There are certainly more challenges to the idea now but none that seem to become mainstream. I'm not sure I've ever found a cleated shoe where the cleat can be moved as far back as mid-foot.
kncowans

Post by kncowans »

Hello all

I have taken a Photo of the Shoe on the Right Pedal as shown below:

20220810_084208.jpg

In the Photo it looks as though the Shoe is not over the Spindle, it is, I do not know why it looks as it does.

When the Shoe is on the Pedal with the Ball over the Spindle far enough out as to not rub against the Crank Arms, the Shoe overhangs the Pedal which is not comfortable.

If I place the Shoe on the Pedal at the Arch then the Shoe fits on the Pedal but still rubs on the Crank Arm.

Is there a way to move the Pedals out so that my Feet will not rub on the Cranks Arms?

Hopefully the above makes sense :)

Thanks in advance

Kevin
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for the photo. Please could you add one from below showing the pedal against the sole.

Jonathan