Credit where credit is due

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
eileithyia

Credit where credit is due

Post by eileithyia »

Just back from an extended trip that included the New Forest the IOW and Bucks / Berks area.

Campsite we used at Henley was on a main road but quite a narrow one (Henley - Marlow) and partner was a bit shocked initially at how busy it seemed. However credit to all the motorists we met both on this road and all other roads we used in the area, as everyone waited and passed wide and courteously. Where I could I waved drivers through and we always got a thank you in some form.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Carlton green

Re: Credit where credit is due

Post by Carlton green »

Thank you for that window on driver interaction with cyclists. Whilst I won’t push my luck by going on some fast and busy roads I have found that the vast bulk of motorists behave well near to cyclists.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Nice to hear. :)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

You stayed at Swiss Farm. I lived nearby for 44 years before moving to the West Country. The drivers in S Oxon were always great towards cyclists, here the roads are populated by knuckle draggers with terrible driving skills and very dubious road manners. Same up north so I have observed. Tailgating and serious speeding are common.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

The majority of the drivers in our area of the Scottish Borders are fine on the road with cyclists and sometimes we get a wave from the drivers. Has to be a wee bit of give and take on the single track roads from cyclists and drivers.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Drivers on the Isle of Wight are generally Ok but yesterday seemed like 'be nice to cyclists day'! Every time I pulled in to let someone pass on a narrow lane they thanked me profusely. A few actually pulled in for me and when I thanked them they responded with a big smile and 'You're welcome' or 'No problem'. Perhaps the sunshine put them all in a good mood!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

al_yrpal wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 10:08pm You stayed at Swiss Farm. I lived nearby for 44 years before moving to the West Country. The drivers in S Oxon were always great towards cyclists, here the roads are populated by knuckle draggers with terrible driving skills and very dubious road manners. Same up north so I have observed. Tailgating and serious speeding are common.

Al
hasn't been my experience and i spend a lot of time in your neck of the woods. There are bad eggs in every basket but apart from the appalling driving at 'school run' times, most drivers i encounter are quite courteous, a lot more so than my preferred stamping ground of the 'north Midlands' aka Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire drivers are absolute loonies!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!