handlebar advice

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Slowroad

Re: handlebar advice

Post by Slowroad »

Before you try different bars or raising them, I would suggest you check whether putting your saddle further back makes a difference. That might seem counter-intuitive, but if your power output has reduced over the last year or few years, that will have increased the amount of your upper body weight borne by your hands, arms and shoulders when riding. See the link on bike fitting at the bottom of 531colin's signature for a fuller explanation.

I moved my saddle back in 5mm increments and used 531colin's tip of riding on a slight upward incline at my usual level of effort while gripping the bars lightly to judge when the saddle was roughly in the right position, i.e. when the slight increase in power output prompted by the change in gradient caused me to start pulling on the bars slightly. In other words, instead of my hands resting lightly on the tops of the bars, they lifted up slightly under the extra power output, and my fingers started to press lightly against the underside of the bars.
Thanks Slowster, I'll have a go at that. It will also make me upgrade the rather worn seatpost! (Nothing's ever just one job with old bikes, is it?!)
I would also suggest moving your brake levers in as far as they will go, to the bend, then trimming off the excess length of the bars could be nearly 2 inches each side. That would reduce your reach / stretch, especially if you have shoulder pain. But maybe do it in 1/2 stages, ie 1” just to try
You know what Yostumpy, I was wondering about that, what's stopping me is the cat's cradle of gear and brake cables which get pushed down by the bar bag and make the mudguard rub the tyre... but they do all need replacing and I can maybe do them a bit shorter.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
slowster

Post by slowster »

Slowroad wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 6:05pm what's stopping me is the cat's cradle of gear and brake cables which get pushed down by the bar bag and make the mudguard rub the tyre... but they do all need replacing and I can maybe do them a bit shorter.
If you decide to fit bars like the Ergotec EWG or Mollymawk, you will need significantly longer cables than you have now. I would suggest delaying fitting new cables for the moment, and similarly not buying a new seatpost just yet (it looks like you have plenty of scope to adjust saddle setback with your current post).

I would check and if necessary adjust saddle position first. Only once I was satisfied with that, would I turn my attention to hand position and the bars. With regard to shortening your current bars, you should be able to judge if that would be better for you before actually cutting them. On my first MTB I rode a lot with my palms covering the clamps of the bake levers, because I found that more comfortable than the grips of the relatively wide bars.

Your bar bag sounds like it is one of the traditional models with a wire puzzle support designed for a quill stem. If so, it might make sense to replace that with the newer type which uses a bracket. They position the bar bag higher than the wire puzzle type, which you may or may not prefer, but which should interfere less with your cables. From what others have posted, I understand the Rixen & Kaul bracket (as used with the Carradice bar bag) is a bit easier to transfer to a new bike (or new bars) than the Ortlieb bracket, because the Ortlieb retaining wire does not suit being repeatedly re-used and re-clamped. Unlike Ortlieb's universal bracket, the Rixen & Kaul bracket uses parts specific to the handlebar clamp diameter, but I think the Carradice bar bags are supplied with a R&K bracket kit including both 26mm and 31.8mm clamp diameter parts, so could be fitted to your currrent bars and if necessary be transferred later to bars with a wider clamp diameter, like the Mollymawk.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cowsham wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 7:23pm
cycle tramp wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 5:45pm
Cowsham wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 12:08pm Hired an electric ( volt) bike last week while on holiday but because it was short notice I ended up with this style of bike with swept back bars --- as it turns out I quite enjoyed the relaxed hand position.

20220714_144321_1.jpg
Yeah, absolutely... I've just returned from a 10 minute ride to the shops and back on mine..

..it was great, caught some of the views, from the hill where I lived, enjoyed the breeze and the brief spell of exercise from a day of inactivity....

.the trouble is now adays, if you build a bike which is comfortable to ride, and inexpensive and ride it wearing normal clothes.. its like you're not taking 'it', the 'thing' that is modern cycling seriously enough....

...and to be fair why should i :-) the bicycle is a ludicrously simple, easy to understand, fabulous, wondrous thing which allows us to experience the outside world and get stuff done at the same time... sure we can make it about strava or mileages or technology if we want, but I don't think we should attempt to take any of the joy or freedom or its practical use away from those bikes who don't aspire to be any of those things.
Absolutely agree -- exercise / practical use / should be pain free and stress free.

I'd love an electric bike that looks like a Raleigh Roadster. I'd dress up in 1930's clothes just to ride it.
Well I've gone and done it -- bought a second hand bike with swept back bars
and have ordered an electric conversion kit with the intention of using it for my 30miles commute leaving my normal bikes for off days. I recon I can save the price of the bike over 6 months. Getting to work not soaked in sweat means I'll not have to change and I'll be able to do the commute more times per week. ( atm I've only been able to do it 3 times at best but mostly only twice a week )
I am here. Where are you?
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Cowsham wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 9:59am
cycle tramp wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 5:45pm

Yeah, absolutely... I've just returned from a 10 minute ride to the shops and back on mine..

..it was great, caught some of the views, from the hill where I lived, enjoyed the breeze and the brief spell of exercise from a day of inactivity....

.the trouble is now adays, if you build a bike which is comfortable to ride, and inexpensive and ride it wearing normal clothes.. its like you're not taking 'it', the 'thing' that is modern cycling seriously enough....

...and to be fair why should i :-) the bicycle is a ludicrously simple, easy to understand, fabulous, wondrous thing which allows us to experience the outside world and get stuff done at the same time... sure we can make it about strava or mileages or technology if we want, but I don't think we should attempt to take any of the joy or freedom or its practical use away from those bikes who don't aspire to be any of those things.
Absolutely agree -- exercise / practical use / should be pain free and stress free.

I'd love an electric bike that looks like a Raleigh Roadster. I'd dress up in 1930's clothes just to ride it.
and have ordered an electric conversion kit with the intention of using it for my 30miles commute leaving my normal bikes for off days. I recon I can save the price of the bike over 6 months. Getting to work not soaked in sweat means I'll not have to change and I'll be able to do the commute more times per week. ( atm I've only been able to do it 3 times at best but mostly only twice a week )

Cool! Let us know how you get on. Looking forward to seeing the completed bike.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

cycle tramp wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 5:40pm

Will do
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Just an update now that I have done a few miles on them commuting in traffic.

They do feel ungainly, and the bike now looks and feels tiny but at least I can ride. I have to be careful as pedalling out of the saddle is trickier and definitely does no wonders for my back. On the other hand it does promote a rather laid back style of cycling, which works till I have to get a move on and then remind myself that getting a move on, may well bugger my back.

My bike has a rather sharp steering (its that way from the factory as some sort of quick city bike) so this sort of magnifies that.

So still a win. My cables are about 4 inches too short but I can still brake ok with where they are.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

cycle tramp wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 5:40pm

Yose power rear hub motor kit ( with 13ah battery seemed like it was made for the second hand carrera subway ( the one with the hydraulic brakes ) -- the swap of cassette and brake disc onto to new electric wheel was easy, especially with the tools supplied in the kit.

Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

The installation of the PAS was the simplest and best I've ever seen. Remove the crank with the puller tool provided. Slip on the sensor -- it clips into place like it was made for this bike and looks like it was there from the factory ( very impressed with this bit )

Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Showing the swept back handlebars with controller LCD on -- you'll not see the brake sensors but they are there.

Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

That frame bag was free with the kit as were tools to do the cassette and crank and is not for the motor driver like other kit makers do, that bit is built into the battery housing which is neat in two ways. Firstly it's got it's own heatsink and also does away with external wiring. I use the frame bag for my puncture / bike fixing stuff, new tube etc.

The electric version of this bike only has an 11ah battery and costs £1100 almost twice what this bike stands me but the yose kit has a 13ah battery. Win win!

The only thing I'll change is the 170mm crank arms -- I'd like 175mm -- just that I'm now used to the longer cranks on my other bikes.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Except for the Arkose all of my other bikes have swept back bars which I find comfy on the wrists/hands and arms in general.
I wouldn't go back to straight bars again.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

The photos look like there's a lot of wiring around the handlebars but it's because I have left my bike lock coil hanging on there. -- there are two small brake lever sensor cables extra but they're not obvious. -- I'll take better pics later.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

hemo wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 10:11am Except for the Arkose all of my other bikes have swept back bars which I find comfy on the wrists/hands and arms in general.
I wouldn't go back to straight bars again.
Yes for this electric bike the swept bars are great -- the whole idea of this is to be comfortable on the bike and get to work with no sweating in my work clothes. Tested it the other day in a strong head wind over the 15 miles to work. -- I'd already done a few journeys which amounted to another 15 miles the day before so when I'd got back home from work I'd done 45 miles on the one charge ( first charge ) and still had 2 bars of battery indication left. ( roughly 36.4 v -- down from about 39v )

The strong headwind is the battery Zapper -- on the way back I was in a hurry to get home and had only two bars left so range anxiety had kicked in and I gave a bit more input to the pedals. Got a good workout on way home too.

I still enjoy the lightness of normal bikes more for cycling pleasure but this thing is to be used as transport to work, save money and environment. Better than sitting in a car.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Just to update this thread and the mollyhawk bars.

Ar least I can ride, albeit with some pain but as bad as it was. It does promote a very casual way of riding. The only disappointment/ disadvantage is taking off from standstill. I can't accelerate and its quite difficult to ride out the saddle. Still a win though