Best long distance saddle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nomm

Re: Best long distance saddle

Post by nomm »

Charge spoon... Now and hopefully always on every bike

2 miles to work or 200km audax or 25 miles round the trail Centre

My butt just really likes them...

Tried everything else, at great expense, and I always come back to that first spoon I ever owned in bright red... Rode it till it split and fell apart...
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

Lots of mentions of the Charge Spoon, which I haven't come across before. So now I'm interested.

I normally go for saddles with a cutout, due to the old perineal numbness, anyone have any opinions on whether the charge spoon is so amazing that I can forget about worrying about the lack of cutout? (Obviously subjective, as with any other saddle).

Can't find a website for the manufacturer, just wondering about widths of the spoon and scoop (I have a fairly generous sit-bone distance of about 115mm)
toontra

Post by toontra »

Galactic wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 10:14am I normally go for saddles with a cutout, due to the old perineal numbness, anyone have any opinions on whether the charge spoon is so amazing that I can forget about worrying about the lack of cutout? (Obviously subjective, as with any other saddle).
Which is why I've ended up with the Selle Italia Novus Superflow Endurance mentioned upthread. Cutout all the way to the nose (which is also dropped for aero/on the drops position).

I'm not sure what your definition of "long distance" is but I use this for 1000k multi-day rides without issue. With the Brooks I'd get perineal numbness.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Galactic wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 10:14am
Lots of mentions of the Charge Spoon, which I haven't come across before. So now I'm interested.

I normally go for saddles with a cutout, due to the old perineal numbness, anyone have any opinions on whether the charge spoon is so amazing that I can forget about worrying about the lack of cutout? (Obviously subjective, as with any other saddle).

Can't find a website for the manufacturer, just wondering about widths of the spoon and scoop (I have a fairly generous sit-bone distance of about 115mm)
I have a couple of Passport Navigator saddles which are Charge Spoons (same plastic base, same factory, slightly different finish). One of them is currently not on a bike so I took a picture with a ruler.
IMG_5618.JPG
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

This or a similar thread crops up at regular intervals and the posts are often a repeat of others that have gone before. Perhaps the mods should insist on OP doing some forum research before repeating previous topics. Or go and look at the "The Loaded Touring Bike" website and you will find there are almost 500 touring bike pictures with about 70% using Brooks saddles. That in itself should be a recommendation.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

I have a couple of Passport Navigator saddles which are Charge Spoons (same plastic base, same factory, slightly different finish). One of them is currently not on a bike so I took a picture with a ruler.
Very useful - thank you. It looks like the side of the saddle slants downwards from about 15mm from the edge, giving it a sit-bone-relevant width of about 12cm - would you agree? If so, that would be perfect for me.
Which is why I've ended up with the Selle Italia Novus Superflow Endurance mentioned upthread. Cutout all the way to the nose (which is also dropped for aero/on the drops position).
I'm not sure what your definition of "long distance" is but I use this for 1000k multi-day rides without issue. With the Brooks I'd get perineal numbness.
This looks very interesting, have added to list to watch out for on ebay. (I'm a bit of an easy rider, will do 50-80km per day for months on end or other times just to the shops and back - but would dearly like a saddle that doesn't hurt like dickens after just an hour!)
This or a similar thread crops up at regular intervals
Very true, and I read them all 8) But this time I've found out about the Charge Spoon (don't know how I missed it before!), which suggests that there may be value in rehashing the old chestnuts (no apologies for jumbling metaphors).
freiston

Post by freiston »

Galactic wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 12:51pm Very useful - thank you. It looks like the side of the saddle slants downwards from about 15mm from the edge, giving it a sit-bone-relevant width of about 12cm - would you agree? If so, that would be perfect for me.
The "pads" are quite wide so accommodating for many widths. I find it hard to say, but I reckon a sit-bone width of 12cm is just within the limits of the saddle.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I have a Charge saddle which I’ve put on a number of bikes. It wasn’t dear and always enjoy sitting on it. I think it’s the flex of the base which might give them their appeal.
Over the years I’ve moved to cut out saddles but thought too much of the Charge to ever sell it. In April this year I put the Charge on a bike to do a 3 day camping trip. Comfy no problems until I got home. 12 out of the next 14 nights I had to get up for a nocturnal wee. Which I don’t normally do.
It’s off and back to using a Koobi with relief channel out of my collection
I do wonder about trying the Fabric Line though.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

The "pads" are quite wide so accommodating for many widths.
Thanks for the extra info, definitely helps.
12 out of the next 14 nights I had to get up for a nocturnal wee.
That definitely suggests some pressure in the prostate area. Perhaps I should keep focusing on cut-out/split saddles.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

freiston

Post by freiston »

Jamesh wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 11:43pm https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/biking-bargain ... dle/p53847

Definitely worth a try....
Three models to choose from and complete with seatpost clamp :D
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

This reminds me, I need to get back on a B17, especially since my current saddle is clamped somewhat forwards, but they have gone back up to £80 or £90 again! I saw them at Halford's a few years ago for £55. Knew I should have bought a couple at that price. Maybe in winter the prices might drop again to around £60.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I wouldn't say cutouts are a must.
In fact some extreme cut-outs with sharp edges strike me as potentially increasing any problem.
So be open-minded on that issue.
Trust your bum/undercarriage - if there's any pain in the perinium area, stop riding - try adjusting saddle, if that doesn't work, dump/sell the saddle and look elsewhere.
Some saddles like my old Selle Royale have no cut-out at all but a softer area up the middle.
Sweep
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Jamesh wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 11:43pm https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/biking-bargain ... dle/p53847

Definitely worth a try....
Called in my local Lidl on the way home from my morning ride to have a look at these saddles. Kindest way to describe them is "naff". They are the equivalent to the ones manufacturers put on their cheaper range of bikes.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
AftabX29

Post by AftabX29 »

ANTONISH wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 8:40am
Jamesh wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 10:07pm Selle turbo or brooks for me....

But you need time to break in the brooks

I find it's not very comfortable for the first 30 miles but then the longer you ride the better it becomes.

The turbo I've got 3 the first two wee s/h so u brought a third new from wiggle course cloth which isn't anywhere like the first two.

I'd also look at fabric gel and wittkop saddles esp if time is short.

Finally don't forget chamios cream (on my c2c (first 200/2) I got rash on the rear saddle line so put some there ) and good personal hygiene.
Finding the right saddle can be a long painful process.
I ditched my last Brooks saddle after years of anticipating it would "break in" - it never did.
I am told that leather today isn't the same as in years gone by - all I know is that I had Brooks saddles in the sixties and I found them comfortable - unlike my most recent experience.
I've never used chamois cream - actually I rode c2c last year with no discomfort.
I've tried a lot of saddles and I found my present type at a jumble - a selle italia - I've got a few but it's no longer made.
Any saddle choice depends very much on your own anatomy so good luck with your search.
I second and agree with all the points he mentioned above. Thank you so much. BTW I am new to the forum and exploring new sections. :)