Bus from Killarney to Galway?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
raybo

Bus from Killarney to Galway?

Post by raybo »

I am planning a ride in the west of Ireland (from Cork up to Sligo) but have a limited amount of time. I'm taking the ferry to Rosslare (from Fishguard) and then a bus to Cork in order to get west as soon as possible.

It looks like 3 days of riding between Killarney and Galway. Another option is to combine a rest day with a bus trip up to Galway. Note that I've been to the Cliffs of Moher and driven through the Burren on a previous (car) trip in Ireland.

If I take the bus(es), I get 2 more days up north.

Is skipping the part between Killarney and Galway a worthwhile trade-off to spend more time up north (Westport to Sligo)?
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
Norman H

Re: Bus from Killarney to Galway?

Post by Norman H »

Only you can say but there's more to see between Killarney and Galway than the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren, the Dingle peninsula for instance. I'd also say that there's a world of difference experiencing the Burren from the seat of a car compared to that of a bicycle. I've a cousin in Co Clare and one of our favourite day rides when I visit is the Loop Head peninsula at the mouth of the Shannon. Most folk overlook it in their dash to the C of M but it can be delightful on a sunny day.

An alternative to the bus might be a ferry to the Aran Isles, Doolin to Inishmore for example, and then a second ferry to either Rossaveel or Galway. The Aran Isles are something of a tourist trap these days but still worth a visit.

Much might depend on the weather, it always pays to keep plans flexible in Ireland. It does rain quite a bit in the west and gales can be expected from pretty much now onward. You might well have had enough by the time you reach Killarney. Incidentally, unless you need to be in Killarney to catch that bus, I'd give it a miss. It's a tourist hell hole and there's a very nice route on quiet roads that heads north from the Gap of Dunloe fairly directly all the way to Tralee.