What colour should my new bike be?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
sussex cyclist

What colour should my new bike be?

Post by sussex cyclist »

A thread to show me your favourites.
Nearholmer

Re: What colour should my new bike be?

Post by Nearholmer »

Red, with gold crown and martlets on the head badge, then everyone will know you are a proud East Sussex Cyclist, or think that you stole it from the fire brigade.
FF3F2C4D-0647-4E01-9A3C-0A6F41C20792.jpeg
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

There are a lot of colours I think look good on a bike, say deep metallic purple or deep metallic blue among others. However, some colours make the bike more obvious to the light fingered brigade, so I prefer something more subdued.
I quite like desert sand (see Stanforth's website for some examples), otherwise black is a safe bet for me (new frame will be black).
If you have rim brakes, I can recommend dark battleship grey - blends in with everything (except grass for some reason), and more importantly, the grey sludge from the rim brakes in wet weather doesn't show on dark battleship grey. Gloss dark battleship grey touch up tins used to always be available - the last time I tried, they only had it in matt - the MOD and the Pentagon have a lot to answer for!

Of course these days it is not just colour, it is also a choice of gloss or matt (or bare titanium - polished or dull?). Not to mention bare carbon fibre- invariably black, though some components a few years back were white carbon fibre, not seen this on a frame though.
slowster

Post by slowster »

It depends a lot on the choice of components. Titanium frames generally look better with black components, but silver anodised or polished components usually look better on a painted frame. If you plan to fit black components, you need to choose a paint colour that goes well with black.

Since you are getting the frame made by Woodrup, I suggest you have a look at the colour schemes of the bikes on Kevin Sayles' flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevin_sayles_bikes/.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Is this the singlespeed? A colour to make it look light, so:

- Turkish green
- seafoam
- lavender
- grey
- white

Black, Oxford blue or BRG will make it look like a heavy piece of ironwork. Fine for a tourer, of course.
PH

Post by PH »

Have it painted titanium, that'll confuse 'em.
Last time I had the choice, I went for a mid green RAL6011
ImageAlfie
Last edited by PH on 11 Aug 2022, 9:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Some of my favourite colour ways have not worked on a bike... Probably a combo that has a fair chance is BRG, with a mix of silver (ie ally, s/s - or perish the thought - polished chrome) and gold (ie brass).
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
peetee

Post by peetee »

Black groupset or silver?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Because Brucey's not here, I'll pass on his advice, which was any colour as long as its light - a light colour will help show any cracks in the frame, whereas a dark colour may mask them...

Brucey, I hope you're doing ok
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Mazda soul red lovely colour, hard to paint so I'm told.

I fancy rubbing down my Cannondale and painting it this colour!

https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/maz ... s/soulred/
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

cycle tramp wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 10:07pm Because Brucey's not here, I'll pass on his advice, which was any colour as long as its light - a light colour will help show any cracks in the frame, whereas a dark colour may mask them...

Here here...
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Me too...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

There's a kid around my way whose car is done with that paint which gives a 'rust' finish.
I should coco.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

cycle tramp wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 10:07pm Because Brucey's not here, I'll pass on his advice, which was any colour as long as its light - a light colour will help show any cracks in the frame, whereas a dark colour may mask them...

Plus one for good wishes towards Brucey and, as ever, his advice is logical.

I’d ask the OP what he wants the colour to do or not do. Going for something that won’t attract too much unwanted attention seems logical to me, so a light and neutral colour (like grey) might be a reasonable start point.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
PH

Post by PH »

sussex cyclist wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 7:50pm A thread to show me your favourites.
Not much showing is there?