Gravel road riding

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pwa

Re: Gravel road riding

Post by pwa »

One thing that has occurred to me in the past, and which seems pertinent to this thread, is that whether walking or cycling is the most enjoyable for a particular track is not just determined by the track surface. In forestry, just as an example, some tracks can be graced with long straights and wide, sweeping curves with long sight lines, so that a walker might find the scenery changing a bit too slowly. Cugel's steed will overcome that problem by covering the miles a lot quicker. I know that when I am walking and a particular bit of track begins to go on a bit too long and become boring, I sometimes think it would be nice to have an MTB for a couple of minutes. But I have the whippet with me so walking it is. The whippet is too daft to have alongside me as I cycle.

(A few days back, I had to apologise to an MTBer downhilling in the Forest of Dean, when he and we discovered at the same time that an MTBer at full speed is no match for a whippet. She didn't make contact with him or run in front of his wheels, but of course he slowed when he saw her catch him up. She thought he was playing with her. If we had detected his presence a little earlier we would have had her on a lead as he passed. In our defence, his downhill run was an unofficial one and we were not in a designated MTB trail area, which we would have avoided. )