knee/hamstring - is it my new bike?

531colin

Re: knee/hamstring - is it my new bike?

Post by 531colin »

Yes, I had the magic microsurgery with the camera in the joint space.....never a grumble out of it since!
I think he "just" tidied up the torn bit....I struck lucky, i think, because the NHS were buying time at a private clinic somewhere in Wharfedale at the time; I'm sure the operation would have been done just as well in the local hospital, but the "private" experience was amazing!
Good luck with yours, i think you have a trusted surgeon so all should be well.
mine was actually OK ish most of the time before the op. just a bit swollen and i couldn't really trust it......but when it hurt, it could really hurt!
I was walking to work one day, when it "bit" me......i was clinging onto a lamp-post, a young man came rushing over the road convinced I was having a heart attack, phone out ready to call 999....I couldn't speak at the time, i was just waving at him in a sort of "calm down" way.... decent of him, i thought....I explained what was going on when I regained control of my speech!
robing

Post by robing »

I ended up having 3 meniscal surgeries on my right knee because the surgeon who did the first two didn't do a great job - the second surgeon whom I see now fixed it and I haven't looked back since.
Unfortunately surgeon 1 did my ACL in the left knee..
Fortunately the ACL seems OK and to be fair it has been trouble free for 13 years.
Hopefully surgeon 2 will work his magic on this knee too.
I am moving to Wales soon so keen to get this done beforehand.
Luckily still got some private health cover.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

You say you know your saddle height, is that based on height from the bottom bracket ? if the hybrid has a different length crank you may need to take into account the difference .I had a hybrid that had longer cranks and i needed to drop the saddle height to take it into account , always felt like i was pushing the gear rather than spinning so in retrospect the cranks were probably to long
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
robing

Post by robing »

Yes I always measure from the pedal to take in to account different crank lengths.
I had loads of problems with my other knee and I found the magic saddle height mainly from trial and error which I use religiously on all my bikes.
It's actually a bit less than the usually recommended.
robing

Post by robing »

531colin wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 5:50pm Yes, I had the magic microsurgery with the camera in the joint space.....never a grumble out of it since!
I think he "just" tidied up the torn bit....I struck lucky, i think, because the NHS were buying time at a private clinic somewhere in Wharfedale at the time; I'm sure the operation would have been done just as well in the local hospital, but the "private" experience was amazing!
Good luck with yours, i think you have a trusted surgeon so all should be well.
mine was actually OK ish most of the time before the op. just a bit swollen and i couldn't really trust it......but when it hurt, it could really hurt!
I was walking to work one day, when it "bit" me......i was clinging onto a lamp-post, a young man came rushing over the road convinced I was having a heart attack, phone out ready to call 999....I couldn't speak at the time, i was just waving at him in a sort of "calm down" way.... decent of him, i thought....I explained what was going on when I regained control of my speech!
2 weeks post op - was much more painful after than the last one I had - but has improved loads this week.
Saw my consultant all good and went out for my first bike ride today - 35 miles no problems :D
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Surgery successful, then!
Don't overdo it!
My meniscus tore when I was simply walking upstairs, not doing anything demanding.....I think it was because I ignored a classic warning sign; I carried on as normal with a slightly swollen knee.
Usual "reason" given by Dr Google is twisting under load.....that wasn't my experience.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

robing wrote: 9 Sep 2022, 4:25pm2 weeks post op - was much more painful after than the last one I had - but has improved loads this week.
Saw my consultant all good and went out for my first bike ride today - 35 miles no problems
That's very good to hear.

Onwards and upwards. : - )

Jonathan
robing

Post by robing »

Thanks Colin and Jonathan.
avaricious5

Post by avaricious5 »

Sounds like it's everything except your bike. The ACL reconstruction seems to be quite a while ago so it's less likely to be that. As others have mentioned, it's more likely to be the sciatica you talked about.

Sciatica usually sends a tingling feeling down one side of your leg which is what this sounds like if it feels like it's you hamstring.

The best thing to do would be to check your saddle position/design to make sure it's not agitating your sciatic nerve. I you want to troubleshoot it bit then wearing some sort of knee brace or compression knee sleeve may help to rule out any knee problems if the pain is still present.