Where to start? Secondhand seems affordable

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
JAY78

Where to start? Secondhand seems affordable

Post by JAY78 »

Hi guys

I just randomly started watching YouTube videos of recumbants and I'm actually excited again about riding.

I have a mountain bike but have a problem with my back which stops me riding far or with confidence.

Just wanted to ask a "cheaper" way to get started with recumbants. I'm looking for a 2 wheel and obviously love the cruzbikes but the price is very high for me.

I'm looking to spend upto £1200 for something used but nice.

Thanks

P.s very hard to find even on ebay or Facebook, kinda rare.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Where to start? Secondhand seems affordable

Post by [XAP]Bob »

BHPC or here.

eBay stuff does come up, tends to be a bit more expensive because of fees.

I don't have any two wheelers any more.

In fact there are a few leads in the "giving up" thread
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Gee

Post by Gee »

JAY78 wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 9:25am Hi guys

I just randomly started watching YouTube videos of recumbants and I'm actually excited again about riding.

I have a mountain bike but have a problem with my back which stops me riding far or with confidence.

Just wanted to ask a "cheaper" way to get started with recumbants. I'm looking for a 2 wheel and obviously love the cruzbikes but the price is very high for me.

I'm looking to spend upto £1200 for something used but nice.

Thanks

P.s very hard to find even on ebay or Facebook, kinda rare.
Where are you, I’ve got a Bachetta Giro 20 that may like a new home. I’m in Hull. You’re welcome to come and have a look. I’ve a large area of concrete you can have a ride round on and see how you like it. If you feel like it you can take it for a ride out if you wish.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Cruzbikes use a moving bottom bracket (MBB) configuration. These ride differently to "normal" rear wheel drive bents. Many "normal" bent riders don't get on with MBB bikes. Fast downhills are difficult for some, leading to dangerous situations. Personally, I wouldn't recommend them.
JAY78

Post by JAY78 »

Hey

I was actually looking at the Bacchetta giro which looks really good and is popular.

I'm putting the money together right now and will be ready to buy in around 2 months (sorry that it seemed I was ready now)

But still 100% interested in the bike, what kind if money are you looking for?

I'm in Leicester BTW.

Thanks
Jay
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Try giving Kevin, D-Tek, a ring, 01353 648177.
He's based out of Little Thetford near Ely.
He buys/sells all types of second hand bents.
It's possible to book a trial session with him so you can try various models of bents.

Also I'd treat your first bent as temporary.
If you don't get the bug, then you'll be wanting to sell it in a year or so.
If you do get the bug, then you'll be wanting to upgrade it in a year or so.
So either way, you'll probably won't keep it that long.

Luck ........... :D
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Adding to what was said above, I didn't have the time to go to a recumbent dealer, try some bikes, go home, think about it, go back and buy a bike (it doesn't help that I have no car) so just bought a bike within my budget and tried that for a few years. In the end I sold it (a HPV Speedmachine) as I bought a trike and the SPM was bottom of the pile in terms of preference. Had I more space I would have kept it - but the shed is tidier now.
If I buy another 2 wheeler I will have a better idea of what I do/don't want.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

If at all possible, try somehow to get a test ride. There are so many variables such as Long Wheelbase, Short Wheelbase, variations in seat height, bottom bracket height. even front wheel drive. Suspension, no suspension. From my limited experience a highish seat with low bottom bracket is easiest to learn to ride initially, and tend to be slower, low seat and high bottom bracket with more lean back are harder, probably are faster and might be better as a progression from the first type. Whichever type you start with will have a steep learning curve.

if you are of average height you will have better chance of finding something that fits you within its range of adjustment. If you are unusually tall or short you might have to try a few.

Of course I didn't take my own advice and like @belgiangoth found something within budget and travelling distance and bought it untried. Fortunately for me, it was an Iowa Linear which being a lengthy Long Wheelbase bike could have been a disaster with me being on the short side and looking like a flea on an elephant's back. Owing to the unusual amount of adjustability that the Linear has, I got it to fit perfectly.

Fools rush in... Luck has a part to play but I got to like it a lot despite its quirks. I have ridden it Quite a Lot and have no plans to sell it.
It's not for everyone, but when you own a recumbent you become your own expert. Since I had no expectations about what I wanted in a recumbent, I found out by riding it and it was eminently modifiable to suit what I wanted.

I fancied a Short Wheelbase bike after a year or so "just to see how I got on", a Dawes Low Rider and that was a different story. Low seat, slightly higher bottom bracket, 7 speed nexus hub gear, easy to ride, a nice bike but the minimum reach is just a little long for me at 5'6" despite shorter cranks, using seat back cushions or other dodges. Annoyingly, my son finds it a good fit at 5'7", so 5'7" and upwards seems to be the size. Oh to be Mr Average. Another one bought untried but it just hasn't worked out. If I'd bought this one first I might have had another view of recumbent riding. It's currently on ebay but if anyone would like further info please message me.

Anyway, the point of this post is, get a test ride if at all possible!
Last edited by a.twiddler on 13 Aug 2022, 9:50am, edited 1 time in total.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

There is a tidy Bacchetta Cafe on Facebook marketplace for £400 near Bath. Has a CroMo frame. You'd need to keep an eye on the main frame weld underneath but I couldn't see a problem after a quick inspection.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

There is a good choice of rather nice recumbents up on eBay at the moment at what I think are reasonable prices. I'd suggest now is a good time to pull the trigger if you are wanting to try the 'bent experience. You can always re-sell come spring next year if you don't take to it, or switch to another machine having learnt what works or doesn't work foryou.