Ghost puncture!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cugel

Re: Ghost puncture!

Post by Cugel »

Mick F wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 4:26pm I don't give a toss about spoiling the thread on the valve stem.
I have spoken to my valve cores (all of them, including the spare) to warn of your savage attitude to their threads.

"If you see Mick", I suggest, "hunker down and don't draw attention to yourself by hissing, glinting or being a bling colour. He's probably armed with a pair of blunt old pliers, scarred with a history of performing horrible grasps and wrenches, not to mention his hacksaw. See if you can get the bell to ring so that it attracts his attention. Mind, who knows what he likes to do to bells that annoy him!"

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

The term bodger is often unfairly used in a pejorative sense.

Conversely, the innovative use of what ever tools are at hand to adequately perform a repair is commendable, so +1 for the long nose pliers, sawn of BA spanner and what ever else works for you.
EDIT:
I should add that what brougt me to this post in the first place was that strangely enough, I had the exact same 'event' as the OP - I stopped for a chat with a mate, and the ytre was flat by the time of a re-mount. At home the bowl of water failed to reveal a hole, either from the valve or anywhere else. Knowing that things do no heal them selves, it was not with much confidence that I replaced and re-inflated the tube - yes, this morning, flat again!

No where's my pliers for that valve? (TBH though, the tube already has a number of patches (which could be leaking in the heat - had that before) so maybe it's time for a new one.
Last edited by bikes4two on 14 Aug 2022, 10:47am, edited 2 times in total.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

bikes4two wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 9:17am The term bodger is often unfairly used in a pejorative sense.
I believe the word comes from the chair bodgers who turned chair legs in the woods on an improvised pole lathe. Skilled men.
Chair Bodger- retired- Reg Tilbury Flowers Bottom -1974 Stuart King image.jpg
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Mike Sales wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 9:33am
bikes4two wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 9:17am The term bodger is often unfairly used in a pejorative sense.
I believe the word comes from the chair bodgers who turned chair legs in the woods on an improvised pole lathe. Skilled men.

Chair Bodger- retired- Reg Tilbury Flowers Bottom -1974 Stuart King image.jpg
That's correct. I've "bodged" a ladderback chair or two myself, hopefully to a high standard.

The term "bodger" became a term for "maker of the poorly-made using sub-standard tools and techniques" because of that capitalism. There were once many very good chair makers in various coppice woods about the nation. A cottage industry. Along came "entrepreneurs" who managed, by one nefarious means and another, to establish a process by which they got the country folk to adopt production-line approaches, in which one fellow made nowt but the back-slats, the side rungs, the legs or whatever. These were then assembled into whole chairs.

As entrepreneurs do, they drove down standards of materials and skills to increase the production-rate and their profits. Piece work meant it became difficult to make chairs and such to high standards as the rate-per-prt was a pittance. The chairs emerging from such "enterprises" got very poor indeed, quality-wise. The entrepreneurs (as owners & managers everywhere do) blamed the producers rather than their nasty capitalist money-making techniques. The "bodgers" came to mean: those who produce sub-standard chairs; then: those who produce any form of sub-standard goods.

Happily, good bodging techniques and producers still exist. Some will teach any of us how to make a chair from a tree. The results can be very satisfying indeed.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Mike+Abbot+ch ... &ia=images

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Conversely, the innovative use of what ever tools are at hand to adequately perform a repair is commendable, so +1 for the long nose pliers, sawn of BA spanner and what ever else works for you.
(snip)
And conversely again, " .... the innovative use of what ever tools are at hand to inadequately perform a repair is not at all commendable, so -2 for the long nose pliers, sawn of BA spanner and what ever else works for you to mangle your bicycle part. :-)

Cugel, with the right tool for every job, including tool-fondling. (They're so shiny and nice).
John Maynard Keynes
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Hi Cudgel,
Thanks for your reply - your posts do make me chuckle as I'm sure many of your coments are tongue in cheek rather than genuinely curmudgeonly.

Any tool, either an improvised one or one purposely made for the task can in the wrong hands be a disaster, so I'd rather use what I have before using up unnecessary resources (as in materials, manufacturing costs, packaging and distribution costs etc) in our consumer driven world.

Dang it - I've fallen fowl of your 'wind up' - still, it's too hot to get out on my bike at the moment and I've got a flat tyre to fix.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey