Ebike hub motor won’t rotate backwards

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Mollycopper

Ebike hub motor won’t rotate backwards

Post by Mollycopper »

Hi could anyone help please I’ve an ebike geared hub motor that will only spin forwards I’ve replaced all the internal gears and the clutch have no chain fitted the motor powers up and spins forward correctly but when I try to spin the wheel backwards it’s locked up all axle bearings are free and I can’t figure out why it’s jamming in reverse any help would be appreciated
jb

Re: Ebike hub motor won’t rotate backwards

Post by jb »

Did it rotate backwards in the past? Is there a sprag clutch in it
Cheers
J Bro
stodd

Post by stodd »

If you don't get a solution here try https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums ... cussion.2/
Also give a bit more detail about the bike/hub motor model. It doesn't have back pedal brakes, does it?

Some sort of clutch does seems likely, but you say you've checked that.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

If it worked previously it sounds like something hasn't been fitted right.

I think on most geared hub motors, the motor spins forward powered as expected and when unpowered spins freely due to the clutch but when rolled backwards the gears are enabled so should be some drag but I guess there may be some models that don't drag in reverse? Maybe the way the gears have been fitted means they are locking rather than working/rotating in reverse so something isn't quite right in the way its been assembled. It's not something simple like the pedal hitting the kickstand as you wheel it backwards? I realise that might be taken as insulting but sometimes these things are out of sight and you don't realise the crank is rotating or something.