Figure heads...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Figure heads...

Post by simonineaston »

Lack arrived by bike – she grew up and still lives nearby – but without a lock, so for a while we wander around looking for a bush big enough to hide her ride.
While I appluad this individual for trying hard to 'make a difference', why is it we appear to need suitable figure-heads to lead our campaigns. Plainer, more ordinary individuals who've been pointing out the increasing risks to do with climate change, deforestation, meat-eating etc. etc. for decades tend to get overlooked.
Or is it just the media that needs the figure-heads and if I care to look hard enough, I'll find all sorts of people, large & small, young & old, from all sort of classes, being carefully listened to and their words taken to heart.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Cugel

Re: Figure heads...

Post by Cugel »

simonineaston wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 2:38pm
Lack arrived by bike – she grew up and still lives nearby – but without a lock, so for a while we wander around looking for a bush big enough to hide her ride.
While I appluad this individual for trying hard to 'make a difference', why is it we appear to need suitable figure-heads to lead our campaigns. Plainer, more ordinary individuals who've been pointing out the increasing risks to do with climate change, deforestation, meat-eating etc. etc. for decades tend to get overlooked.
Or is it just the media that needs the figure-heads and if I care to look hard enough, I'll find all sorts of people, large & small, young & old, from all sort of classes, being carefully listened to and their words taken to heart.
Humans are herd animals - perhaps the herdy-est of the lot! We like to have a member who does the herd-leading even if, Wildebeest-like, the fool takes us all to crocodile creek.

Sometimes we humans go more pack-like, roving about killing & eating with gay abandon. Sometimes we're just a plague, decimating all other consumables about us until they're gone. But whatever groupthink and yobmob mode we adopt, we like to have an instigator, a leader, the self-absorbed eejit who makes the first mad move we then all copy even though something in our self-preservation matrix tries to tell us, "No!".

Some of us like to pretend that we're "individuals". Ha ha ha.

Some like to think we can have "good leaders". Alas, even the best of human intentions come with 99 unintended consequences, at least 80% of which turn out to be tending to the lethal (and not just for we two-legs).

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I don't know who Lack is :?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ANTONISH wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 9:38am I don't know who Lack is
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... n-of-green

Jonathan
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Politicians on bikes. Naw does not light any fires.
Likes of George Clooney or Joanna Lumley. Good Ambassadors for bikes and use of.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

What a strange topic. I prefer not to be lead by some charismatic figure ,but prefer to choose my own pathways. There are people in need of guidance from influencers and trend-setters. Similar people were energised and aroused by fascism, and recently by Donald Trump. Disappointing, even tragic.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cutty Sark's New Figurehead Nannie (© National Maritime Museum).jpg
A figurehead may be on the bow but that does not make it the skipper.
This is the Cutty Sark's.

If Greta had not articulated what a lot of people were thinking she could have sat outside her school as long as she liked and got nowhere.
She turned out to be an articulate and personable young woman, and it is always useful for the media to have such a person to represent ideas. It makes it easier for them to write their stories.

Tolstoy had an interesting idea about leadership.
In his epilogue to War and Peace, Tolstoy contended that kings and generals are history's slaves. Tolstoy believed that leaders merely ride the crests of historical waves that have been set in motion by myriad forces beyond these leaders' control or comprehension.
He was writing about Napoleon.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?