Tyre liners

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
timearl

Tyre liners

Post by timearl »

Hi There,

Has anyone used Griff tyre liners (a series of interlocking plastic plates: see https://griffliners.com)?
If anybody has them, could you post the dimensions please as I want to try and make some myself.
Thanks
De Sisti

Re: Tyre liners

Post by De Sisti »

You could easily email the company and ask the very same question. :idea:
Steve O'C

Post by Steve O'C »

I want to try and make some myself.
My concern about these would be the multiple ridges that I think might over time wear through the inner tube. If you are making your own would it not be both simpler and better to cut a single strip to act as a tyre liner?
Steve
scottg

Post by scottg »

De Sisti wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 9:05am You could easily email the company and ask the very same question. :idea:
The company would probably send you sample, give them a call.
It would be their good deed for the day.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
timearl

Post by timearl »

De Sisti wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 9:05am You could easily email the company and ask the very same question. :idea:
There are no contact details on their website. I tried guessing obvious ones like info@ and help@, but answer came there none.
Steve O'C wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 5:06pm
I want to try and make some myself.
My concern about these would be the multiple ridges that I think might over time wear through the inner tube. If you are making your own would it not be both simpler and better to cut a single strip to act as a tyre liner?
Steve
I could only make a single strip if I had something that long, which I don't. And it wouldn't bend round the tyre (in two directions) anyway.
I've thought of the ridges, I'd shave the edges to stop it happening.
lettersquash

Post by lettersquash »

Looks like a heck of a lot of work - do you have any evidence they really work? I note it talks about cutting the points off thorns, but the points will then be scrubbing about in between the plastic and your inner tube, and I expect might puncture the tube before they get decapitated anyway. I wonder about a strip of kevlar material bonded to the inside of the tyre if you want a DIY option. I guess anti-puncture tyres have something like that already.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

In the early 1980s there was "Tuffy Tape" which was a transluscent plastic strip that lined the inside of the tyre. The ends were feathered and overlapped a bit. Inner tubes still seemed to wear at the point of the overlap, especially if the tyres were under-inflated, so you ended up with an impression of the curved end of the tape in the inner tube, which could fail. I used Tuffy Tape for a while and then stopped because it seemed to cause more problems than it solved.

It appears that you can still get something similar called Mr Tuffy. They may have solved some of the issues in the intervening 30+ years.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Tuffy-Bicyc ... B00MCKB5SM

The overlap seemed to be the point of failure, so having lots of overlaps spaced all around the wheel with this interlocking plate system may not be a step forwards. Getting the plates curved and sitting in the right place inside the tyre and then fitting the inner tube looks as if it may be easier said than done, especially if you had to do it at the roadside. I can foresee much cursing as the interlocking plates spring out of the other side of the tyre as you try and get the inner tube in.

GriffLiners say they welcome enquiries via their Facebook page https://en-gb.facebook.com/GriffLiners/ but this looks a bit dormant, with not much going on for 4 years or more: maybe the market has since concluded that this wasn't such a good idea after all?

As noted above, Kevlar bands and other puncture guard bands that are integral to the tyre seem a better solution.