Seatpost with a bit more setback

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Gee

Re: Seatpost with a bit more setback

Post by Gee »

yostumpy wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 4:07pm Trust me, it works. The sekrit to the dilemma is in the op’s choice of saddle. I use a Spa Nidd (B17 clone) and as such it has a metal horseshoe at the rear, meaning the saddle has to go back 10mm ish further than a plastic padded saddle, otherwise sitting on the rivets gets painful. Ditto C17, different material and cantle plate, but same design. All those doubters,… move your saddle forwards by 10-12mm then try.
I even thought about going back to a different saddle but wanted to give the C17 a fair test as so far it’s feeling pretty good!
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

bikepacker wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 3:34pm I am with you Cugel on this theory and it is a theory which has been discussed in a previous thread. IMO it is a theory of an American guy who just wants to make himself different to other bike fitters and in practice it does not work.
Actually, it's a theory of Colin531, of this forum. Who actually designs bike frames, many of which are ridden by members here who declare them very comfortable.

Colin531's guide is the most useful thing I've read on the subject.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I don’t think Colin will take full credit for it. The man promoting it is Steve Hogg and he is Australian. Perhaps there is an American also I don’t know of?
It based on cantilever action which you can’t argue against.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

LancsGirl wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 8:18am Colin531's guide is the most useful thing I've read on the subject.
Yes, it matches my experience too. I understand why people question it and I think they have some merit if the rider were a rigid body at rest. Trying to model all the the interconnected soft and hard tissue components and resulting forces operating in reality is way beyond any theoretical model I've seen. For example some components of supporting leg weight must be reacted through the core muscles in the torso as well as the pedals and saddle. I've no idea how much this is or how it varies through the pedalling cycle, body shape and position let alone how it's reacted onwards from the core. So to me the empirical approach is still the best.