Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Boring_Username

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Post by Boring_Username »

Thanks Richard. Your work is appreciated.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 5 Aug 2022, 12:11pm Almost there! Just got the basemap finished and generated for the whole of Europe yesterday. (It uses a completely different mapping stack to the website, which enables nice things like offline maps.)
Thank you, have just downloaded latest beta version. Will be testing in luxembourg, Germany and mostly France in a couple of weeks.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

The app is currently with Apple for approval. If they give the ok then I'll open up beta testing to cycle.travel supporters - I think it's pretty much ready but people are very good at spotting things I've missed! All things being equal I'm then hoping to launch it fully in a few weeks' time.

Offline maps and turn-by-turn navigation will be free, so maybe hold off on that Komoot/RWGPS premium subscription for now ;)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Congratulations.

Will the android version follow at some point :)
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Weird Bug?
I'm using via points with notes to become course points on my Garmin but cycle.travel seems to be moving the via point on export.

In my profile on cycle.travel (Psamathe) I have a route IJmuiden to Uithoorn. via point 3 has a note but rxport it to gpx or send to Garmin and the via point/course point is moved a couple of Km earlier in the route. It shows (the move) on export to Garmin connect but also export ad gpx and load into MapOut and the same move happens (so not Garmin) but cycle.travrl? (as the gpx->MapOut goes nowhere near Garmin.

I have had course points in other courses remain in their correct position. Repeated the export snd still happens.

BUT if I drag the via point elsewhere on the route nd save and export to gpx into Mapout it stays in the new position (test1 route same as IJmuiden to Uithoorn just via point 3 moved along course a bit.

Ian
edit: after experimenting a bit more it looks like something weird with via point 3 as I added another point EARLIER in the route and it showed as via point 4 (ie you'd ride past 1, 2, 4, 3, ... In a subsequent route (added UPDATED) I've added a new via point added the same note, deleted point 3. (so new point now renumbered to 3 and dragged it to the correct place and it appears on export in the correct place. So something weird with via point 3 on the IJmuiden to Uithoorn (without anything after).

What is really weird is that they are Waterline route forts and the moved via pojnt to to another bigger fort on the LF-WL route!
Ian
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Psamathe wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 4:08pm Weird Bug?
I'm using via points with notes to become course points on my Garmin but cycle.travel seems to be moving the via point on export.
I had this issue too. Richard recommended generating turn-by-turn directions before clicking export and everything has worked well for me ever since
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I generate all my routes on cycle.travel using a chrome browser then export to gpx, download the gpx file before importing to wahoo. All works well except if I don't have elevation profile showing at the point of download the wahoo just displays the elevation as a flat line. I usually remember but sometimes don't until I'm halfway up a hill in Yorkshire with an elevation profile of Norfolk! Anyone else get this snag?
Richard Fairhurst

Yes - it won't include the elevation in the GPX unless you have it showing at the time of download. Essentially that's because (to keep draggable routes fast, and to keep the load down on the server) it doesn't calculate elevation unless you've explicitly asked for it.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 2:48pm Yes - it won't include the elevation in the GPX unless you have it showing at the time of download. Essentially that's because (to keep draggable routes fast, and to keep the load down on the server) it doesn't calculate elevation unless you've explicitly asked for it.
Thanks Richard, totally understandable, glad I'm not doing something wrong.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Questions/not a complaint I stress - and I can work round this by ignoring.

But if I ask for a route from the top of Dean Street London to The Doric Arch pub on Eversholt Street London (I use this as my pointer for London Euston) I am sent right up Oxford Street to the junction with Tottenham Court Road rather than being sent up the tiddly Hanway Street to cut out the awkward junction.

It eventually occured to me after some fiddling and another oddity (see below) that this is probably because cycle-travel, driven by the OSM data, thinks that I can't turn left from Hanway Street onto Tottenham Court Road, though you actually can on a bike.

Pic attached showing blue sign at Hanway Street/Tott Ct Rd junction showing mandatory right turn "EXCEPT CYCLES".
Screenshot 2022-08-27 17.57.06.png
so, that's the explanation I assume?

But next point - if I do drag/place a point on Hanway Street to make the route go that way, cycletravel makes me do a wierd right, then left on a walky bit to THEN start going up Tottenham Court Road.

Because I assume again that it thinks I can't turn left up Tottenham Court Road.

So to final question and probably the only one that needs asking.
How do I hack that stub out of the route, illegal as cycletravel thinks it is?

Probably my total ignorance, but I can't find a way to do it.

I can of course just ignore the decreed stub as I know the lie of the land but just thought I'd ask in case something similar turns up again and I want to hack something out.
Sweep
Richard Fairhurst

Spot on - there's an "only right turns allowed" restriction in OpenStreetMap and it hasn't been marked as "except for bikes". I've just fixed OSM accordingly so c.t will reflect that next time it takes an update.

The only way to work round it in c.t is with via points - put one either side of the turn, then choose "Go direct" on the first one.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cripes Richard.
Thanks for lightening response.
Have now sorted and thanks for tip on via points - have learned something.
Have long wished to be able to edit/add stuff to OSM for benefit of others but am afraid have never managed to get my head round it.
Thanks again and have a great evening.
Sweep
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Will the Archies web page closure affect your site Richard???
RickH

Post by RickH »

A probably mainly Northern-related question. I noticed a few, mainly short, stretches I often cycle, & get included in routes I plan, being marked as unpaved & it seems to be because they have the surface labelled as "cobbles". Strictly speaking they are setts - square or rectangular flat(ish) topped stones - but further delving shows that even Le Mans Crescent in the centre of Bolton, which has the surface marked as "setts", is marked as unpaved. Is this a deliberate choice in Cycle.travel or just a bit of "collateral damage"? I know the term "cobbles" can convey a wide range of meanings.

An example in Haigh - a 10m stretch of reasonable setts. If you change CT to "paved" it routes you, on foot, through the adjacent churchyard on the (presumably tarmac, I forgot to check labelling in OSM) path & not the cobbled pavement.
Haigh cobbles (setts).png
(Streetview link)

Le Mans Cres, Central Bolton.
Le Mans Cres, Bolton.png
( Streetview link)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Richard will be along to give you an answer soon but prompted by your post, I had a look and eg Welsh Back in Bristol is also marked as unpaved:
Streetview

and c.t seems to preferentially route along Redcliffe St even though this involves two bridge crossings.