Large Helmets

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
AftabX29

Re: Large Helmets

Post by AftabX29 »

iandusud wrote: 4 Jan 2021, 8:58am
KM2 wrote:Hexr.
Scans your head and you have a made to measure one. Interchangeable lids . Solved the problem for my son, better than sculpting the back end of the largest helmets available. Also the weight isn’t felt as the fit is perfect.
I've not come across Hexr. An interesting, if not cheap, option.
Hexr is good but you can try Giant Rivet TT as well. Both these options are good. You can select any of both according to color and the fit of course the price.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Hexr weren't accepting orders last time I checked. Has that changed?

Does the Giant Rivet TT go above 63cm, which is not really large in the terms of this thread?

william33

Post by william33 »

Going back to basics - exactly where are you supposed to measure to get you bike helmet size? If its just above the ears I measure 71cm and I'm going to need something like a bucket!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

If you can't try them on the least worst approach is probably to follow the instructions of the specific supplier, eg Bell:
https://www.bellbikehelmets.co.uk/size-guide-i75

Happy New Year

Jonathan
drossall

Post by drossall »

Actually I've not found size guides that useful. For those of us with larger heads, trying one on is the only way.

As anyone who has read this thread knows, my head is "only" 66cm (8-1/8 in old money). However, shape is also a major consideration, especially when it's hard to find anything near the right size in the first place. My head is long and narrow and, even where I've found a helmet, or other rigid hat, that should nominally fit, it often has not. Conversely, after losing half a season's racing this year, I finally discovered that a Met Idolo, which is rated by the manufacturer as 64cm, does fit. I'm pretty confident in my measurement, and no other hat/helmet that size has ever gone near fitting. So size guides have never done much for me.

That said, I'd be amazed if any manufacturer (except Hexr when/if they start making custom ones again) could get near william33's 71cm. Many reckon that 61cm is pretty large (surely they are joking!), and even the minority who go beyond that don't currently seem to get beyond 64cm. Bell used to do 66cm ones, but that was a couple of decades ago. As for those who do "One size fits all", anyone fancy a class action? It's such an obvious breach of the Trades Descriptions Act that I'd have thought it would be an open-and-shut case.