The Tory mask slips....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Re: The Tory mask slips....

Post by simonineaston »

The true extent to which the Tory hard right intend to turn us all into cash cows in their insane drive for profit, profit and more profit at any cost, has yet to be revealed... however, worse still, their heartless uncaring ideology is creeping steadily across the rest of the Conservative party. Where there used to be some Tories who did care about ordinary folk, they're long gone and have been replaced by a much lower class of individual.
It's about time that ordinary, decent British folk woke up to the damage these selfish extremists are doing... and who appear to be quite cheerful about hiding the true facts.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

simonineaston wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 1:19pm The true extent to which the Tory hard right intend to turn us all into cash cows in their insane drive for profit, profit and more profit at any cost, has yet to be revealed... however, worse still, their heartless uncaring ideology is creeping steadily across the rest of the Conservative party. Where there used to be some Tories who did care about ordinary folk, they're long gone and have been replaced by a much lower class of individual.
It's about time that ordinary, decent British folk woke up to the damage these selfish extremists are doing... and who appear to be quite cheerful about hiding the true facts.
Those "ordinary, decent British folk" are becoming fewer & fewer. The krazy mass media is making sure of this.

As to "the true facts" ..... well, these are very old hat indeed! Facts may now be made-up from various queer feelings found in all humans, then promulgated hand-over-fist by anyone with a big enough loud-hailer to spew 'em. Many enjoy the not-true facts and have no taste whatsoever for the notion of a truth that doesn't cater to their addiction for exciting sensations involving opportunities to condemn, judge and (with a bit of luck) successfully persecute.

Welcome to post-modernity, different every day!

Cugel

PS Did you know that if you just work very hard all the time, especially for a Big Company, you too can become "a success", "a winner"!? I read it in a Tory pamphlet, next to the section describing the great benefits to be found in Rwanda.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

^^^ this!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

A man talking sense on helping ordinary people out of the present crazy situation,3.28 seconds of your time:- https://youtu.be/77kCUlOsr6c
Is he talking sense or not,and what's stopping it happening if he is?
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 6:55pm I used to prefer to have the "my side's worse than your side" argument until your side got Corbyn and he won that for you lefties.

Then that resulted in a poor opposition. Then on to a tory government that was always going to beat Corbyn significantly and use the majority to eff up royally.

Now we're going into a period of time when both parties will have mediocre leaders. Which is a massive improvement from the corbyn/Johnson years.

My question is, when will we start getting serious political leaders worth voting for? We need the two biggest parties to have real talent and leadership. You can have any electoral system you like but without the people at the top of government and opposition this country won't be much further forward. Imho the whole political class isn't fit for purpose. Ditto the political reporting/ news media.

BTW I had an interesting discussion with a Belgian pre-covid about their system. It was interesting to hear that he was sick of their PR system and looked to our FPTP as giving a definitive government after a GE as being a big positive of our system. You know where you were within a day or two of a GE. I don't suppose you know which country holds the record for time taken to form a government. 2011 it was Belgium at 353 days and talk of partition of Belgium too. A disaster for their form of PR. BTW they beat the previous record held by Cambodia.
You think a working class lad like Keir Starmer who becomes a Q.C. , DPP, an MP and then leader of the opposition is mediocre. What on earth does someone have to do to be exceptional in your eyes?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

What on earth does someone have to do to be exceptional in your eyes?
See too my recent topic on the subject of figureheads. Seems we're reluctant to 'follow' individuals unless they display stellar qualities, whatever they are... Even when the subject they profess to lead on is serious, sober, data driven - for example, climate change, economics, industrial development, etc. etc..
At a time when, more than ever before, we need firm leadership, in difficult directions, we are completely up a smelly creek without - never mind a paddle - even a decent boat! Oh Dear.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Tangled Metal wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 6:55pm BTW I had an interesting discussion with a Belgian pre-covid about their system. It was interesting to hear that he was sick of their PR system and looked to our FPTP as giving a definitive government after a GE as being a big positive of our system. You know where you were within a day or two of a GE. I don't suppose you know which country holds the record for time taken to form a government. 2011 it was Belgium at 353 days and talk of partition of Belgium too. A disaster for their form of PR. BTW they beat the previous record held by Cambodia.
I'm generally a proponent of PR (though don't know what mechanism should be used) but Germany's oil and gas crisis is pause for thought. Long coalitions, including between the two major parties led to an energy policy in which most of the parties have had a hand in and ironically the two which haven't had a sniff of federal power, the far-left Die Linke and far-right AfD are the most pro-Russian. So there hasn't been enough opposition or holding to account in the last 15 years because of PR.

I've just returned from Germany, anecdotally I'd say Germans want more action on Ukraine than their government is giving, though who knows what will happen if their gas really runs out and they're fed up with (and breaking) Covid rules. Nice place to watch England win at football though... :wink:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My German pal reckons the many pro Putin folk there are nutters and apparently there are significant numbers of them. Most people in Germany want more of a response.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thread drift apart.It's about time Germany stepped up to the mark IMHO and did their bit for the Ukraine who are being invaded by an evil dictator,hell bent on the destruction of Europe!
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Liz Truss lying again:- https://youtu.be/iS0fbzNLCCc

The state of our nation as per Truss and the press:- https://youtu.be/pOGta6LO-I8
W H Auden
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Loss of mask now reveals lunacy as well as evil.

"....under plans drawn up by the Treasury, doctors would be able to write prescriptions to give people money off their energy bills.

Under the proposal, GPs would hold a patient consultation and verify they need help, before writing a prescription. Money would then either be given in cash or as a voucher."....while those with medical rather than social/economic needs die for want of seeing a doctor!

Couldn't make it up.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

djnotts wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 9:06am Loss of mask now reveals lunacy as well as evil.

"....under plans drawn up by the Treasury, doctors would be able to write prescriptions to give people money off their energy bills.

Under the proposal, GPs would hold a patient consultation and verify they need help, before writing a prescription. Money would then either be given in cash or as a voucher."....while those with medical rather than social/economic needs die for want of seeing a doctor!

Couldn't make it up.
This so bizarre I assumed it's a joke,but it's not apparently:- https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... y-24812260
W H Auden
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I shall book my appointment first thing in the a.m. (or at least I would if could ever get beyond "queue position 5").

A truly bizarre proposal and an admin nightmare!
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Should this procedure be normalised one feels it should be extended to much else.

"Doctor, I need to ride in the woods to correct my psychological angsts & fears, with forest-bathing".

"Here is a chitty that will get you a nice new bike with all the necessary accessories, plus the extra grub to fuel you".

"But Doc, I have feeble legs and a kippered lung, two in fact".

"I shall make the chit out for an e-bike, plus £20 extra to charge it".

I'm feeling faint already! When can I get an appointment?

What other billet-doux should the quacks be charged with issuing to those suffering ill health mendable by a socio-cultural consumer good or service? Givus your list with the reasons-why.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cugel wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 6:09pm Should this procedure be normalised one feels it should be extended to much else.

"Doctor, I need to ride in the woods to correct my psychological angsts & fears, with forest-bathing".

"Here is a chitty that will get you a nice new bike with all the necessary accessories, plus the extra grub to fuel you".

"But Doc, I have feeble legs and a kippered lung, two in fact".

"I shall make the chit out for an e-bike, plus £20 extra to charge it".
This has already happened in various guises. After seeing the same bloke at swimming pool several times we were chatting in the changing room. He was pleased he didn't have to come swimming anymore - for whatever medical reason he'd been prescribed '10 swims'. He'd done the 10 and now wasn't coming again. And of course, those swims had been free - he was over 60. I don't know if someone under 60 would have had to have paid the prescription fee for 10 swims...