Shipwrights' Way: Farnham to Portsmouth offroad-ish

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bice

Shipwrights' Way: Farnham to Portsmouth offroad-ish

Post by Bice »

This may be of interest to riders in the South East, as it makes a very pleasant day out.

The route actually starts from Bentley station rather than Farnham and goes through Alice Holt forest and an assortment of other Hampshire forests, including Butser Hill, down to Hayling Island and then across to Portsmouth. It is a bit fanciful as "Shipwrights' Way", but has enough truth to it to be valid. I suspect the shipwrights moved their timber down the old A3, more or less.

Gravel bikes were fine for this, and half of the eight I did it with had fancy modern versions.

I decided to use my latest build: a steel, step-through Diamant frame with 32mm nobbly tyres that were lurking in the cellar and of some age. It has 3 x 8 speed and downtube shifters (Suntour racheted friction shifters, which I reckon the best).

I was actually really pleased with the bike, and it more than kept up with the others. This is a fast and versatile bike: it will take 35mm tyres if needed. Having just ridden a new Woho Wildcard gravel bike with cable disc brakes for a week, I wondered whether it would feel inferior. It didn't in the slightest.

I am a bit sceptical of gravel bikes, as I would only want to use one in the summer when dry. It would also have to serve as a decent light tourer / commuter as well, which this bike does.

This second picture from last night is actually of the Swedish replica Indiaman Goteburg, docked at Canary Wharf: the original came back from China on its third voyage in 1745 but hit a rock 900 metres from the quayside at Gotenburg and sank. It's salvage and marine archaeology make it the Swedish equivalent of the Mary Rose.

To ride through south London, and then back via the City and Westminster, I replaced the nobbly tyres with 28mm slicks, and the bike flew. (Observant viewers will note that I removed the Brooks Swift when leaving this around London.)

I have set it up with 48, 38, 28 chainrigs and 8-speed. I tried a 10-speed but the friction shifting was a pain, so changed to eight.

It shifts perfectly with my Ultegra FD-6503, even though it is set far higher than is usual: necessary to clear the middle ring.

Peetee had referenced this arrangement several times, testifying to its success which was a huge encouragement: viewtopic.php?p=1685362&hilit=FD#p1685362

Best of all, the parts were all lying around, I only had to buy the cranks and brakes.
Daily: Carlton Courette 1982 mixte 42, 32, 22 x7
Van Nicholas Yukon titanium 50/34 10sp
Lazzaretti steel 1996 10sp 48/34
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Marin Bolinas Ridge MTB c1995, 7x42, 34, 24
Scott Scale carbon MTB 27.5 inch
pete75

Re: Shipwrights' Way: Farnham to Portsmouth offroad-ish

Post by pete75 »

I'd have thought the Shipwrights Way would be something like Wear, Tyne, Clyde. :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

The Wooden Walls of England, that’s what they’re on about.
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Thanks for sharing Bice. Nice write up. I’ve added this route to my To Do list.
Lovely looking bike too. Glad to hear she flies along.
Best wishes
Luke