Measuring Blood Pressure

Jdsk

Re: Measuring Blood Pressure

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 8:46amThe BP is slowly getting lower, and one or two readings have been in the LOW BP area.
Some side effects are specific to the drug or group of drugs. But of course all drugs that lower blood pressure might lower it too far.

It's smart to be aware of the effects of blood pressure and that also applies to people you live with etc.

NHS advice including those side effects and what to do if they occur:
https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/doxazosin/

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've been feeling quite ill.
Aching, lethargy, breathlessness.

Is it my Doxazosin tablets?
I expect it is, so I didn't take one yesterday, and I'll stay off them until I feel well.
If I start them again and start to feel rotten again, that's it .......... they'll go the same way as all the other BP meds I've tried over the last ten years.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 11:19amNHS advice including those side effects and what to do if they occur:
https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/doxazosin/
Mick F wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 8:02am I've been feeling quite ill.
Aching, lethargy, breathlessness.

Is it my Doxazosin tablets?
I expect it is, so I didn't take one yesterday, and I'll stay off them until I feel well.
If I start them again and start to feel rotten again, that's it .......... they'll go the same way as all the other BP meds I've tried over the last ten years.
The NHS advice includes what to if you experience side effects. Including breathlessness, which is covered in "Serious side effects".

Jonathan
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I have fluctuating blood pressure, for some reason it's quite high in the summer, but completely normal the rest of the year. I tried blood pressure meds for two weeks. The side effects were appalling, so I binned them.

Losing weight, and cutting down on booze and fatty foods has helped by BP immensely, I used to suffer nausea and profuse sweating in summer, but that's gone now.

I would certainly weigh the benefits of medication against the side effects (which can be severe) in future.
In my peer group of friends, (I'm 59) I'm the only person not taking any medication, and I'm the only person of normal weight. Thirdly, I'm the only one in full time employment, the rest are retired or semi retired. I intend to keep it that way, for as long as I possibly can.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Here's a record I'm keeping.
Note the BP readings BEFORE I started on the Doxazosin.
Also note the BP readings when I became ill and note that the Doxazosin doesn't seem to have done much.
Doxazosin.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I must be feeling better.

I've just been accused of smiling. First time in a few days. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 10:44am I must be feeling better.

I've just been accused of smiling. First time in a few days. :D
Mistaken identity, I'm sure :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Feeling betterer and betterer, and still smiling too.
I have a plan to go cycling tomorrow, so I must be feeling betterer.
Mick F. Cornwall
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Mick F wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 9:52am Here's a record I'm keeping.
Note the BP readings BEFORE I started on the Doxazosin.
Also note the BP readings when I became ill and note that the Doxazosin doesn't seem to have done much.

Doxazosin.png
I must admit, looking at those figures your BP seems very normal to me, during the summer months my BP goes up to to 150/110 and even 160/125, its a seasonal thing for me. Had I listened to my doctor I'd be on ten tablets a day. Having had 2nd and 3rd opinions, from clinicians they've pretty much said, unless you feel ill and nauseated, the best thing for you is your bike and cut back on fatty foods.

I've followed this advice rigorously, and I've been fine these last 5 years. No one can live forever, (who would want to?) my aim is to live as active and pill free life for as long as I possibly can.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1.

Been fine today, but feeling tired and weak this afternoon.
Out on a bike ride this morning. 18miles (only) but as usual it's over 100ft of ascent per mile.

Was ok and eager this morning, but worn out and knackered now.
Been on those tablets since 16th Feb until 24th Feb ........ only three evenings since the last one. This evening is the third evening, so you could argue I've been off them for two days, so the drug is still in my system.

The previous ones I was on were from 3rd Feb to 8th Feb ............. and they were terrible.

I'll continue to record my BP for the next day or two - without medication - then print it out and drop it in at the (ill)health centre with a note for my doctor. No doubt he'll phone me.
Mick F. Cornwall
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

willcee wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 4:28pm Apologies if i have missed something as i speed read several pages and as someone who takes 5mg Amlodipine +4 mg Perindopril daily, and since my two hip ops in late 18 and 19 have been noticing thicker legs certainly my cycling socks dig in and leave deep rings so much so that i'm changing all my socks to easy ups loose top variety
That's a well known side effect of amlodipine as a consultant for me stated. Your doctor, as mine didn't until receiving a letter from that consultant, may not acknowledge that as amlodipine is cheap and given out like sweeties. Doctor said my s :shock: wollen knees and ankles were arthritis. :roll:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

No one can live forever, (who would want to?)
Well, I wouldn't mind if I could permanetly do the things I could do in my twenty's...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
willcee

Post by willcee »

Morning all. still testing Covid after 6 days, having escaped until now, however feel OK and thats what matters, as regards Amlodopine, I pushed my docs locally, the practice head and I were away at school together, he said to cut the amlod, and increased the Perindopril to 8mg and without exact measurement I cannot see much difference..nor do I sense anything physical.. the last BP figures pleased them as I had stopped smoking during a bout of ''pre covid'' attack in mid AUGUST 19 before my last THR..I just weigh more now!!!!!!!!!!!!!will
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just fished my BP device out due to receiving a letter from the health centre as they want me to go down there to use their machine and give them the results.

Done it with mine four times on the trot.
Basically, the readings are 105 over 54.

Just done it (yet) again, and now at this instant it is 106 over 56.
Pay no attention to the date/time as the batteries have been replaced a couple of times over the months.
IMG_1591.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Are you on medication to reduce your BP ?

If not then good...........do nothing but keep an eye on feeling tired for no reason or lethargy in resting and watch feeling dizzy rising from chair!
At your age falls can be life changing.

If you are on BP meds then see doctor about management of dose.
Your BP can vary through the day so look at morning and evening.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.