Head says steel, heart says titanium

For discussions about bikes and equipment.

Which is more real?

Steel
63%
Titanium
37%

Total votes: 46

531colin

Re: Head says steel, heart says titanium

Post by 531colin »

peetee wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 7:38pm
Sweep wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 5:11pm
UpWrong wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 11:36am
I'm commissioning some Ti forks for a Bacchetta Bella because Bacchetta are out of forks until 2023. Guess I could have commissioned steel forks but thought it worth the premium for something which is hopefully lighter and won't rust.
Have anyone's forks ever rusted away?
Both houses i have ever owned have had damp or worse garages. No rusted away forks yet.
I suspect a bike I had to deal with wasn’t far off. In trying to remove a reluctant stem from a lightly scabby but otherwise clean Carbolite 103 steel Peugeot I managed without too much effort to rotate the bars, stem steerer and fork crown without rotating the hub!
I had a Peugeot where on the forks I could see the welded seam of the tubes down the back of the forks.... I was able to change the offset by treading on them.....I also straightened a pair of bent Raleigh forks (the ones where the "crown" was a bit of tube) the same way, and I twisted another pair of similar Raleigh forks in exactly the way you describe.....all steel forks are not created equal!
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

Jamesh wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 7:40pm Come on what did you decide?
What model???
Woodrup Cycles is building my new frame, so I guess you'd call it a Woodrup. All I have to do now is decide the colour.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

peetee wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 11:28am My latest purchase is a Van Nicholas titanium frame with carbon forks. Rather a chunky-looking beast in comparison to my other bikes. The ride quality felt through saddle and bars is firmer than any of the steel frames I have owned so far. Not at all what is generally projected about titanium frames.
Exec Summary:
Ti = like steel, but lighter* and corrosion proof. (may also cost more!)

I don't think anyone says they are comfier than steel.

*All Other Things Being Equal etc ...
peetee

Post by peetee »

mattheus wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 2:06pm
peetee wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 11:28am My latest purchase is a Van Nicholas titanium frame with carbon forks. Rather a chunky-looking beast in comparison to my other bikes. The ride quality felt through saddle and bars is firmer than any of the steel frames I have owned so far. Not at all what is generally projected about titanium frames.
Exec Summary:
Ti = like steel, but lighter* and corrosion proof. (may also cost more!)

I don't think anyone says they are comfier than steel.

*All Other Things Being Equal etc ...
As Titanium became ‘popular’ in the 90’s that is certainly what the general opinion was. I distinctly remember a road test by Bicycle magazine voicing that view. I have met a few owners of titanium bikes over the years and it’s a common thing to say. I accompanied a friend of mine to help when they bought an Enigma. That is what they had attracted them and I haven’t heard the contrary from them.
But as you say, it’s all relative and I can’t state what all these opinions had as previous bikes bar one; which was a carbon Specialized with Zerts comfort inserts....hmmmm. :?
As ever you suck up the hype, make yer choice and pay yer money.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

The early titanium frames were made of tubes with the common diameters , so rather "floppy", that's why the manufacturers went to use oversided tubes (stiffer) and that's where it all went a bit fuzzy.
Titanium frames can be made very stiff or less stiff of floppy/ comfortable by choosing the right tube sizes and wallthicknesses.
Not the material itself, but the design determines the properthies.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Keezx wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 10:26pm Not the material itself, but the design determines the properthies.
Which is precisely where I came into the conversation. 8)
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.