How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
roubaixtuesday

Re: How's your weather?

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Biospace wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 8:44pm
roubaixtuesday wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 7:01pm
Biospace wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 6:49pm
Please read what I originally wrote rather than just roubaixtursday's selective quote...
This is an example of a selective quote.

My original quote of your paranoid conspiracy theory, however, was your entire post, and not in the least selective, whilst highlighting the most bonkers parts in bold. I did it that way deliberately so as not to lose the full context.

Here's a link:

viewtopic.php?p=1716364#p1716364

Happy to help!
roubaixtuesday wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 1:55pm If "BBC reporting [of weather!!] as a form of control of people's movements " isn't a paranoid conspiracy then I don't know what is.

Was it really not clear I was referring to your post selectively quoting, which potentially the other forum member had read rather than multple preceding posts?

You appear to have convinced yourself of how others think, which is interesting. When you sense someone else isn't entirely in agreement with your way of seeing the world, why not engage with them rather than using your sarcasm to try and ridicule?

roubaixtuesday wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 12:40pm BBC weather forecasts are now provided by Meteo Group BTW.

Wonder how they were brought in on the conspiracy to control us?

Something to do with Bill Gates and 5G perhaps?
You're complaining I only quoted the whole thing the once??

How many times is sufficient?

Anyway, I think we're done here.

I'll see you back at Soros' place.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

We had something known as clouds today and approximately 14(estimated)drops of something called rain :shock:
Great sunset though :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

reohn2 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 10:12pm We had something known as clouds today and approximately 14(estimated)drops of something called rain :shock:
We get hard water even in June.
I am here. Where are you?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

We got a fair bit of rain yesterday and managed a BBQ outside with friends. There was distant thunder but no downpours.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cowsham wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 12:30am
reohn2 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 10:12pm We had something known as clouds today and approximately 14(estimated)drops of something called rain :shock:
We get hard water even in June.
I've known it to snow here in June :shock:
Anyway light cloud and a few more drops of rain this morning,but more proper rain forecast,we haven't had any of the "weather warning of thunder storms" :? yet,but there's time.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Biospace wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 7:41pm
Cugel wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 2:19pm
Although The Lake District is a relatively small area, it's topography means that there's a lot of micro-climates. It can be miserable, cold and wet in one valley but sunny and nice a couple of valleys around the Lakeland "spokes". Often, it's not easy to see the difference "over there" as those dang fells get in the way.

I've been caught out a hundred times cycling through the Lakes. Looks fine ... until you get 10 miles along and it isn't.

Cugel
Yes, I've been cycling in and around the English Lakes for decades, I've experienced many of its local weather specialities.

This was something quite different, with very settled weather - high pressure off the Western Isles creating a steady North Easterly over the North of England, Scotland and N Ireland. Same right across Cumbria - not often that's the case. I'll always try and sail there with a Northerly, slmost always fine conditions and a steady breeze.

There was a very defined break in the cloud running over the Western Pennines, the previous week in Upper Swaledale we'd camped pretty much right under this break with chilly and dull mornings and once the sun emerged around noon, increasingly hot.

I do notice the BBC forecasts tend to be glass half empty compared with others I use, notably XCWeather.

Here are a couple of small images of weather late August, last year.

28AUG2021.jpg25AUG2021 temps forecast.jpeg

13C in Yorkshire, 23C in the Lake District, not often like that.
You'll also know about The Helm Wind then - the NE airflow coming across the NE coast of Britain and pushing up the Great Whin Sill until it drops over the edge of the northern Pennines into the Eden Valley, making a moaning noise and bringing that foggy fret bar over the fells, with its sudden temperature drop in the valley as the cold air pours down?

When I were a lad, 269 years ago, I lived on the NE coast and often had a lovely summer day on Marsden beach spoilt by the sea fret coming over the North Sea with the NE wind generated by the high pressure elsewhere giving wall-to-wall sunshine. The temperature would drop up to 10 degrees C as the fret rolled over Marsden beach, the rascal!

These frets got inland to varying degrees. Sometimes it was 10 miles, up to Newcastle. Sometimes it was just a mile, to The Nook or The Cleadon Hills.

Perhaps those weather forecasters were expecting The Helm to get rather further than it did? They've always been hyer-cautious since Mr Fish did his infamous "no hurricane coming" thing. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It was damp when we got up this morning.
Sunshine -though hazy- much of the day.

Less hot, mind you.
Only 22degC.

Note that I didn't say "cooler" as it suggests that it has been cool previously, and therefore cooler would work.
It's been hot, so therefore it would be better to say "less hot" instead.
Mick F. Cornwall
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Cugel wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 9:35am
You'll also know about The Helm Wind then - the NE airflow coming across the NE coast of Britain and pushing up the Great Whin Sill until it drops over the edge of the northern Pennines into the Eden Valley, making a moaning noise and bringing that foggy fret bar over the fells, with its sudden temperature drop in the valley as the cold air pours down?

When I were a lad, 269 years ago, I lived on the NE coast and often had a lovely summer day on Marsden beach spoilt by the sea fret coming over the North Sea with the NE wind generated by the high pressure elsewhere giving wall-to-wall sunshine. The temperature would drop up to 10 degrees C as the fret rolled over Marsden beach, the rascal!

These frets got inland to varying degrees. Sometimes it was 10 miles, up to Newcastle. Sometimes it was just a mile, to The Nook or The Cleadon Hills.

Perhaps those weather forecasters were expecting The Helm to get rather further than it did? They've always been hyer-cautious since Mr Fish did his infamous "no hurricane coming" thing. :-)

Cugel
I used the frets along the NE coast a few years ago to cool off from the excess 30C heat, it was like riding into a fridge - wonderful. 19C felt icy.

Glider pilots can make good use of local winds, where we cyclists try and avoid them if possible. Cape York in Australia is the home to a rolling local wind and associated cloud formation, 'Morning Glory', which can stretch for hundreds of miles.

MorningGlory.jpg

Our own Helm Wind is still regarded with trepidation among the farmers high up in the Vale of Eden, although from talking to people its reputation seemed worse in the past. There are tales of hay blowing around in great tufts hundreds of feet above Windermere, of horses dying of fright, vicars struggling to breathe and sheep rolled about about like balls of cotton wool.

It's possible some weather forecaster miscalculated or misread, or were being typically hypercautious but I still struggle to see how they didn't correct themselves after a couple of days. Perhaps there is genuinely no feedback in the process for the radio forecast and nobody looked at the live data after 10 or 11 in the morning? I was the person who was most surprised, others were fairly dismissive of anything BBC and those who weren't, regarded it as a regional anomaly to be exepcted 'Up North'.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

8 hours of non-stop thunderstorm starting 2am tomorrow, according to the Met Office.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
peetee

Post by peetee »

Sunday started a bit cool down here in deepest Kernow land. Unexpected given recent daytime temperatures but, not to worry, no reason to put off participation in a charity ride round Penwith.
Approaching the start in Marazion was our first taste of the best of the day. Magnificent clouds building on the south-western horizon, multiple vast columns of cauliflower-like vapour rising to a common height before flattening and spreading. It was like an ants-eye view of a patch of mushrooms.
The remainder of the day saw near perfect clear blue skies and barely perceptible breeze as we wound our way up and around Penzance, over the top to St Just, a highly welcome and superbly catered tea stop in Pendeen then the jewel in the crown of Cornish roads; the incomparable North Road onward towards St Ives. The sun warmed our backs on the climbs, the wind cooled our arms on the descents. For a few short hours, all was right in the world. Cycling was doing what cycling does best.
And now is Monday; the sky is grey, the wind blows hard, the rain falls but I am thankful.
Sunday was, in essence, nature’s magnificent closing piece in the glorious multiple-movement symphony that was the Summer of 2022.
And, sorry folks, but I was too busy enjoying it to take any photos. :oops:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Been chucking it down in stair-rods on and off these past couple or more days.
We have a "hose-pipe" ban.

What does that mean?

I can go to a commercial car-wash any number of times all day every day.
I could go swimming at the local pools.
Can I wash the car?

Walking along the river bank today, and the water level is very nearly reaching over the bank. All this rain is flowing down to the sea, but we still have a hose-pipe ban.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 8 Nov 2022, 5:36pm Been chucking it down in stair-rods on and off these past couple or more days.

What does that mean?

I can go to a commercial car-wash any number of times all day every day.
I could go swimming at the local pools.
Can I wash the car?

Walking along the river bank today, and the water level is very nearly reaching over the bank. All this rain is flowing down to the sea, but we still have a hose-pipe ban.
Is this your area and provider?
South West Water: Hose pipe ban:
https://www.southwestwater.co.uk/enviro ... sepipeban/

What level of ban are they currently imposing?

Thanks

Jonathan
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Mick F wrote: 8 Nov 2022, 5:36pm Been chucking it down in stair-rods on and off these past couple or more days.

Walking along the river bank today, and the water level is very nearly reaching over the bank.
I should think the reservoirs are still low - they were across the Pennines last month. I doubt anyone would mind if you took a few buckets from the river with which to wash your car.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Mick F wrote: 8 Nov 2022, 5:36pm Can I wash the car?
If you have nosey neighbours then don't use your hosepipe/jetwash.
You can use buckets though oddly.
We have a hosepipe ban here,£1000 fine apparently.I'm still washing both our cars with my jetwash.Neighbours at the side and bottom of the garden have filled their hot tubs and I doubt I'll use anywhere near the amount of water they have :roll:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

No shortage of water here -- we are back to the soup we call weather. Hard to get any clothes dry -- best you can do is use the washing line in the garage -- even in there they get to an almost dry state but no further dry no matter how long they're out . Have to use the tumble dryer to finish the job.
I am here. Where are you?