When-cities-treated-cars-as-dangerous-intruders/

Nearholmer

Re: When-cities-treated-cars-as-dangerous-intruders/

Post by Nearholmer »

I don’t think forest roads are “the full monty” water-bound macadam, with all the layers of graded stone, down to dust, but they certainly follow the basic principles, possibly using only two grades of stone, which I think may themselves have had roots back as far as the Romans and possibly earlier.

In good nick, such roads are a pleasure to cycle on, I prefer them to ‘hardtop’, but once they start to break-up ….. rough as a badger’s.

Not sure what this recently laid farm-road is made from, but this one is nice (if it has chalk in it, which it might, it will go greasy on the wet though!).
6FF2DF29-7AFE-410F-B1C8-2F6991A449B6.jpeg
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

basingstoke123 wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 11:33pm But you MUST NOT (the law) loiter on any type of crossing.
Even my 1946 HC states you must not loitre on a pedestrian crossing (P.C.P.R., 1941, No 7) :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 11:07am
basingstoke123 wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 11:33pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 3:44pm The motor industry fought and won, including by the invention of concepts such as "jay walking".
Fortunately, this concept does not exist over here.

There are very few legal restrictions on pedestrians. You can cross a road anywhere, although you should only cross where and when it is safe. At a light controlled crossing, while the High Way Code says you should only cross on a green light, this is not the law. But you MUST NOT (the law) loiter on any type of crossing.

In practice, pedestrians have been pushed of many roads, particularly A and some B roads out side of towns (and often within towns).
UK seems to be one of the few countries without this legal concept, though we have adopted the social construct.
Not really, the Jaywalking laws are a quintessentially American creation, the clue is in the name.

A summary of their effects and origins can be found here: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -abolished
TLDR? (or just want a slightly more amusing presentation style): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxopfjXkArM
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

In most of Europe you can be fined for crossing a street on the red man or within a certain distance of a crossing but not on it, which is the meaning normally ascribed to jaywalking. We don't have such a law in UK but we do have the attitude that there are places you shouldn't dare walk.