Fixing crash damaged CycloCross x2 Merida CX90 & D4

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Merida CX90_D-4

Fixing crash damaged CycloCross x2 Merida CX90 & D4

Post by Merida CX90_D-4 »

hello !

im searching for user experience and exact knowlidge about Replacing my Crash Damaged "Gear-Brakelever" parts, on a Merida's (CX90 and D4) that i bought as used and crash damaged.

im trying to find a "aftermarket, cloned" cheaper parts Vs OEM shimanos. Ive been browsing AliExprss now for past 2months waiting for price drops etc, and also while waiting to find a kind people with knowlidge regarding Cross fitting reference as experienced by their own hands/as fixed simular projects...

CX90 has CLARiS GroupSet:
shifters at handlebars:
- ST R2000 Shimano Claris 2x8s STI
- ST-R2000-R
- ST-R2000-L

D4 year 2012 has:
Shimano 105 , STi 2x10

from AliExprss ive found "LTWOO" branded parts for resonable price, that are titled to suit/replace Shimano 105.

Also found a replacement to substitute Claris ST-R2000 shifters.

My 1st question is that, can i use STi 2x8 Gear-Brakelevers on a 2x10 system bike ? and by that way only loosing the use of the last 2 rear sprocket gears usage..at 2x10.

2nd question:
is there a difference on the Shifter mechanism-Ratchet-cylinder movement range or summink at Claris 2x8 Vs "105" 2x10 ?
exact same steps between gears but just loosing the last 2 as out of movement range....?? is that the only difference,
**I have seen a Full Dismantle video at Youtube for them Claris or was it 105......

"Shimano 105 5800 shifter teardown"
youtube.com/watch?v=OtksiHBIL6E

"disassamble broken shifter brifter shimano claris"
youtube.com/watch?v=5nwnw4pu2-Y

What im after with this all is that if i could try and use the 2X8 from Merida CX90 at the D4 also, while testing, and later buying the exact 2x10 for D4 when price maybe gets lower......

The OEM Claris or especially 105 parts cost like 3x the amount Vs them AliExprss "LTWOO's".

- at "105" range the aftermarket "105" 2x8 cost alot less than "105" 2x10.
- if Claris 2x8 would work at "105" 2x10 bike , i could compromise until cheaper specific "105" 2x10 found....
So basically 3 options above, if Cross fittment works and i compromise by loosing 2 last gears....

im more used to Vintage 80s and 90s "Tour de France style bikes" with "Positron" gears.... ive been Hobbying various Bicycles all my live (im 41). i own about 30 or 40 bicycles, but these Meridas are my most modern ones......

im not a total Nooby or handless. ive been Restoring all my life also mopes and motorcycles from scratch, worked also as a mechanic etc. Designing and manufacturing my own parts etc.

***Edited 28.7-2022
Last edited by Merida CX90_D-4 on 28 Jul 2022, 8:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrevA

Re: Fixing crash damaged CycloCross x2 Merida CX90 & D4

Post by TrevA »

To partially answer your questions. You can’t use an 8 speed cassette with a 10 speed shifter. The spacing between the sprockets is different and therefore the amount that the shifter moves the rear mech is different. See this from Sheldon Brown (you can scroll down to see the various spacings of the different speeds).

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

For 8 speed, the cogs are 4.8mm apart, for 10 speed they are 3.95mm apart. The sprocket thickness is also different.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Merida CX90_D-4

^^ ahh OK, that is a very good Point and reply. Thanks !!!

i didnt take enough notice at the Cassette's, the spacing.... my Fail...

So, i got to spend the money or wait until better prices....

has any1 knowlidge how Season prices go -when they drop at AliExprss ?
hamster

Post by hamster »

I would avoid any of the Chinese shifters, they are generally garbage. Try eBay for used Shimano ones.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Does D4 refer to Disc? I.e. does this bike have disc brakes?

That could be another complication in making sure the levers have enough pull. Older ones won't. Aftermarket... Who knows..

If the brake lever is still working but shifter is gone, a cheaper fix could be a 10s Shimano barend shifter. With the current lever.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Generally speaking if you swap levers you'll have to swap the cassette. Each "speed" lever moves the cable to match the sprockets on the cassette.
Various Ali express stuff does seem to match Shimano mechs though.Just match the speeds.
I would be tempted to buy a groupset complete if going to China for it.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

How badly was it crashed? I'd not want a crash damaged bike at all, but even a bike with an undamaged frame I wouldn't be using AliExpress chinesium parts to fix it with.
Get 2nd hand branded parts from ebay (from people who have upgraded) should get you much better quality replacements.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

You could try You Tube. Chase Velo uses and reviews cheap Chinese gear.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Microshift are fast becoming an OEM fitment on many bikes and offer good alternatives. Search Youtube and you'll find enough positive reviews to make you question the nay sayers of Chinese kit. Not for all but not universally junk.
Merida CX90_D-4

Hi ! all

Merida D4 from 2012 has Disc Brakes at it.

i would only assume that Current AliExprss "LTWOO's" are for modern-recent model bikes.
Of course so many bikes/pricyer-Pro models with "Cantilever" V-style brakes.....

This is not my Cup of Tea, i dont like it style-usage at all
quote:-"a cheaper fix could be a 10s Shimano barend shifter. With the current lever."

Yes, ive noticed the "MicroShift" brand at AlieXprs. and couple others...

Thanks for the Tips guy's, ill deffo go an have a look at the "Chase Velo" test vids... (very slow web at my home, cant load Youtube etc not even at Mobile format...godda go to Library or to sisters faster Web...)

im from Scandinavia, hence current EU law's/import Tax etc "Blocks me" from buying i.e eBay UK.....(where from i bought parts for like 15+years...)

atm a Single 2ndHand "105" Shifter/brake combo cost like 100euro's. and not much even available-listed at Ebay's....issue about the same for CLARiS....

Where as STI 2x8 LTWOO "Shifter/Brake Combo" Right & Left price together ~60euro's.. at AliExprss.

im very Tempted to buy them ^^ for Merida CX90. Reason is the time of the year atm, short summer season here at Arctic Circle...

at deeper Winter time im going to Strip and try and Fix them CLARiS and 105, but not right now Due crazy amount of summer things to do/build fix etc atm.

Sorry, no photos yet taken from "Bend" LH-side 105 shifter/brake , or neither from 1 damaged CLARIS (which stupid ex-owner screwd up while taking of the Cable....)

More exactly said, the D4 "105" has a minor slow speed crash, side Dipped onto LH-side, by short 12yo kid who rode it VERY SLOW SPEED like 20kmh. Bike itself is Mint by everything else, used only like 1000km or even less , everything shines like new clean, ive gone through all Technical bits at it.....
**the "shifter levers" operated by human hand, have bended, they have metal core's-rails-arms (what do you call them ?) that look like i can Bend them back into Correct shape-form ,as long as i Compere them to the UnHarmed side Shifter parts......Needs just carefull Tinkering and time to Fix them....

The CX90 isnt actually Crashed, its also Mint condition and only done like 500km's. Minus the Bodge-damage done by Ex-owner to the Claris ST-R2000 shifter/Brake combo x1 (cant atm remember which side it is..).
This bike was owned by some "J0int smoker hipster wannabe boyrazer" who took it fully apart before it got into my OwnerShip.
He only took the cable out to use it on another bike (no other reason) , ohh boy why Destroy a ST-R2000 price 139euro's for the sake of a 2,50euro's worth universal cable that he could have got from Common CarMarket crocery store... facepalm idi0t.....

When he took the Cable out, he mangeled and "drilled" the Plastic Composite body, Dumbazz didnt realise how the cable was supposed to be taken out correctly, didnt obviously even search youtube for sample video.....

the "Composite body" might be Repair able , etx Fix able, but yet again not at this Current Summer time in hand atm..

So, problem atm is my time usage, what to do with what Projects of mine.....Maybe i consumed now time into this Post equal to Fixing the Bend single "105" , but yet again im also Searching the SpareParts-info.....so anything aint that simple.....

im not tempted to change the Whole GroupSet, no matter what price.

in my Country the whole bicycle e-bicycle Markets got grazy due Covid, prices went high up. Typically a new base model CycloCross bike that costs in UK like 499/599£ cost here 1200~1400euro's.
In my country also 2nd hand markets for Spares is almoust "Doesnt exist".

Due to Economical reasons, i cant spend now stupid money.....(them Merida's themselves i got almoust free, as i got super lucky....CX90 was a Parts Swop deal and D4 i bought from the 12yo kid for candy money literally.....)
Merida CX90_D-4

Since last post, Ive ordered "L-TWOO" 2x8 "Brifters" for the CX90 Merida.

and i got lucky and sold some spares that i dont personally Hobby, but i save from Recycling skids...

So this means that i can order 2x10 "Brifters" for the D4 Merida in next few days. Ive been looking them "MicroNEW" brifters, but im more tempted to order L-TWOO's also for the D4.

So at the end i got them all needed parts for Free due selling "scrap" salvaged items that were usable items.
New parts also include new brake calibers for CX90 and some other anodized colored bits. (yea, ex-owner who knows why, "stole" his own Mint brake calibers from the bike, so it came to me without the Calibers...)
hamster

Post by hamster »

mattsccm wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 7:38am Microshift are fast becoming an OEM fitment on many bikes and offer good alternatives. Search Youtube and you'll find enough positive reviews to make you question the nay sayers of Chinese kit. Not for all but not universally junk.
Agreed about Microshift, its the ones with names that looked like the cat jumped on the keyboard: LTWoo, ZTTO, MiXim, etc.
Merida CX90_D-4

hi ! all

any1 got a idea how could i check online (or if some1 knows info) the Cassette sprocket spacing and thickness from TiAGRA 4700 2x10 versus "105" 2x10.

my internet is barely working and is super slow now, not even upto Lite/mobile site versions....it means that i cant even google barely...

if some1 like to search info and help as Hobby, let me know please.

i noticed that the "LTWOO's" that i was about to order 2x10speed, was mentioned to be 4700 compatible (apparently its TiAGRA 4700) ...

the SheldonBrown page has some info, but i dont know how exact-same-usable it is for Tiagra 4700 / or and 105 (didnt measure my 105 yet, busy day, its night time atm now..)

Brand and model Center-to-center
Spacing Sprocket Thickness Spacer Thickness Total Width
Shimano
10-speed 3.95 mm 1.6 mm 2.35 mm 37.2 mm(note)
hamster

Post by hamster »

Cassette spacing is identical. The compatibility is down to the pull-per-click difference between 105 and 4700.
Merida CX90_D-4

ok, so today i did Order "MicroNEW" 2x10 for the Merida D-4.

at youtube sample-test video, the guy has in his CycloCross exactly "105" Derailleur with same "MicroNew" brifters.
And has Tiagra front Derailleur.

so all should be good now, in all sense...

"LTWOO" seller was very specific saying that their 2x10 Brifters was tested to work only with shimano 4700 (Tiagra apparently). so had to scrap that idea of buying them.