Lowestoft - Ardnamurchan: anyone done the full east-west?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Lowestoft - Ardnamurchan: anyone done the full east-west?

Post by mjr »

PH wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 9:49pm [...] I wasn't committed to a daily mileage or to route via places with accommodation. [...]
Rough route here, it isn't road by road accurate, but it isn't far out

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/351477
Much as I love King's Lynn, if you don't need its accommodation, I believe it would be significantly quicker to bypass it and Swaffham by routing slightly further south after Wymondham through Little Ellingham to Watton to Hilborough to Barton Bendish to St John's Highway to Sutton Bridge and then resuming your route. It comes out as 2 or 3 miles longer, but you'd be on the sort of wide back roads where you might get a move on (if the wind is not obnoxious) and not so much urban routefinding would be needed.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Neil Wheadon

Post by Neil Wheadon »

A group of us did West to East
Quite a ride https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle-magazin ... -across-uk
Neil
Former CTC Tour Leader, now with Bikexplore
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

1000k! Would take me at least 2 weeks! Thanks, couldn't see a map though
Think of it as 625 miles, a lot shorter! :roll:
PH

Post by PH »

Tiggertoo wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 7:46pm
1000k! Would take me at least 2 weeks! Thanks, couldn't see a map though
Think of it as 625 miles, a lot shorter! :roll:
My route was even shorter, under 600 miles :wink:
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 3:04pm
PH wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 9:49pm Rough route here, it isn't road by road accurate, but it isn't far out

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/351477
Much as I love King's Lynn, if you don't need its accommodation, I believe it would be significantly quicker to bypass it and Swaffham...
I'm sure your local knowledge is right, though I think Swaffham was a BCQ point and having been through Kings Lynn on an Audax the year before there didn't seem any pressing need to avoid it. I'd expected to stop before then but it was such a lovely evening I rode on, so instead of going through early Sunday morning, I went through late Sat night, it was quite lively, I got lots of encouragement, or at least I think that's what was being shouted.
albal1

Post by albal1 »

Yes, as part of my Dover - Cape wrath ride in may/ June.

Although flatter then jogle,it seemed longer and tougher. Loved it.

Journal is on crazy guy site.
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Welll I contemplated it long enough, then saw a window in our domestic schedules and set off. Nine days later I finished it yesterday. And it nearly finished me.
My romantic aim was sunrise in Lowestoft- sunset at Ardnamurchan. The first bit worked; the last ended changing soaking kit in the lighthouse cafe toilets after howling wind and icy rain - on the final afternoon of an otherwise great week weather wise.
I roughly followed ‘Bikepacker’s’ route though not camping - i wouldn’t have got up some hills with camping kit on top of regular stuff.
My overnights were - Kings Lynn- Market Rasen -outside York - near Durham - Jedburgh - Livingston - Strathyre - Glencoe - Kilchoan (at the end).

I did an end-to-end in 2020 and found this a lot tougher. Maybe I’ve declined as I’m even older now but Northumbria was brutal as were some of the final Scottish ones. My 50/34 and 11/32 set up was nowhere near low enough for 13 - 18 % grades. Getting through the industrial belt from Darlington wasn’t nice either.
I had four punctures in one day (fortunately I could get to a great bike shop in Stirling) but otherwise the old Kinesis was good.
I can’t see E to W becoming a “route” with so many coast-coast alternatives for ‘route’ followers still it’s an itch I’ve scratched. Only a shame that the weather made the last day such a washout.
As Davy at the lighthouse said: “shame you didn’t get here yesterday, it was lovely”
PH

Post by PH »

Brianjeff50 wrote: 22 Aug 2023, 7:15am Welll I contemplated it long enough, then saw a window in our domestic schedules and set off. Nine days later I finished it yesterday. And it nearly finished me.
Well done, I did warn you it was tough! Your route was quite different to mine, till you got to Scotland where the choices are limited. I've been to Ardnamurchan four times (twice by bike) and none of them have been nice weather! How are you getting back? Or are you staying there there waiting for the sunshine?
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

PH wrote: 22 Aug 2023, 12:33pm
Brianjeff50 wrote: 22 Aug 2023, 7:15am Welll I contemplated it long enough, then saw a window in our domestic schedules and set off. Nine days later I finished it yesterday. And it nearly finished me.
Well done, I did warn you it was tough! Your route was quite different to mine, till you got to Scotland where the choices are limited. I've been to Ardnamurchan four times (twice by bike) and none of them have been nice weather! How are you getting back? Or are you staying there there waiting for the sunshine?
I would be tempted; it’s frustrating to have had bad weather. I was planning on getting home a complicated seeming but actually simple(ish) way involving ferries on to Mull and off to Oban (that worked) then train connections via Glasgow, Edinburgh, Peterborough and my nearest town Stowmarket.
That fell at the first fence with serious rail delays on the line from Oban. So now I’m in a small guest house in Oban planning to repeat the exercise tomorrow.
Mrs B said “if you want to cycle back.” But I’m not sure the old legs will take any more for a while.
PH

Post by PH »

Brianjeff50 wrote: 22 Aug 2023, 5:50pm That fell at the first fence with serious rail delays on the line from Oban. So now I’m in a small guest house in Oban planning to repeat the exercise tomorrow.
Good luck for tomorrow, Oban's not the worst place to be stranded for a day or two, though I'd rather be on Mull. I came back that way, no train issues, but it didn't stop raining!
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

If anyone is interested in my stats: nine days, 649.63 miles, 30,052ft climbing. Hardest day by far Northumbria/Borders: 5988ft with a 1241ft climb.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Brianjeff50 wrote: 24 Aug 2023, 9:40am If anyone is interested in my stats: nine days, 649.63 miles, 30,052ft climbing. Hardest day by far Northumbria/Borders: 5988ft with a 1241ft climb.
I'm standing to type this to show my respect and admiration

As somebody else hinted now it's completed you can use kms rather than miles and off the top of my head you did something like 1040

Hat! as Duffers might not have said
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

thirdcrank wrote: 24 Aug 2023, 10:42am
Brianjeff50 wrote: 24 Aug 2023, 9:40am If anyone is interested in my stats: nine days, 649.63 miles, 30,052ft climbing. Hardest day by far Northumbria/Borders: 5988ft with a 1241ft climb.
I'm standing to type this to show my respect and admiration

As somebody else hinted now it's completed you can use kms rather than miles and off the top of my head you did something like 1040

Hat! as Duffers might not have said
👍👍👍