Bike ride/ running equivalent

Cugel

Re: Bike ride/ running equivalent

Post by Cugel »

mattheus wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 11:46am
Cyclewala wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 11:01am I am a runner and cyclist and find cycling about 15-20% easier for the same timeframe. Cycling up hills is marginally more difficult than running up them, but one gets a chance to recover downhill.

I find running a better all round workout and more efficient time wise. Less clobber to wear and bike to maintain.
The latter is certainly true! But it is linked to the flip-side: you can combine a cycling workout with commuting, a shopping trip, going to see friends (or friends who are scenic views ;-) )

If you think cycling is "15% easier", you need to practice riding 25mile TTs - the flat ones - at your limit. No resting there; but of course less long-term damage on our joints.
Indeed.

But am I mistaken, then, in thinking that there are several, many, numerous and in fact a lot of different modes in which one may run or ride a bike? Some are less energetic than others, or so I thought. Is "a slow jog on the flat" harder than "a pootle up the vale and back again"? If so, which jog-rate and what vales?

Also, why is it felt needful to make the comparisons at all? Is it just that ole compulsion we humans have to put things into pointless hierarchies, all employing different schemas, parameters and traditions and other weightings to decide the method for arranging the dang things?

Cugel, also wondering when the swimmers will demand a place in this taxonomy of the active. (And the pole vaulters).
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
hercule

Post by hercule »

pjclinch wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 11:42am
tenbikes wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 2:36pm
pjclinch wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 12:16pm I have friends who want a running/walking type workout but without the impact issues that use an Elliptigo

I note they have bikes too, and find the Elliptigo useful for a more running-like exercise mode.

Pete.
Is there a UK dealer?
I don't think so. Last pal that got one (a couple of years back, I think) had to import :(

It looks like you can indeed get Elliptigos in the UK: https://www.elliptigo.co.uk/

I think they have a network of “ambassadors” round the UK to allow you to try them out.

I investigated this possibility when I was sidelined from running; I have cycled for as long as I have run (5 decades) and whilst I love cycling it doesn’t quite do the same thing for me as running. I ended up trying a kick bike/adult scooter which is a much cheaper option and got hooked. In fact it was very helpful in rehabilitating my injury and I’m back running again, but also scooting and also cycling. Allegedly several ultra runners use them for cross training and I can believe them. They were originally designed for cross country skiers to train in the summer and they do give a pretty intense full body workout if you want it.

My Kickbike RaceMax to give you an idea:
1045171C-B5DF-427C-9E83-0276393E50F2.jpeg
David2504

Post by David2504 »

hercule wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 10:09pm
pjclinch wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 11:42am
tenbikes wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 2:36pm

Is there a UK dealer?
I don't think so. Last pal that got one (a couple of years back, I think) had to import :(

It looks like you can indeed get Elliptigos in the UK: https://www.elliptigo.co.uk/

I think they have a network of “ambassadors” round the UK to allow you to try them out.

I investigated this possibility when I was sidelined from running; I have cycled for as long as I have run (5 decades) and whilst I love cycling it doesn’t quite do the same thing for me as running. I ended up trying a kick bike/adult scooter which is a much cheaper option and got hooked. In fact it was very helpful in rehabilitating my injury and I’m back running again, but also scooting and also cycling. Allegedly several ultra runners use them for cross training and I can believe them. They were originally designed for cross country skiers to train in the summer and they do give a pretty intense full body workout if you want it.

My Kickbike RaceMax to give you an idea:

1045171C-B5DF-427C-9E83-0276393E50F2.jpeg
What happens when you get to a steep hill on one of these bikes? Riding uphill out of the saddle for any period of time beyond a couple of minutes is extremely hard work, tougher than running or walking uphill.
hercule

Post by hercule »

What happens when you get to a steep hill on one of these bikes? Riding uphill out of the saddle for any period of time beyond a couple of minutes is extremely hard work, tougher than running or walking uphill.
Much like running, you take smaller, more frequent kicks (you might go from 8-10 long kicks per side on flat ground to 3-4 when it gets steeper, do quicker leg changes (there are a couple of techniques kickbikers use, the speedy one is the “hop switch” but it needs a bit of practice to do well). If it all gets too much then jump off and run if you’re being athletic, or just walk and enjoy the view.

Despite the superficial similarities to bicycles and cycling, it’s much closer to running and cross country skiing. It took me a wee while to realise this, I’ve now got a new set of speed/effort concepts to add to my running and cycling ones.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Accepted wisdom is you have to do lots and lots of miles on a bike to compare with running.
Cycles are far to efficient. Also with winter coming you might prefer indoor training (bike or running)
jois

Post by jois »

briansnail wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 3:54pm Accepted wisdom is you have to do lots and lots of miles on a bike to compare with running.
Cycles are far to efficient. Also with winter coming you might prefer indoor training (bike or running)
Yes maybe miles but not necessarily time. An hour at zone one is very much the same running or cycling.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

jois wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 5:34pm
Yes maybe miles but not necessarily time. An hour at zone one is very much the same running or cycling.
+ 1. Nice to see a logical response. Whilst I haven't trained on the bike for ten years, I always found the HR monitor, nutrient and muscle mass measurements never lied. Though bikes always have that shortcoming, that specific muscles overdevelop (Nb. This weeks typical 193 miles bumbling along, isn't quite sufficient for exercise)