The AA 660

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
dodger1

The AA 660

Post by dodger1 »

Anybody seen this stupid idea from the AA?
Basically they are encouraging tourists to drive along some of the narrowest lanes in Cornwall, where there is just enough room for a car.
I often cycle along the lanes of S E Cornwall, particularly between the River Tamar and the Looe area. Generally the roads are reasonably quiet. Obviously busier in the summer months, but this could open them up to a never-ending stream of tourists who can't get within 1 metre of the hedge and don't know how to drive on narrow roads.
Madness and bad news for cyclists
mattheus

Re: The AA 660

Post by mattheus »

dodger1 wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 3:14pm Anybody seen this stupid idea from the AA?
Basically they are encouraging tourists to drive along some of the narrowest lanes in Cornwall, where there is just enough room for a car.
I often cycle along the lanes of S E Cornwall, particularly between the River Tamar and the Looe area. Generally the roads are reasonably quiet. Obviously busier in the summer months, but this could open them up to a never-ending stream of tourists who can't get within 1 metre of the hedge and don't know how to drive on narrow roads.
Madness and bad news for cyclists
First they ruined NW Scotland. Then they tried D&G (less success - so far ... )

Look out Cornwall. The drivist community has lost its mind.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd have to say I haven't and having searched I'm none the wiser.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Ditto. Googling "AA 660" just gives me American Airlines flight 660 (New York LGA to Chicago ORD, as it happens).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 3:44pm
I'd have to say I haven't and having searched I'm none the wiser.
Bmblbzzz wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 4:10pm Ditto. Googling "AA 660" just gives me American Airlines flight 660 (New York LGA to Chicago ORD, as it happens).
The AA and SW660:
https://southwest660.com

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Had to larf - there's a "Sustainability" section on that link.

After some old tosh about how you can drive it sustainably, they do hint at something more promising, not that I hold out much hope.

Quote:

"Future focus on cycling and travel by public transport

In phases 2 and 3 of the development of South West 660, we will be developing alternative itineraries for cyclists and users of public transport, developing an extensive car-free alternative for those wishing to travel that way. "
dodger1

Post by dodger1 »

Sorry guys. It should read SW660.
dodger1

Post by dodger1 »

PS Where next? A gradual expansion across the country?
Allowing the AA to sell advertising space to local businesses and thus make more profit for itself.
I have exchanged several e-mails with the AA over this and, basically, they say they're providing a service to motorists and, anyway, Cornwall lives on tourism so we should be grateful.
What is ironic is that, having led more motorists down our quiet lanes, they say they are planning routes for cyclists. You can't make it up!
peetee

Post by peetee »

I had to laugh too.
This is the first route description I read:
“ The A30 from Penzance to Lands End bypasses almost every sight in west Cornwall. Instead we suggest sticking close to the coast. Leave Newlyn on Cliff Road for fantastic views across Mounts Bay, before winding down into Mousehole. Then take Raginnis Hill along the cliff out of town, with breathtaking views of St Clement’s Isle. This narrow high-hedged lane leads through Castallack down to Lamorna Cove. If you head north to the B3315 you’ll pass the mysterious Merry Maidens Stone Circle”.
In that one small section they extoll the views and in the same breath recommend a lane with high hedges. The ‘fantastic views across Mounts Bay’ are behind you when travelling in the direction they suggest (perhaps the AA shop has a stock of 1970’s caravan-owner periscopes they’d like to see the back of (see what I did there? 8) )). They also recommend a diversion from their route. To top it all off they bemoan the lack of ‘sights’ on the main road then talk about a stone circle which is not on their route and can’t actually be seen without getting out of your car and walking over a style and across a field.
Lastly (that I can be bothered to think of anyway - I’m sure there’s more) there’s Mousehole. A village that is doing its best to encourage drivers to park on its perimeter so visitors and working locals alike can use the narrow harbour-side streets without constantly dodging lazy rubber-necked motorists.
The SW660 is ridiculous.
Last edited by peetee on 17 Aug 2022, 10:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
dodger1

Post by dodger1 »

I e-mailed Visit Cornwall today to complain about any support for this. They quite firmly said they definitely do not support the initiative and that they refused SW660 membership. Hooray. Some sensible thinking.
dodger1

Post by dodger1 »

I also posted 3 critical comments at intervals on SW660's Facebook page.
Needless to say they were all rapidly deleted. So much for "transparency"!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Oh goody, that'll be fun if the driver I met 2 years ago is anything to go by.
Other half wanted to see a particular landmark, Oh yes says I Daymer bay car park, so before returning to our accommodation off we went.
Turned into lane, car ahead was stopped in a passing place so I stopped at the wider part further back. They left passing place, I edged forward... saw his brake lights come on as he pulled into next passing place so pulled into the one he had exited, except car behind followed closely and tried and failed, to get into the same passing place.... it was pretty obvious that approaching vehicles were not going to get past, then the bomb shell.... she couldn't reverse!!!!!! By this time there was a queue of traffic ahead of me as it was the sort time to exit the beach.... so I could not go anywhere....
eventually someone who knew her managed to reverse her vehicle for her so that there was space for vehicles to pass.....when we could finally make progress down the lane, she turned into a property part way down..... how you can have a big car, not have the sense to ensure a vehicle has exited a passing place before commiting, be unable to reverse it while living on such a narrow lane was beyond belief.....

SW660 yes I can see that really working well..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

dodger1 wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:02pm I also posted 3 critical comments at intervals on SW660's Facebook page.
Needless to say they were all rapidly deleted. So much for "transparency"!
Do it on Friday night after they have all gone home....
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

dodger1 wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 7:34pm Sorry guys. It should read SW660.
You should able to edit the title, by going into your first post - if you want to.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

My cousin lives just off the main road between Sennen and Lands End.
He hates all tourists,particularly cyclists,because they slow him down doing his job :lol:
I'm sure he'll love this.
He does a 'road trip' most years driving to places similar to where he lives and doesn't see the irony in his actions.