Mike Burrows

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mig

Mike Burrows

Post by mig »

saddened to read of his passing yesterday. anything i read about him over the years was always interesting and informative. he would have been a great poster in many threads here!
Chris Jeggo

Re: Mike Burrows

Post by Chris Jeggo »

+1
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I've just been out to break the news to my Windcheetah.

Jonathan
hemo

Post by hemo »

Very sad news, such an innovative man.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

IME very innovative and strongly opinioned, but very approachable and happy to chat HPV. He will be sorely missed for all sorts of reasons: RIP.
"42"
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

:-(
He did the occasional YT video and seemed like one of those rare sorts who permanently thinks new ideas and - pop! - a couple of days later, he's made the idea into real life. Awsome.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rjb

Post by rjb »

Sad to here of his passing. I read his book Bicycle Design borrowed from the library years ago. An excellent read if you can get hold of a copy. I've been using his chain lub advice for several years until I moved on to waxing.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

I was quite sorry to hear this on the 8am news on the radio this morning. I think he will be missed in several fields locally. RIP.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Meeting and chatting to Mike at the World HPV championships in Kent, getting a signed copy of his book 'From Bicycle to Superbike' and a complementary plastic spoke already ranked high in my list of personal encounters - now such a precious memory :( .

At 70+ he was still racing as fast as he did in his younger days by dint of designing faster and faster recumbents. I remember him looking at his lap times and commenting that he was going faster than Chris Froome had in his latest TDF time trial.

Nice to see that some of the obituaries are recognising the 2D as one of his most innovative, practical but still ignored, designs. The final parade in the pictures below was of all Mike's bikes.

Pictures below:
IMG_0206c.jpg
IMG_0235c.jpg
IMG_0237c.jpg
mig

Post by mig »

rjb wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 11:37am Sad to here of his passing. I read his book Bicycle Design borrowed from the library years ago. An excellent read if you can get hold of a copy. I've been using his chain lub advice for several years until I moved on to waxing.
not sure i know that one....??
rjb

Post by rjb »

mig wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 12:09pm
rjb wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 11:37am Sad to here of his passing. I read his book Bicycle Design borrowed from the library years ago. An excellent read if you can get hold of a copy. I've been using his chain lub advice for several years until I moved on to waxing.
not sure i know that one....??
https://www.google.com/search?q=mike+bu ... e&ie=UTF-8
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

I met Mike briefly once, a very engaging man, he could talk bikes all day, a sad loss, he deserves more recognition than he was given, but I reckon he would have just said that's nice,nodded and then got on with whatever he was doing.
I was following what he was getting along with his 'Soup Dragon ' speed Racer concept, I admired his suck it & see approach to engineering , for him it was very much function over form.
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Thanks for posting the news - it's appreciated although now the world will seem to be a less magical place now that he's gone

I don't think his genius was very truely appreciated by bicycle manufacturers who seemed content to re-hash the same bicycle designs over and over again. There are very few like him in the cycle world and he will be deeply missed.

(Mike brought to the world, the single sided fork, the front and rear bicycle stub axle, zero rake, really short cranks amongst tge host of folding bikes, load carriers and recumbent cycles)
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Sad to hear the news.
Nice tribute on road.cc
https://road.cc/content/news/rememberin ... 295241?amp