When did Raleigh stop making roadsters and what replaced them?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Carlton green

Re: When did Raleigh stop making roadsters and what replaced them?

Post by Carlton green »

Thanks @ cycle tramp:
# To my eyes that’s a very practical looking bike - I might PM you at some time seeking a bit more info to help me similarly change the stem and bars one of my bikes.
# I’ve just bought a cheap copy of the recommended book.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

The handlebars certainly look ‘spot on’ for a utility bike. Is humpert the shape, or the make? If it’s not the shape, what is that shape called?
Mr Tom

Post by Mr Tom »

How about the Raleigh Chiltern? To me that feels like a roadster. I always see one parked near my work. I wonder if that was one of the last ones in that style.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

The Raleigh Twenty was probably the biggest factor. Raleigh's best-selling bike in the 1980s, and the same target market.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Here’s a 1991 Raleigh catalogue, German, so the model names probably don’t match those used here, but it includes a variety of hybrids (Trekking Bikes), and a last few lingering roadsters, Dutch Bikes, at the end, possibly catering for a very specific market.

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/ ... eigh91.pdf

And, lurking in the depths of the 1992 French catalogue, in one frame size only we have:
E161CD3B-7881-4706-9E2A-C6221FCAA98F.jpeg
Ginge_126

Post by Ginge_126 »

My Grandad had one in the 80's. A Raleigh Superbe from memory. It would have been a late Nottingham made model with cable brakes.

I had a 1954 Raleigh 4 Speed 'All Steel' Roadster, it was well used. I bought it for £50 second hand from memory (this was in the mid 2000's. Not alot of money and needed a practical workhorse to carry the kids about.
I used to commute 12miles each way on that. It was very heavy, but the most comfortable bike I had ever ridden bar none.

I now have a Swedish Roadster (Pilen Lyx, from Pilen Cykel Lab). The Flying Dutchman bike shop in London are I believe the only UK stockist. Tough bikes, well built and will last.

This is a very close modern day equivalent of my old Raleigh. It isn't anywhere near as heavy. The handlebars are swept back risers but not the traditional North Road type.