CAMPING

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Malky 1422

CAMPING

Post by Malky 1422 »

Can anyone advise about where to camp in the UK. I fancy a Wales tour. Camp sites when searching on the tippy tappy come up with Glamping Motor homes Tents for 6 people at around 25/30£ per night. Its just me one person with my bike and tent. In France its easy and Cheap. Every town over a set population has a municiple Camp site with excellent facilities . Cost 4 Euro per night at one in 2019. Rip Off Britain.
Psamathe

Re: CAMPING

Post by Psamathe »

Try checking the Archies listings. Either through their app or I use it mainly through https://cycle.travel (create your route then press the accommodation near route and uncheck the options other than camping. It still lists glamping, pods, etc. do you still need to Google sites it gives. I found it hard earlier this year in the UK as so many places are glamping sites.

Ian
Malky 1422

Post by Malky 1422 »

Thanks for this. I have had a look and done some experimenting. It shows more sites than I thought there was and I can try phoning one or two. I will learn with it and look into the App.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

On my latest south to north tour of Wales I paid £7-12 pppn. There was a fair positive correlation between price and facilities and I considered them all good value. However, like many places, they can be busy and noisy during school summer holidays, although the one near where I live in North Wales has a lot more empty spaces than it did at this time last year.

ukcampsite.co.uk is another listing website that you can try.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Malky 1422 wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:51pm Thanks for this. I have had a look and done some experimenting. It shows more sites than I thought there was and I can try phoning one or two. I will learn with it and look into the App.
Quite a number of the small sites are Camping & Caravan Club certificated locations, and officially members only.
Membership is about £40 (family - i.e. parents & 2 kids, with no single person discount), and also gives a discount of around 20% at the large club sites.

Whether you'd be accepted as a non-member just turning up will doubtless depend on the attitude of the site owner to the possibility of invalidating his C&CC insurance, but it's unlikely that you would be able to find out in advance.
Anecdotally, a fair few certificated sites will accept non members on bikes.

The Caravan & Motorhome Club operate similar certificated sites, which are also listed in Archies & ukcampsite, but they are mostly (if not all) no tents.