Cyprus to Introduce Compulsory Helmets

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Cyprus to Introduce Compulsory Helmets

Post by simonhill »

From road.cc

From January 2023, cyclists in Cyprus will have to wear a helmet after the country’s parliament passed an amendment to the Bicycles Law last month.

According to the amendment, helmets will soon be mandatory for anyone cycling on the island’s roads, bike paths, cycle corridors and cycle lanes, as well for any passenger carried in a special bike seat.

Under the new law, offenders will face a €50 for failing to comply, while the Registrar of Motor Vehicles has been given the authority to approve or reject helmet types.

Chrysis Pantelides, the MP who initially proposed the amendment, argued that there has been an increase in road traffic collisions involving cyclists, and that a mandatory helmet law could potentially save riders from serious injury or death.
Jdsk

Re: Cyprus to Introduce Compulsory Helmets

Post by Jdsk »

This is useful information in the "Touring & Expedition" section. Thanks for the heads-up.

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Apart from posting for others info, I was interested in this because I had thought of Cyprus for a winter getaway.

It had the added bonus of not being in Schengen , but I think it is joining soon.

So, bye, bye Cyprus.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Can people please post helmet commentary viewtopic.php?t=152741 and not on this thread, which should be used only for the impact on cycling touring plans.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
scottg

Post by scottg »

After carefully reading the rules, it seems only Greek helmets are permitted.
So pack accordingly.

OK to wear.....
Greek helmet.jpg
Not OK to wear....(mode Turkish)
Turkish.jpg
Turkish.jpg (3.83 KiB) Viewed 593 times
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
millimole

Post by millimole »

simonhill wrote:.
So, bye, bye Cyprus.
There's always the North.
Its a faff getting there because of the need to touchdown or change in Turkey, but it looks lovely, and reports are that the folk are very welcoming.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my moto g(30) using hovercraft full of eels.

Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Thanks, I will look at the North.

That article was interesting, but just reiterated what we already know. The point made about tourist and hire schemes is interesting (ie helmets putting people off). In Spain when a nationwide ban was being reviewed or something, local mayor's got it excluded from urban areas (can't remember full details).

Latest touring news is that Thailand have legalised marijuana. Certainly not the reason I'm heading there soon.

Edit: I thought this was still on the touring forum, my main interest and love.
Neil Wheadon

Post by Neil Wheadon »

Vorpal wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 3:06pm Can people please post helmet commentary viewtopic.php?t=152741 and not on this thread, which should be used only for the impact on cycling touring plans.
In my honest opinion, this needed to go here as it affects Touring. It's not a statement for and against.
I'm a non helmet wearing and am bored rigid by forums on this subject, so I would never look there, but I would look here for touring advice and yes this has an impact on touring in Cypress
Neil
Former CTC Tour Leader, now with Bikexplore
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Neil Wheadon wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 7:12pm
Vorpal wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 3:06pm Can people please post helmet commentary viewtopic.php?t=152741 and not on this thread, which should be used only for the impact on cycling touring plans.
In my honest opinion, this needed to go here as it affects Touring. It's not a statement for and against.
I'm a non helmet wearing and am bored rigid by forums on this subject, so I would never look there, but I would look here for touring advice and yes this has an impact on touring in Cypress
Neil
The topic is fine, here. The point being that this thread should be used for the touring & planning discussions. I copied and split this topic, with the usual helmet arguments on the other thread.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom