Pins and needles in hands

verdevelo

Pins and needles in hands

Post by verdevelo »

I suffer from pins and needles in my hands while on the bike to such an extent that, in one hand, this continues while off the bike. I do not think that the Carpel nerve is the cause, although the Ulnar nerve might be. I wear cycling mitts and have padded tape and try to keep changing hand position while riding. Is there anything else that I can do?
Stradageek

Re: Pins and needles in hands

Post by Stradageek »

It's a topic that comes up quite often, e.g. viewtopic.php?t=35438&hilit=needles.

If none of the advice or suggestions work there a solution that is 100% guaranteed, simply buy a recumbent bicycle. This solved all my neck, wrist, back and bum issues :D
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Don't make the mistake of assuming that it will always go away when you get off the bike just because it does now.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

A friend told me that pins and needles in hands can be caused by poor blood circulation, as well as nerve damage.
bluespeeder

Post by bluespeeder »

I have the same issues, for me the left hand little finger is worst affected. It is due to nerve entrapment where the nerve passes through a narrow channel. I have narrowed nerve channels in my neck (cervical stenosis) but also the shoulder and elbow can cause problems.
The best thing I find is keep moving hand position from hoods to the top of the bar and underhand grip on the top of the bar really helps although less stable.
Try not to let it get too numb and stop for a break if necessary.
You are doing all the right things with gel mitts and gel pads under the bar tape.
verdevelo

Post by verdevelo »

Thanks all. It is also my left hand which is most affected to the extent that the little finger is now permanently crooked. I shall try the underhand grip.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome
verdevelo wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:25pm I suffer from pins and needles in my hands while on the bike to such an extent that, in one hand, this continues while off the bike.
verdevelo wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 6:43pm It is also my left hand which is most affected to the extent that the little finger is now permanently crooked.
I strongly recommend seeking medical advice.

Jonathan
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

bluespeeder wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 4:17pm I have the same issues, for me the left hand little finger is worst affected. It is due to nerve entrapment where the nerve passes through a narrow channel. I have narrowed nerve channels in my neck (cervical stenosis) but also the shoulder and elbow can cause problems.
The best thing I find is keep moving hand position from hoods to the top of the bar and underhand grip on the top of the bar really helps although less stable.
Try not to let it get too numb and stop for a break if necessary.
You are doing all the right things with gel mitts and gel pads under the bar tape.
+1

Mine only started after i separated my shoulder 2 years ago. It does happen off the bike if my arm is in the wrong position as well but it seems to affect all digits pretty equally. And it can start within minutes of starting a ride but the effects are no different 5/6 hours down the line.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

The ulnar nerve innervates the little finger.
Pressure at the heel of the hand is more likely to irritate the radial nerve than the ulnar nerve....radial nerve irritation affects the thumb and first 3 fingers.
The ulnar nerve is likely to be irritated where it passes through "pinch points" ....in the spine, elbow and wrist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_nerve_entrapment
Is your reach to the bars uncomfortably long, so your elbows are straight, rather than having a slight bend?
Are your wrists at a comfortable angle?
Do you have a lot of weight on your hands?

Dupuytren's contracture is a common cause of a permanently bent little finger, but I would echo the advice to get it checked out.
offroader

Post by offroader »

This sounds quite unlikely but have you tried riding without gloves?

I've noticed that after a long gloveless ride sometimes my hands ache less than with. I think it's because without gloves I'm immediately aware of pressure points and can adjust but when wearing gloves I think there's still pressure enough to cause discomfort long term but it's below the immediate uncomfortable threshold.
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

As has been said already, seek medical advice. I went through a phase of havin pins and needles in both hands when riding.
(In fact I spent quite a bit if time riding hands off , in the right conditions, to alleviate the issue)
Eventually sought medical advice and was diagnosed as having Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
In simple terms the veins/ muscles pass through a narrow groove in the wrist . Over time and with various stresses ( Cycling, Computer Keyboards, Road drills are the Ones I remember the Surgeon mentioning, there were others, I ride a trike quite often which calls fir a bit more movement around the bars ,) you develop a repetitive strain issue . The various bits swell a bit and the groove that it all runs down isn't big enough any more. The surgeon opens the wrist up, then the healing process allows the extra bit of room for all to return to normal.
I still ride in Weightlifters Gloves which have an additional Velcro strap around the wrist for support just as a precautionary measure.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Barrowman wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 9:13am...
Eventually sought medical advice and was diagnosed as having Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
In simple terms the veins/ muscles pass through a narrow groove in the wrist . Over time and with various stresses ( Cycling, Computer Keyboards, Road drills are the Ones I remember the Surgeon mentioning, there were others, I ride a trike quite often which calls fir a bit more movement around the bars ,) you develop a repetitive strain issue . The various bits swell a bit and the groove that it all runs down isn't big enough any more. The surgeon opens the wrist up, then the healing process allows the extra bit of room for all to return to normal.
Quite a lot of things pass through the carpal tunnel, but no muscles and no large veins, and the most important for the current discussion is the median nerve.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel

Jonathan
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

I apologize for my lack of anatomical expertise. :oops:
Just trying to highlight a possible cause that could be rectified or improved.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

This has started happening to me, but only in my left hand, which curiously is where I wear my smartwatch with a magnetic wrist strap. Since I stopped wearing it - no problems!
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Sometimes the simplest solutions at the best 8)