GBDuro

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
ratherbeintobago

GBDuro

Post by ratherbeintobago »

By request, new thread.

Stage 2 started at 0800 this morning.

As an aside is there any way to tag other forum members in a post?
1982john

Re: GBDuro

Post by 1982john »

are they still doing what they did during covid where you can't even buy food or repairs for your bike without being DQd?
1982john

Post by 1982john »

also on the previous thread, someone mentioned everyone stopping at CP1. I think that's because they have an enforced rest period.
ratherbeintobago

Now coming up to CP2
1982john wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:26pm are they still doing what they did during covid where you can't even buy food or repairs for your bike without being DQd?
That seems unnecessarily hard but I suppose that’s why people do it. I know there’s a no-fly rule.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:59pm Now coming up to CP2
1982john wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:26pm are they still doing what they did during covid where you can't even buy food or repairs for your bike without being DQd?
That seems unnecessarily hard but I suppose that’s why people do it. I know there’s a no-fly rule.
I was reading the rules the other night as i sort of like the idea of giving it a go, they aren't always very clear! As i understand it you are allowed to buy food/drink along the way, you can buy bike parts if needed but you have to do any repairs yourself with your own equipment.

TBH, the rule about not giving or taking assistance from other riders is a bit draconian, would they really DQ you if you came across an injured rider and gave assistance? The winner of the Trans Europe thing was nearly DQ'd over buying another rider a €1 coke because he didn't have enough local currency, even though they swapped the funds.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
GuyBoden

Post by GuyBoden »

Stage 3 started at 8am Friday.

I talked to some of riders while I was on my usual Cheshire ride the other day, they were very slow with their fully loaded bikepacking gear, big tyres and lots of miles in their legs, but mostly enjoying the adventure. One rider went to sleep for 10mins on a bench I had just vacated.

Rule 1:
1. Don’t be a dick - Leave no trace, be nice, and endeavour to #bemoremike. (In memory of Mike Hall)

Rule 3:
Be self-supported throughout - No sleeping indoors, no support crews,
no food or gear caches, no gear sharing. These self-supported rules apply at
all times i.e. including whilst at checkpoints.

Dot watcher and current info:
https://dotwatcher.cc/race/gbduro-2022
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Looks as if you can buy repairs.
Adam Colvin was living his own mechanical nightmare. Working hard this morning to keep positive and not focus on the pain and niggles setting in on day 7 of the race, he noticed that his back tyre was ‘knackered’ (official bike mechanic terminology). The bike shop at Kielder also noticed he had some ‘dings’ (more technical diagnosis) in his wheel. Seeing as they were there, they also said to change the brake pads (these were possibly ‘guffed’).

Adam optimised the time while his bike got a half-service, and took a nap outside on the deck before reclaiming his steed and heading back onto the route with a very big smile on his face.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Interesting and generally rather fashionable choice of cycles. The Bontrager & Kona seem to be the outliers.
ratherbeintobago

I’m sure this is permitted on the TCR too?
Paulatic wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 7:47am Looks as if you can buy repairs.
GuyBoden

Post by GuyBoden »

Getting food from a passing cyclist seems to be classed as "Support", so against the rules.

See below:

"Steve Wikeley. Steve posted some reels today where he received food and help from a private individual after realising he had no food and wasn’t able to identify a way to purchase any. This appears to be outside support, so we will wait and see how this is managed by the organisers."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Chfb5ZDg1AC/?hl=en

More info:
https://dotwatcher.cc/race/gbduro-2022
GuyBoden

Post by GuyBoden »

GBDuro 2022 result for 2000km off road LEJOG