Pump, compact, that actually works.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
irc

Re: Pump, compact, that actually works.

Post by irc »

geocycle wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 5:52pmThe screw fit is good but can result in disaster if the valves unscrew with it.
Been there done that. Had to start walking home, luckily only 3 miles or so. Even luckier a car stopped and gave me and the bike a lift home.

The pump got tossed in the bin. Lever on pumps only for me now.
mjr

Re: Recommendations for Travel Track pump

Post by mjr »

Jamesh wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 10:14pm
Sweep wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 7:27am
freiston wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 10:38pm

Two very bold and astounding claims. At least tell us what the make/model is. My first thought was Tannus until you said available in all bike shops.
I think you'll find them next to the everlasting legs.
Next to the cycling wife obvs!!
Nope, the G&T's next to her... ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PJ520

Re: pumps for road bikes

Post by PJ520 »

Brucey wrote: 30 Oct 2017, 12:05am
To add insult to injury, CO2 diffuses out the tyre more quickly than air does,

Cheers
Are you sure about that Brucey.?From my O level chemistry Graham's Law of Effusion says the rate of effusion is inversely proportional to the square root of the molecular weight. CO2 has a higher MW than Nitrogen (air's main component) so I would have thought it was a better gas than air.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Brucey isn't able to post at the moment.

Many polymers are much more permeable to carbon dioxide than to nitrogen or oxygen.

Jonathan
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Sep 2022, 3:00pm Brucey isn't able to post at the moment.

Many polymers are much more permeable to carbon dioxide than to nitrogen or oxygen.

Jonathan
Well... you live and learn. Thanks Jonathan. I hope Brucey is not unwell. A lot of us out in internet land love his contributions.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PJ520 wrote: 8 Sep 2022, 3:11pm
Jdsk wrote: 8 Sep 2022, 3:00pm Brucey isn't able to post at the moment.

Jonathan
Well... you live and learn. Thanks Jonathan. I hope Brucey is not unwell. A lot of us out in internet land love his contributions.
He had a stroke. I think this goes to the heart of it

viewtopic.php?p=1589775#p1589775
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Sep 2022, 3:00pmMany polymers are much more permeable to carbon dioxide than to nitrogen or oxygen.
The end result is that if you use a CO2 cartridge to fix a puncture, it's best to let the tyre down and reinflate with your track pump when you get home.

Otherwise, you may end up wasting time looking for another puncture when you find the tyre soft a few days later.
jb

Post by jb »

The Road morph is an excellent pump but the gauge is impossible to read if your eyes aren't perfect. Best to take it apart and but a big red line where the pressure you want is on the scale, thus reducing the amount of squinting needed to read the thing.
Cheers
J Bro
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

TBH, I reckon that even a person with 20/20 vision would be unable to read it accurately, but the same applied to the teeny-weeny dial-type indicator on the Lezyne one that I had.

I like the idea of marking it at a predetermined pressure, although up to now I’ve managed OK on the basis of squeezing the tyre with my thumb, which was how we all managed before anyone put impossible to read indicators on portable pumps, from what I recall.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Just in case it was missed :wink:
jb wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 8:55pm The Road morph is an excellent pump but the gauge is impossible to read if your eyes aren't perfect. Best to take it apart and but a big red line where the pressure you want is on the scale, thus reducing the amount of squinting needed to read the thing.
Nearholmer wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 10:37pm TBH, I reckon that even a person with 20/20 vision would be unable to read it accurately, but the same applied to the teeny-weeny dial-type indicator on the Lezyne one that I had.

I like the idea of marking it at a predetermined pressure, although up to now I’ve managed OK on the basis of squeezing the tyre with my thumb, which was how we all managed before anyone put impossible to read indicators on portable pumps, from what I recall.
freiston wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 5:54pm
peterh11 wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 7:39am. . . My one criticism of it is that the pressure gauge is hard to read accurately as it seems to be the same as on the high pressure pumps, so if I had to replace it I might not bother with the version with pressure gauge.

Peter H
. . . Re. the pressure gauge - I have put a piece of yellow insulation tape around it at the mark for the "maximum" pressure for my tyres. I can see the red indicator getting closer to it and I know that when it's on the tape, I should stop. I also find it easy to "gauge" pumping to a lower pressure by the distance to the tape.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
PH

Post by PH »

jb wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 8:55pm The Road morph is an excellent pump but the gauge is impossible to read
Just to note there's several versions of Morph pumps and not all have a gauge.
I chose one without, on a day ride I can judge the pressure accurately enough to get me home. On a tour I'll have a small SKS gauge in the toolkit, I'm skeptical about the accuracy of pump gauges, I have three and they don't agree! Worse than that, two of them are not consistent.
jb

Post by jb »

Thumb pressure is okay for 28 tyres and above, but can be deceiving on thinner tyres. I've pumped them up until they felt hard only to find they are actually a long way below the pressure needed to prevent pinch punctures.
Cheers
J Bro
CJ

Post by CJ »

jb wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 8:55pm The Road morph is an excellent pump but the gauge is impossible to read if your eyes aren't perfect. Best to take it apart and but a big red line where the pressure you want is on the scale, thus reducing the amount of squinting needed to read the thing.
I agree it's not easy to read, that is the price of lightweight and compactness, but it is possible. Like anything unfamiliar, it takes some getting used to. Persistence pays. So many times someone I'm helping has prodded their tyre with a thumb and said "I think that's hard enough", but when I squint closely at the little gauge I have to tell them no, we're still only halfway there. Pumping up bike tyres is not an exact science, near enough is good enough, and this gauge is an order of magnitude better than a thumb!

I'm 68 by the way and wear varifocals - all of the time. A lot of cyclists, so I find, are reluctant to accept that they need glasses for cycling and muddle on far too long with putting on and taking off cheap reading glasses that don't exactly match their ideal prescription and get dusty and smeared in a pocket.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
jb

Post by jb »

CJ wrote: 4 Jan 2023, 6:48pm
I agree it's not easy to read, that is the price of lightweight and compactness, but it is possible. Like anything unfamiliar, it takes some getting used to. Persistence pays. So many times someone I'm helping has prodded their tyre with a thumb and said "I think that's hard enough", but when I squint closely at the little gauge I have to tell them no, we're still only halfway there. Pumping up bike tyres is not an exact science, near enough is good enough, and this gauge is an order of magnitude better than a thumb!

I'm 68 by the way and wear varifocals - all of the time. A lot of cyclists, so I find, are reluctant to accept that they need glasses for cycling and muddle on far too long with putting on and taking off cheap reading glasses that don't exactly match their ideal prescription and get dusty and smeared in a pocket.
Yes, but I won't take my expensive glasses out cycling, I have of late taken to carrying a small magnifying glass that slides into a plastic case - it's most useful I find for reading small print etc. Without the encumbrance of a steel glasses case needed to protect decent spectacles.
Not great for reading gauges whilst pumping vigorously though.
Cheers
J Bro
brumster

Post by brumster »

Maybe there is a gap in the market for a mini pump ( or attachment) that beeps when a pre- selected pressure is reached - like the air pumps found at car garages / petrol stations.