Returning to Cycling after 16 Years

kncowans

Re: Advice for returning to Cycling after 16 Years

Post by kncowans »

Hello

Thanks for the Reply.

Yes, my Awareness of my Surroundings etc. is heightened.

Seeing the Details in things can be exhilarating at times, for example in Nature but it can be troublesome.

I just need to get out on the Bike more to build my confidence which at the moment is difficult as I do not cope well with Hot Weather and it is currently 30 Degrees or so here and has been for the last few Days.

I will be picking up my Garmin Edge Explore 2 on Tuesday so that will help me discover Routes in my Area.

Thanks

Kevin
kncowans

Post by kncowans »

Hello all

I hope you are well.

I have just managed to get out on the Bike for the first time since the Hot Weather and whilst it is Dry, it has been about a Week.

This was only the Third time out on the Bike, all I managed was down my Road, through a Passageway, along the Path through a Green Space, through Two Bollards, they still worry me, onto the Next Estate, did a small loop and then back Home again, the same way.

Going out I did stop at the Bollards just to see how much clearance I have, and, if I ride through the Bollards in the Centre of the Gap then I have plenty of space either side so that is good to know, I did not stop at the Bollards coming back Home so hopefully that obstacle is conquered.

This seems to be all I can manage at the moment as I am quite shaky on the Bike, not too bad but not great :(

Do you think that the shakiness will subside the more I ride?

It could also be that this is the first Time out again in nearly a Week due to the Weather, so.....

Any Tips or Reassurance are most welcome :)

Thanks in advance

Kevin
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

kncowans wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 6:28pm Hello all

I hope you are well.

I have just managed to get out on the Bike for the first time since the Hot Weather and whilst it is Dry, it has been about a Week.

This was only the Third time out on the Bike, all I managed was down my Road, through a Passageway, along the Path through a Green Space, through Two Bollards, they still worry me, onto the Next Estate, did a small loop and then back Home again, the same way.

Going out I did stop at the Bollards just to see how much clearance I have, and, if I ride through the Bollards in the Centre of the Gap then I have plenty of space either side so that is good to know, I did not stop at the Bollards coming back Home so hopefully that obstacle is conquered.

This seems to be all I can manage at the moment as I am quite shaky on the Bike, not too bad but not great :(

Do you think that the shakiness will subside the more I ride?

It could also be that this is the first Time out again in nearly a Week due to the Weather, so.....

Any Tips or Reassurance are most welcome :)

Thanks in advance

Kevin
Like all things practise helps with confidence and ability, do have another go tomorrow. The shakiness will disappear in time (once you’ve ridden some miles over some months) and you’ll completely forget about it.

Beware that bollards can sometimes signify no access to people on bicycles, ok to push your bike but not ride it.

Riding slowly without falling off or loosing directional control is a skill, you’ll get it eventually. If bollards or some other feature worry you then stop and push your bike past them, you’ll be dismounted for seconds and on your way again very quickly.

As adults and experienced riders we forget how much of our own knowledge we take for granted; cut yourself some slack, learn as best you can and take pleasure in what you manage to do.

Well done in getting out there and having a go. 👏
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
kncowans

Post by kncowans »

Hello

Thanks for the Reply and kind words.

The Bollards are there between Two sections of Path to stop larger motorised vehicles from gaining access along the Path.

I will try to get out again Tomorrow assuming it stays Dry.

Thanks

Kevin
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I often take out novice or returning cyclists. They think that riding slowly is safer but the opposite it true.

Riding slowly you wobble and feel insecure.

Ride a bit faster and the wheels create a gyroscopic force and the shaking reduces.

You can do it. Little and often is the way.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If you can consider commuting by bike or other utility use. When I got back on a bike it was to reduce car use, save money, get fit and get to work. I commuted 7 miles each way. That's 3 miles less than the car route. I learnt the traffic patterns on my route and the best way to ride it. By doing the same route at the same time every day helped me a lot with confidence. As did following an obviously more experienced commuter through a very busy junction on my route. His confidence showed me when I nervously followed him that sometimes being in what looks like a more exposed road position was actually the safest place to be. I later paid back what he'd unknowingly taught me to a very nervous, new, commuter. I was most n pleased to see her riding very confide through the same junction I'd led her through to show her the best way through just 3 weeks prior.

The other advantage of a regular commute is you can easily see improvements in performance through fitness but also confidence.

If you can't commute then I suggest you have a regular cycling route that you ride at the same time every week. It's the familiarity that could very well help you.
aflook

Post by aflook »

Tangled Metal wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 10:56pm As did following an obviously more experienced commuter through a very busy junction on my route. His confidence showed me when I nervously followed him that sometimes being in what looks like a more exposed road position was actually the safest place to be.
But please "follow" in the sense of "use the same route". Following on someone's wheel through traffic can be dangerous as they might be more confident, faster or more foolhardy!

Sounds like you've already cracked the "getting back into cycling" thing because you're going out regularly and enjoying it. When I started cycling (albeit as a child) I used to go over the same route again and again until I felt confident and then started adding quiet local roads. I still think of those days with fondness. Every suburban street had its own character or points of interest. Now I live near the Peak District I have favourite views or stretches of road which are just plain fun. I do like cycling over bridges big and small for some unexplained reason.

All the best for happy discoveries
Adrian
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Scaling that up to motorcycle riding -- if I haven't been on it over the winter by the time the summer arrives I'm riding around like an ole granny but by the end of the week I'm knee down at the roundabouts. The more you do it the easier it gets.
I am here. Where are you?
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I will be picking up my Garmin Edge Explore 2 on Tuesday so that will help me discover Routes in my Area.
In one of the earlier posts I noticed something about a garmin edge, I’ve no experience of them. For navigation I use a paper map and a compass which is perhaps very old style and cheap but it works very effectively for me - and likewise worked well for literally generations of folk before me. Of course electronic devices can be a great help to some folk but it’s OK to use both old and new navigation aids together … or indeed whichever method / tools you want in isolation.

As an aside traditional compasses are best used away from steel and electric items (because nearness to then can help to produce slightly inaccurate readings). Map and compass use needs a little skill, but school children manage well enough and it’s got to be easier than using some of the electronic devices that I’ve come across. On the plus side a map and compass can cost little, can weight little and can take up little space; they don’t suffer from flat batteries and they can be relied upon to point you in the right direction and get you home - I find that very reassuring.

A piece of general advice that I had meant to give earlier was to build cycling into your life, in what practical ways that you can. When I go to the local shops I ride my bike, when I post a letter I ride my bike, when I lived within a reasonable distance of work I commuted by bike and when I lived within a reasonable distance of town and city centres I used my bike. Each ride, whether three minutes or thirty, helps to contribute to skills, fitness and familiarity.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
kncowans

Post by kncowans »

Hello all

Thanks for the Replies.

I have had a difficult Week and have not been up to going out on the Bike

I am determined to get comfortable on the Bike as it will give me a level of freedom that I really need.

Call me Stubborn.

I will try to get back on the Bike, hopefully this Week but my Psyche can be unpredictable at times.

Thanks

Kevin
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

kncowans wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 9:49pm Hello all

Thanks for the Replies.

I have had a difficult Week and have not been up to going out on the Bike

I am determined to get comfortable on the Bike as it will give me a level of freedom that I really need.
:)
Call me Stubborn.

I will try to get back on the Bike, hopefully this Week but my Psyche can be unpredictable at times.

Thanks

Kevin
If it helps, and I hope that it does, a ride on one’s bike can simply be taking it out of your home and riding it a few yards up the road. The important thing is not the distance but rather that you took the bike out :D ; over time small steps can lead to slightly longer ones and so on, etc. :)
Last edited by Carlton green on 25 Aug 2022, 10:41am, edited 1 time in total.
kncowans

Post by kncowans »

Hello

Thanks for the Reply and the kind words, it is appreciated.

Kevin
evag72

Post by evag72 »

Hi!
If you live somewhere scenic/have local trails (paved, or unpaved depending on bike) get out there and ride to enjoy nature. Don’t worry about stats as you ride. Build up your love of cycling again, and the rest will come with time as you enjoy it more and more!

Post by kncowans »

Hello all

I hope you are well.

Well, unfortunately, I have not been able to get on my Bike since Last September (ish) due to some issues.

I went out on the Bike This Morning which unfortunately did not go well :(

I was very shaky and I managed just about Half a Mile before my Legs started feeling Weak, I kept going in the hope that my Legs would recover, unfortunately, that did not happen, a short Distance later, my Legs gave way and would not support me.

At this point I had to stop, even straddling the Bike was difficult as my Legs would not support me and I could not Dismount because of my Legs.

Eventually, I was able to Dismount the Bike, waited for awhile until my Legs would support me again and I then Walked Home, slowly, pushing the Bike.

My Physical Health is pretty good so this is not how I was expecting things to go, that is for sure :(

Does anyone have any advice how I can strengthen my Legs?

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance

Kevin
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'm sorry that didn't go well.

How far can you walk without stopping to catch your breath?

Do you have a general practitioner?

Jonathan